“Once you get used to the high tech room, these 4Rooms are the best value B@B of Porto”
Review of THE 4ROOMS

THE 4ROOMS
Ranked #41 of 168 Porto B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We stayed at the 4Rooms during a week. The pictures on the website looked very promising and the actual service was even better. Once you get used to the high tech domotic system and the small size of the bathroom, the overall experience is outstanding. A special mention goes to Fabiana, who gave excellent advise (in perfect English) regarding restaurants and visits in the Douro valley. Thank you, I hope we'll be able to make another visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for THE 4ROOMS

Reviewed January 16, 2014

My husband, 3 teenage boys and I enjoyed Porto and a big reason that it was so wonderful was because of Catarina. She welcomed us and we were placed in the Sky Loft and the Garden Loft. The Sky Loft was very roomy, nice and as the boys will attest, some of the fastest WiFi ever. The Garden Loft was very nice and quiet. The bathrooms in both were very roomy and comfortable for Europe. Catarina was always very attentive to the service, sitting us down and showing us the map and several sites to see and asked what we wanted to do and see in Porto. She also made my husband a gluten free breakfast every morning that he enjoyed and the boys were very happy with the breakfast. She always asked what time we wanted breakfast and had everything ready promptly. There was always a snack, fruit or a cake, every afternoon and the boys definitely looked forward to their afternoon snack. We had to leave very early on our last day and Catarina had juice, yogurts and bread for us before we left at 6 AM.

We enjoyed the proximity to the water and the wonderful path to run, bike and just walk. We rented bikes and rode on the walkway along the water many times to downtown and also to the sandy beach. Also, there is a gym very close that my husband enjoyed the pool and weights. We are a very active family, so we enjoyed the running paths, gym and the ability to bike.

Porto is a lovely city and we enjoyed the Foz area and the restaurants and shops and all the festivities around. Porto is definitely a city that my family and I want to visit again and we will definitely stay at the 4Rooms with Catarina as our hostess. A 5 star B&B for our family.

Room Tip: The Sky Loft is the largest and very comfortable. The Garden Loft was also very nice and it was ni...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MaryKit
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed at 4Rooms in Foz, Porto recently during a trip to Portugal with my sister. Before we even started our trip, I noticed the excellent service. Fabiana emailed me to confirm reservations, upgrade our room, and confirm our travel plans. Once we arrived, the clean modern, large room was contrasted with the quaint streets of Foz. Fabiana provided us with many suggestions for places to visit in Foz and Porto, and was able to arrange excellent tours of the Port wine cellars in Porto, which was a nice 45 minute walk along the river or an easy 10 minute bus ride away. We very much enjoyed the included breakfast, which was a large, typical European style breakfast. In Foz, there are gourmet restaurants, and a beautiful path along the Douro river and Atlantic Ocean for walking, running, biking, and sight seeing. The 4Rooms in Foz is the best place to stay for smart, modern travelers who enjoy the sea and a smaller town, but don't want to be too far from the city sights.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Portugalwinelover
Reviewed December 18, 2013

When I saw the overwhelmingly positive reviews of 4Rooms, I was a bit skeptical. Last time I had booked a place with such high ratings, it turned into a bit of a disaster. This, however, was not the case with 4Rooms. This may be my favorite place I have ever stayed.

Catarina made me feel incredibly welcome and comfortable from the moment I arrived, which is especially nice as a solo traveler. As the name suggests, it only has four rooms. Every detail about the home and styling are designed to make guests feel welcome, warm and relaxed. Catarina went above and beyond the call of duty to make me feel welcome, and also, she was extremely helpful with tourist information, rental cars, port tastings, and restaurant recommendations. Breakfast was fantastic every day! The whole experience was like being taken care of by a family member - no scratch that - it is like being taken care of by your favorite family member!

4Rooms is not located in the heart of Porto, but that turned out to be a good think, I think. Downtown Porto was fun for visiting, but it was nice to get away from the center and stay in a nice residential area. It was only a short bus or trolly ride to the center of town, and I think the food and shopping options were better by 4Rooms. For first time visitors, it is not near the metro line (I took the Metro part of the way into town from the airport, and from there it was a 10 euro cab ride). The official photos on the website I do not think capture how warm and welcoming this place really is.

