“Modern and relaxing stay in Porto”
Review of Pensao Favorita

and 1 more site!
Pensao Favorita
Ranked #15 of 150 Porto B&B and Inns
Germany
“Modern and relaxing stay in Porto”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed here for two nights during a Portugal trip. Pensao Favorita has nice and spacious rooms with a small bathroom. Furnishing is quite minimalistic and reduced to a minimum with modern objects - very nice if you like this style. Breakfast was served on the terrace with freshly squeezed juice. Location is a bit outside of the main part of the town but it is a nice walk down to Rio Douro and not so touristy. If you arrive by car be prepared to park in one of the garages down the street. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank knabberbox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
paris
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We had a very nice stay in Pensao Favorita. Emma and all the staff are very nice, they do their best and even more to make you feel good. The restaurant is very good and cheap. The location is fantastic. I would strongly recommend it!!

Room Tip: the room with the balcony is great!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank caro_a_paris
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was my favorite place that I stayed at in Portugal.

First, I was traveling alone and got there really early. They took my stuff and put it in storage, let me go downstairs to eat after they told me about all the places that I could explore for the day and come back later to my room. They were extremely helpful and nice and very sincere about wanting you to have a great time and experience. Also, there breakfast was the best: fresh squeezed juice, different homemade breads and muffins, better cheeses as well as the usual eggs, coffee and cereal.

I picked the outside garden rooms (50 Euros) and they ended up being comparable to outside studio cottages. They had a great design. Real double/queen bed (not the usual two singles next to each other), they had space with a chair and desk if you wanted to read or work a bit, and a great outside patio overlooking the green space that was amazing. Very Japanese garden like. I was afraid it might be cold but they have radiant floor heating in both the room and bathroom and it kept me toasty warm.

One thing when thinking about Porto and Coimbra. First, both are great. However, you don't need to pack up and stay but can take the train to the other for the day and then return. With that said, I really enjoyed Porto by day but didn't feel comfortable walking around at night but felt fine in Coimbra walking my myself at night (and my favorite restaurant was there Ze Manuel dos Ossos). However, my favorite place was this one and I enjoyed my time at night at the hotel as it had a bunch of activities and the restaurant was fun and had both tourists and locals. And also was a great place for alone time to read.

Room Tip: I really loved the outside double rooms, they were quiet and had a great outside space.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 27, 2012

..the pensao favorita is rarity and extraordinary recommendable accommodation in the fantastic city of porto. charming and obliging staff who tenderly decorated and highly detailed the perfect rooms. we loved it and will come back!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Modena, Italy
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The hotel is located in the artistic/gallery district. It's rather unassuming and indeed I missed it and walked past it twice. The small blackboard by the front door advertises the day's restaurant menu.
Once inside everything is very fresh and friendly. Nice white walls, wooden floors, a fashionable shabby-chic furniture vibe to the lounge area (with free nibbles and water and wine for guests) with books, various objet displayed.
As many others have noted, the welcome is super friendly (but not in the sickly way one often experiences in certain other countries). Speaking good English, the staff is young-ish and sincere in the welcome.
Room eleven is in the newish annexe which extends out the back of the building.
Again, all white here. A nice fresh feeling to it, the walls, the bed linen, the bathroom (with a nice rainwater (?) -style shower. A slight quibble would be the size of the sink basin and the mixer tap pipe; the former a bit too small as a main basin, the latter too high and long, preventing you from rinsing close to the sink, thus water tends to go outside the sink (at least for this clumsy customer!)
There was no tv in the room but I only realised this on my final day. Not going on holiday to watch tv, it wasn't remotely a problem. Most of the time was spent out of the hotel anyway.
The buffet breakfasts (8am-11am) were good: breads, pastries, fruit, ham, cheese, yoghurt, juice, etc.
The restaurant was nice, a 7.50euro fixed price lunch menu was very agreeable: soup, three mains on offer, wine, coffee. I skipped the soup and had the delicious homemade cheesecake as an extra, for just 3eu. All a nice conclusion before heading of to the rather agreeable airport for my flight home

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I randomly walked to by Favorita and saw the menu posted outside. I saw that is was both a restaurant and a B&B. It looked interesting to me and I ended up having dinner there. It was delicious! Our waiter was extremely nice and ended up helping us (we needed to print something up). I had a duck dish there which was some of the best duck I have had. Truly a hidden surprise! I tend to stay away from restaurants in the main area. Next time I visit Porto I would def consider staying at this charming place though I cannot give an actual review of the place as a Bed and Breakfast.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed opposite & Favorita was one of the names suggested to us for a meal.

I recalled having mushroom soup as starter & it was pretty decent. Next was the main course - I am not a fan of risotto but selected the cod fish risotto & this dish impressed me. I felt I was having a home-cooked meal which warms the heart. For a set lunch under 8 euros, it was value for money.

I made the choice to return for dinner as the night was cold & was tired from the day's walk. Favorita did not disappoint - the goat cheese with caramelized honey was a positive pairing, the duck confit (sliced) looks medium rare. But when you took a bite, it tasted entirely cooked. An interesting twist! Our bill was approx. 35 euro which includes a glass of red for one & a dessert to share. Worthwhile.

Favorita deserves a good tip for offering excellent service & food.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends