“Modern bed and breakfast with splendid service in a town by the sea.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of THE 4ROOMS

THE 4ROOMS
Ranked #29 of 149 Porto B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Francisco, California
“Modern bed and breakfast with splendid service in a town by the sea.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed at 4Rooms in Foz, Porto recently during a trip to Portugal with my sister. Before we even started our trip, I noticed the excellent service. Fabiana emailed me to confirm reservations, upgrade our room, and confirm our travel plans. Once we arrived, the clean modern, large room was contrasted with the quaint streets of Foz. Fabiana provided us with many suggestions for places to visit in Foz and Porto, and was able to arrange excellent tours of the Port wine cellars in Porto, which was a nice 45 minute walk along the river or an easy 10 minute bus ride away. We very much enjoyed the included breakfast, which was a large, typical European style breakfast. In Foz, there are gourmet restaurants, and a beautiful path along the Douro river and Atlantic Ocean for walking, running, biking, and sight seeing. The 4Rooms in Foz is the best place to stay for smart, modern travelers who enjoy the sea and a smaller town, but don't want to be too far from the city sights.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Portugalwinelover

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

When I saw the overwhelmingly positive reviews of 4Rooms, I was a bit skeptical. Last time I had booked a place with such high ratings, it turned into a bit of a disaster. This, however, was not the case with 4Rooms. This may be my favorite place I have ever stayed.

Catarina made me feel incredibly welcome and comfortable from the moment I arrived, which is especially nice as a solo traveler. As the name suggests, it only has four rooms. Every detail about the home and styling are designed to make guests feel welcome, warm and relaxed. Catarina went above and beyond the call of duty to make me feel welcome, and also, she was extremely helpful with tourist information, rental cars, port tastings, and restaurant recommendations. Breakfast was fantastic every day! The whole experience was like being taken care of by a family member - no scratch that - it is like being taken care of by your favorite family member!

4Rooms is not located in the heart of Porto, but that turned out to be a good think, I think. Downtown Porto was fun for visiting, but it was nice to get away from the center and stay in a nice residential area. It was only a short bus or trolly ride to the center of town, and I think the food and shopping options were better by 4Rooms. For first time visitors, it is not near the metro line (I took the Metro part of the way into town from the airport, and from there it was a 10 euro cab ride). The official photos on the website I do not think capture how warm and welcoming this place really is.

I was traveling solo and stayed in the Double S room, which I believe is the smallest, but it had plenty of space. The room is actually just off the main house, separated by a few meters through a private garden. This room also had another small private garden (protected by a solid high wall) off the bedroom side, that had its own private entrance to the street. It was very safe, very quiet and very private. The room was extremely warm and comfortable. My two big tests for any place is the bed and the shower. The bed was very comfortable and the shower could be my absolute favorite in the world (great water pressure!). Now that I am home, I wish I was back in Double S.

Some notes for my fellow American travelers: The room was a good size, and good storage in the closets, but it would be easier to move about with two smaller bags than one larger bag. Also, the bathroom is bigger than most in Europe, but smaller than what we would see in the US. In the bathroom for this room, it might be a bit cosy getting to the toilet for some of my larger countrymen.

There are places where the rooms are bigger, or the view might be better, but I can't think of an experience that I enjoyed more than staying here. I can't think back to Porto without thinking of how wonderful an establishment it is. I would recommend 4Rooms without reservation.

Room Tip: Double S had its own private entrance and garden which was very nice.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Kailua, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Fos really is a 10 minute bus/15 minute trolley ride to All the sites in Porto. More importantly, after seeing the touristy sites in Porto, you return to Fos....the wealthiest and nicest area of Porto where restaurants and shopping are better than touristy downtown. The Four Rooms B&B was very chic chic. Very clean, very nice, very good atmosphere, very quiet and relaxed. We were so happy we selected Four Rooms over other Trip Advisor locations we considered. I would definitely highly recommend this B&B to my friends on holiday in Porto, Portugal.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

My husband and I spent my birthday at The 4Rooms and so glad we did! The house looked like an interior decorating magazine come to life. But unlike those magazines (where I often think, this looks ideal but how would I ever live in it - what if I spill my tea, track in mud...), we were made to feel at home.

Sometimes in a B&B all the guests are stacked too close together, but the layout of this house - with one of the four rooms across the street, one accessible by a separate entrance and two at opposite ends of the upper floor - gave us lots of privacy. We particularly enjoyed lounging in the covered courtyard (and grateful it was covered as it was raining!).

We were in the smallest room, which was certainly diminutive, but perfectly adequate and peaceful. I really enjoyed the whirlpool tub and spent most of my time in the room in that tub!

The location in Foz do Douro means that you are a bus or tram ride from the centre of Porto, but it was an easy bus or train ride in, and, travelling as a couple, we enjoyed the selection of great restaurants and bars (especially Confeitaria Tavi for dessert with a view of the sea and the Bonaparte Pub) in easy walking distance. Having been raised in a beach town, I loved that the ocean (where there were some spectacular 15 foot waves) was a five minute walk away!

Catarina and Fabiana were great, and we loved our breakfast, especially the pumpkin jam (though the first morning, we mistook the bread course for the whole meal and foolishly stuffed ourselves with bread before the rest arrived!). It is worth noting though that quite a lot of the time, there is no staff around - great for privacy and makes sense given the small size of the B&B but make sure you ask any questions when you check in or at breakfast. They booked us on a great tour of Sandeman's port cellar - and glad they did as it was fully booked (and we got in free!).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

We had a very enjoyable four day visit to Porto. We could not have been better served in any respect. Breakfasts were excellent and Catarina takes great pride in looking after everything at the 4Rooms. We will recommend it to our friends.
We liked the city and enjoyed a wonderful day trip to the Douro valley, where everything had been arranged for us by Catarina - visits to two wineries, one large and one small family place where they still crush the grapes by foot - and a lovely lunch spot.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the room across the road, once we got used to the idea.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed in 4 rooms last month and really enjoyed it. We much preferred being in Foz to the centre of the city (it's only 10 mins away on the bus) and were very well looked after by Fabiana. She arranged a visit to the Ferreira port cellar for us, booked a table at a restaurant nearby which was excellent and even booked and printed out some train tickets for us as we were travelling on to Lisbon. Breakfast at 4 rooms was delicious and Porto itself is charming. My only suggestion is that a sign outside 4 rooms would help those making their own way there. Overall, I highly recommend 4 rooms to couples or friends.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lorenzo182
Limoux
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

They do their best to hide their bijou B&B in Porto. In a cobbled street it blends in so much you must know the number or you would pass it by. Charming Fabienne welcomed us with a drink and homemade cake and the room was airy and comfortable. The breakfast was very good although the presentation in part reminded me of an airplane meal...1st class, though. Highly recommended.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple