“Place for a special occasion”
Review of Rui Paula DOP

Rui Paula DOP
Reserve with
Rui Paula DOP is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 1,681 Restaurants in Porto
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: In the first quarter of 2010, Rui Paula returned to his homeland, OPorto, with the opening of the DOP restaurant. The new space is situated in the Palace of the Arts - Talent Factory, in Largo de S. Domingos in the historic city center, classified as World Heritage. This building is full of history. It began as the S. Domingos Convent and remained active since the fourteenth century, as a venue for auctions and council meetings. In 1834, served as the headquarters of the Lisbon (later Portugal Bank), and between 1934 and 1989 hosted the Douro Insurance Company. The Palace of Arts, now under the jurisdiction of the Youth Foundation, aims to "establish itself as a center of creativity and innovation of national and international excellence, professionally promoting young designers / artists, and be the dynamic center of the historic center as a cluster of arts and creative industries, enhancing its ability to attract creative professionals and tourism." The concept of the Palace of Arts fits perfectly in the Rui Paula project, who understands the gastronomy field as a creation with a strong cultural component. DOP has been designed to operate as a good taste, space cosmopolitan and yet familiar, and the generator of exciting dining experiences. The restaurant, with capacity for 65 people is provided with the latest equipment and has two distinct and complementary spaces: one show cooking, where the service is faster and more economical, and a traditional but innovative cuisine and dinning room.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Place for a special occasion”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

This is a really good, upmarket, restaurant but with wonderful food and very friendly and helpful staff. Took my wife here for her birthday and it was a great experience

Visited March 2014

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wow!”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

After many traditional Portuguese meals (most of which were excellent), this restaurant was a wonderful change. We were welcomed by the friendly staff on a rainy night and the atmosphere couldn't have been warmer although the space is a bit austere. The friendly and helpful staff perfectly paced the cutting-edge take on Portuguese cuisine. Both 70 Euro tasting menus had tantalizing choices and each one that we selected was better than the next.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank bobvigersk
Paris, France
“Did not enjoy at all”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I went to this restaurant with a couple of girlfriends after reading a great review on French guide "Cartoville". the review said the restaurant was great with prices ranging from 14€ to 35€.
I tried to check on the net but it was impossible to read the menu on their website and on tripadvisor people were only talking about the seventy-something prix fixe menu.

Well guess what? I saw nothing at 14€ on the menu: the cheapest item was an apetizer or a desert at 19€. I mean really??? 19 € for a desert or an appetizer? The place is not even michelin-rated and then this is Porto!
So we just ordered a main course. The size of the main course had the prix fixe size.
Actually, when I order a 30€ plate, I expect to get more than 3 bites befire I finish it!

The sommelier recommended a wine by the glass which seemed totally oxydated

Funny surprise at the end: they charged us 11€ for 2 bottles of house water that we did'nt even order! the waiters didn't ask if we wanted them or not, they just kept on pouring us and bringing the bill at the end.

I just hated the entire experience, did not enjoy the food nore the service and I'm so disapointed at myself that I paid 50€ to go there!

Will never buy a Cartoville guide again! And obviously, wont go back to this place.

• Visited January 2014
4 Thank Marie S
London, United Kingdom
“Nasty experiences shadows all good ones.”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I would not have reported the today experience if i did not have another bad experience.
Today I wanted to make a reservation for 14 feb. which happens to be valentines day.. And because of that I had to pay 30 percent in advance. I dine out a few times per week and never in my life I have been asked to pay in advance. The normal procedure some restaurants apply is to take credit card derails as guarantee you show up.
The other experience which is bothering me now for long time was the following. As we were a regular guest at Dop we found dome wines which we liked a lot and we used to order. However last summer friends took us there for dinner and my partner asked as usual for the same wine.. The sommelier however suggested we should try something else. And it is sometimes nice to follow the suggestion of the sommelier.. And it was indeed a good wine. We did not ask how much it was as a good sommelier will tell you in case there is a big price difference. What a mistake we made trusting the professionalism of their sommelier. When the bill was presented the wine was3x the price we paid normally for our preferred wine. It was especially embarrassing as our friends who invited us had to pay for it.
Things became clear when we saw that the glass of port which was suggested came from the same vineyard.. The sommelier must have had an incentive to promote this wine.
We had wonderful dinners there as without doubt Dop is one of the best restaurant in Porto.However these experiences put this restaurant at the bottom of my list for a long time to come.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Ronald F
Hong Kong, China
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best meal in Portugal”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Intercontinental hotel recommended this restaurant to us. We tried the degustation menu, 8 courses meal. All of the dishes were delicious, tastes were light, modern , and refreshing. The waiters were professional and attentive. They picked the wine for us and was delightful. This was the best meal we had in Portugal.

• Visited January 2014