“Perfection” 5 of 5 bubbles

O Paparico
Ranked #4 of 1,611 Restaurants in Porto
Cuisines: European, Portuguese
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
St. Helier, United Kingdom
“Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Wow! I can't recommend this highly enough. Atmosphere, decor, service, wine, food were all perfect. Such an experience. From the moment you walk into the restaurant you are made to feel comfortable and welcome. The food is exquisite, high quality ingredients, expertly cooked and served up for sharing. I didn't want the evening to end. This rates as one of my best dining experiences ever.

You must try O Paparico.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
OPaparico, Guest Relations Manager at O Paparico, responded to this review, November 14, 2016
Thank you so much for your kind words!

Our team is extremely grateful for the recognition and warmth you have shown us.

These are the small joys that motivate us to move forward and keep on improving.

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Noosa, Australia
“As wonderful as we expected - and then some!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Knowing there might be some wine and port available with, and after, dinner, we took a taxi from our downtown location to this blank wall on a plain street; it's about 15 minutes north of .

When we arrived, the small entry door was locked, and it really looked like we may have had the wrong address, or it might have been closed. A few moments after knocking, however, we were greeted and welcomed into a warm and cozy space.

We were the first guests on the evening, and the first sights that grabbed my attention were the walls. These walls appear to be ancient, constructed from enormous, rough-cut, granite-like rocks. Just beautiful. Seductively lit, to give a very welcoming feel.

As in other Portuguese restaurants, we were made to feel at home. Ask for anything, question everything. Our host, the Maitre d', was truly focused on his guests' happiness and enjoyment.

There's a variety of local food on offer - along with a comprehensive wine list.

After the interesting and tasty entrées (ah, the veal paté!), and a glass of rosé we had a tough time choosing between the two veal dishes - finally against the grilled, in favour of the roasted, a generous serving for two in a large white bowl. The side dish of mashed potatoes, with an onion reduction and cumin was very much to our liking. As was the wine and the after-dinner port.

There were some fish dishes on the menu that looked interesting. After being so impressed with the service and the meal, we made another booking for a chance to try the fish.

Chapel Hill, NC
“An Experience to be Remembered”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

My wife and I decided to go to this hotel for our wedding anniversary. I have never been to anything like it. This ranks up there with the finest dining experience I have ever had. First of all, there is that clandestine knock at the door. Waiting there on the street you imagine what must be on the other side. We were greeted and escorted to a lounge (it was very early) and the host made me the most amazing gin and tonic I have ever had. He's an artist with drinks. Our dinner was amazing and you don't have to accept everything they put in front of you. We went with the Octopus (my first time, delicious), scallops (melt in your mouth, so good), and cheese. For dinner we shared the monkfish and a bottle of wine, which was superb (Portugal wines are really quite remarkable). This is just a remarkable experience and the service was impeccable. I would return to Porto just to be able to eat here again. The best food experience I had in Portugal. Take a risk and search this place out; you'll be glad you did.

O Paparico ‘s Team
“Best Restaurant during 16 day stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I travelled from Porto down to the Algarve over a 16 day period. This was by far our best meal in Portugal. From the moment you knock at the door (yes, you actually have to knock) the experience is magnificent. You wait for your table to be prepared in the interesting entrance area/bar area where there are all sort of interesting books and ornaments to look at. Once your table is ready and you're taken to it, you'll notice that there are starters placed all over it. Here's my MAIN TIP for this restaurant: don't touch anything until you've looked at the menu and decided that these are the starters you actually want! My gf and I started eating them, then looked at the menu and realized there were others that we would have probably preferred. That being said, the cod ceviche, and the veal pate were excellent. We probably would have switched the cheese dish out if we had planned ahead. We had the octopus for a main - you split one main between 2 people. It was very tender and I liked how they had a candle under the dish to keep it warm as you ate. I like my food hot! Overal, the service, atmosphere and most importantly the food at this restaurant was wonderful. I would highly recommend it.

3 Thank Marsbarrr

London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I recenly spent a week in Oporto and Douro Valley, and came to this restaurant for my wife's birthday. Without a doubt, it was the best quality food I had in Portugual and the host Sergio was fantastic. I don't think I've been to a restaurant where the host makes everyone feel so welcome.

The scallop starter was amazing, and the Veal main (to share) which comes sliced was cooked perfectly for both of us, with half on the rare side of medium, and half on the well done side of medium.

A chocolate fondant with "space dust" arrived after our deserts as a birthday suprise for my wife. I don't remember seeing it on the menu, but we both loved that as well.

Should I return to Oporto, booking a meal here will be top of my list.

• Visited May 2013