“Not impressed”

Ranked #124 of 153 Porto B&B and Inns
Estes Park, Colorado
“Not impressed”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

The location of this hotel was decent, we were able to walk everywhere. The staff was not helpful. When we checked in, we wanted to know about booking a tour of the Duoro wine region, and they said to go to the tourist center, which was closed. The day we checked out, there was no one to be found to settle our bill even though it was 8 am and breakfast was supposed to be opening. We had talked to them the night before about our check out and getting a cab and were assured that they would be there and call a cab for us in the morning. Instead we wandered around in the rain looking for a cab (for reference, there is a taxi stand just a few blocks up hill) and just left the keys on the desk. The room was small, but it fit three people. The room just felt dirty, especially the beds. I felt like I needed a layer of clothing between myself and the sheets and I still left with bug bites. We had an ensuite, but the bathroom didn't really have a shower. I'm used to the small European showers, but this was a bidet they called a shower. I showered in the hall bathroom until the last day when I found a large bug in the shower. Our ensuite bathroom door did not close tightly, so depending on how comfortable you are with your roommates, this might bother you. There were only two plugs in the entire room, all in awkward places. One way up high in the wall where the TV was plugged in, which we built a shelf with our backpacks to use and one in the bathroom with no where to put the item you were charging. The price of this hotel is cheap, but I think you can find a better value for your money in Porto.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Sao Paulo
Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

I really enjoy this hotel. It looks old from the outside but inside it is very pretty, antique and clean.
Room is ok. Bathroom is clean and have what you need.
I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank LuNavarro
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I feel really bad to write a bad review but I have to be honest as I genuinely cannot see why it has gotten 4/5 stars.

Firstly, we were greeted by a lovely receptionist who was really helpful and very professional. Not a bad start. We couldn't check in straightaway so we left our luggage, walked around town and came back around 3pm, one hour after check in time. However a technician was in the room fixing the TV. The receptionist was really apologetic and we didn't kick up a fuss, as we were only going to be there for one night and so TV wasn't that important (though nice to have).

The room itself was tiny - no room between the bed and the mirror and no room to manoeuvre in the bathroom, the fan within which made a constant clicking sound. We thought we could have a little rest before dinner so we thought we could put on a little TV for background noise however it still didn't work - the signal kept cutting in and out. As I said before, we were only there for that night so we didn't complain as we would be out the next morning. I thought I would charge my phone but the only plug points were high up on the wall near the shell of a TV and in the bathroom, neither of which were suitable for phone charging.

Breakfast the next day was alright but not amazing - bog standard rolls with a small selection of spreads. Coffee really wasn't great but at least the orange juice was nice.

In terms of location, it was a 5/10 minute walk to the centre but I wouldn't feel safe walking around on my own at night there (this is just the vibe I got).

However after all the negative stuff above, I have to reiterate that the service we got from the lady at the front desk was top notch - in my opinion she was the best thing about the hotel but as nice as she was, I would definitely not recommend staying here.

Room Tip: If you get room 104, ask to change
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nicola E

Travelers are raving about these Porto hotels

Milano
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We've just spent a few days here for New Year's eve. Clean and comfortable,it was a true bargain,breakfast included.
It is located in a central position,but being at the end of a long slope it is pretty tiring to get to the top of the city. Not the safest surroundings,as we were told by the personnel.

• Stayed December 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The room was small and noisy-because of the pub next to it. The stuff though was friendly.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Nice, clean, quiet hotel. Nothing fancy, your basic bed and clean bathroom good value for money.
The breakfast as well good value for money, wifi on your room works great.
Very, very helpful and friendly staff.
Ideal hotel for a long weekend/week Porto. 5-10 minute walk to city centre. Easy to reach from airport with metro (Line E, Bolhao). Nice restaurants 5 minute walk (square next to
Jardins de São Lázaro).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul1979_11
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2011

My wife and I were travelling with two under-5's and hotel rooms that can accommodate 4 people are hard to find at a reasonable price. This hotel was very reasonable (expedia had the best price) and provided 4 single beds in one room with an en-suite.

It was very central to the main sightseeing areas, so no need for buses/taxis etc (except from the airport). The receptionist was always very friendly and helpful. A good continental breakfast was provided every morning.

In terms of hotel quality, it was very basic and a little rough around the edges, but clean and tidy. Has a bit of a hostel, rather than hotel feel about it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family