I was traveling solo and stayed in the Double S room, which I believe is the smallest, but it had plenty of space. The room is actually just off the main house, separated by a few meters through a private garden. This room also had another small private garden (protected by a solid high wall) off the bedroom side, that had its own private entrance to the street. It was very safe, very quiet and very private. The room was extremely warm and comfortable. My two big tests for any place is the bed and the shower. The bed was very comfortable and the shower could be my absolute favorite in the world (great water pressure!). Now that I am home, I wish I was back in Double S.

Some notes for my fellow American travelers: The room was a good size, and good storage in the closets, but it would be easier to move about with two smaller bags than one larger bag. Also, the bathroom is bigger than most in Europe, but smaller than what we would see in the US. In the bathroom for this room, it might be a bit cosy getting to the toilet for some of my larger countrymen.

There are places where the rooms are bigger, or the view might be better, but I can't think of an experience that I enjoyed more than staying here. I can't think back to Porto without thinking of how wonderful an establishment it is. I would recommend 4Rooms without reservation.

Room Tip: Double S had its own private entrance and garden which was very nice.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Fos really is a 10 minute bus/15 minute trolley ride to All the sites in Porto. More importantly, after seeing the touristy sites in Porto, you return to Fos....the wealthiest and nicest area of Porto where restaurants and shopping are better than touristy downtown. The Four Rooms B&B was very chic chic. Very clean, very nice, very good atmosphere, very quiet and relaxed. We were so happy we selected Four Rooms over other Trip Advisor locations we considered. I would definitely highly recommend this B&B to my friends on holiday in Porto, Portugal.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 27, 2013

My husband and I spent my birthday at The 4Rooms and so glad we did! The house looked like an interior decorating magazine come to life. But unlike those magazines (where I often think, this looks ideal but how would I ever live in it - what if I spill my tea, track in mud...), we were made to feel at home.

Sometimes in a B&B all the guests are stacked too close together, but the layout of this house - with one of the four rooms across the street, one accessible by a separate entrance and two at opposite ends of the upper floor - gave us lots of privacy. We particularly enjoyed lounging in the covered courtyard (and grateful it was covered as it was raining!).

We were in the smallest room, which was certainly diminutive, but perfectly adequate and peaceful. I really enjoyed the whirlpool tub and spent most of my time in the room in that tub!

The location in Foz do Douro means that you are a bus or tram ride from the centre of Porto, but it was an easy bus or train ride in, and, travelling as a couple, we enjoyed the selection of great restaurants and bars (especially Confeitaria Tavi for dessert with a view of the sea and the Bonaparte Pub) in easy walking distance. Having been raised in a beach town, I loved that the ocean (where there were some spectacular 15 foot waves) was a five minute walk away!

Catarina and Fabiana were great, and we loved our breakfast, especially the pumpkin jam (though the first morning, we mistook the bread course for the whole meal and foolishly stuffed ourselves with bread before the rest arrived!). It is worth noting though that quite a lot of the time, there is no staff around - great for privacy and makes sense given the small size of the B&B but make sure you ask any questions when you check in or at breakfast. They booked us on a great tour of Sandeman's port cellar - and glad they did as it was fully booked (and we got in free!).

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We had a very enjoyable four day visit to Porto. We could not have been better served in any respect. Breakfasts were excellent and Catarina takes great pride in looking after everything at the 4Rooms. We will recommend it to our friends.
We liked the city and enjoyed a wonderful day trip to the Douro valley, where everything had been arranged for us by Catarina - visits to two wineries, one large and one small family place where they still crush the grapes by foot - and a lovely lunch spot.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the room across the road, once we got used to the idea.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porto
Hotel Boa Vista
#64 of 168 in Porto
No photo provided
Casa de Cadoucos
#125 of 244 in Porto

Been to THE 4ROOMS? Share your experiences!