“Take off your sunglasses before entering”
Review of Hotel Teatro Porto

Hotel Teatro Porto
Ranked #20 of 108 Hotels in Porto
Reviewed July 1, 2013

What is it about darkness that inspire the Portugese designers. Both Teatro and Fontana Park are very dark inside. The locaction is very good. When you enter the hotel you have to cross a very dark zone. It seems dark because of the light outside so take off your sunglasses or you may bump into the door. The service in the reception is perfect.
The breakfast is good but the staff are sometimes slow especially if you want tea.The bar area is very nice.When you get out of the lift it is dark until you make a move.
The rooms are rather small with a mysterious bathroom divided from the room by a curtain. Absolutely impossible to put on a make up or lenses because everything is golden or bronze.
The shower and the toilet have glass doors.This may sound a bit critical but we really liked this hotel and we stayed for four nights.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 19, 2013

located in the middle of porto, 200m walk to the metro and san bento train station and 40 min metro ride to the airport, bus #500 to the beach also stops near by and it's a 5 min walk to the shops and/or water front & old town .. so perfect location ..

the main entrance door to the hotel is a piece of art and worth mentioning ..

i booked a tribune twin room for €333 w/breakfast for 2 nights .. the hotel theme is theatrical and it's all gold, brown & black coloured - we were upgraded to a junior suite and it was beautiful, huge and with very comfy beds .. i also drowned in the pillows they were so big and several of them - but even with all the lights on, the room was very dark - even on a sunny day ..

by the beds the only electrical plugs were against the wall under the bedside tables and i kid u not u have to get on ur hands and knees to access them .. there was one plug at the desk, which i found to be insufficient for the size of the room .. but we had 2 tvs in the room ! LOL ..

as others on TA have said, the room and bathroom are separated by a glass wall, but there is a curtain on the room side that u pull for privacy, obviously trusting the person in the room to not tamper with it whilst ur in the bathroom LOL - wc and shower were also separated by a glass wall but u could see through it, so maybe for some people that could be an issue, we managed fine .. there was no space to hang the towels, so we put them on the rim of the bath, no big deal but not very well thought through ..

complimentary umbrellas are in the room for ur use (trust me it rains in porto !), plus a mini bar, safe and a kettle .. which was great, except they only offered tea bags, no coffee (por que ?) ..

breakfast was adequate, it's self service buffet except for tea - u have to order it and wait for it to arrive .. the milk for cereal was ambient not cold and i just can't down luke milk .. the toaster is not a toaster, it's more like an oven - it dries ur bread but u wait 10 min. for it to be browned and i burnt my finger when the stupid handle fell off - really not a smart contraption LOL .. the personnel was discreet and didn't interact with us ..

we checked in on a sunday and were told the wifi was down and would be fixed on monday morning (hhhhmmm was my reaction) .. 17.00 hrs monday and still no wifi .. i brought this up again at check-out and a satisfactory gesture was offered by the manager herself ! :)

we didn't redeem our complimentary glass of porto at the bar, nor did we eat in-house, so i can't comment on that ..

i'm not sure i would like to work in the dark environment for 8hrs a day though ..

it's not quite perfect, but it's not far off .. and i definitely recommend this hotel if u don't mind the darkness :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ggof61
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The hotel is well located in Porto and is within easy walking distance of most sites and restaurants.
It has reasonable facilities for a short stay and the staff are very friendly and efficient.
Whilst I appreciate that this is a boutique hotel and is themed and designed as a theatre, there are a number of areas where the design has won out over practicality. The interior is very dark and a torch would therefore be useful (!) - a bit odd really as most theatres I have been to have illumination in public areas. The main observation in the bedrooms is the impracticable design of the bathrooms, however, from talking with other guests we believe that this may only be an issue with the smallest rooms on offer. The glazed doors to the bathrooms are impracticable and you can easily cause a major flood from the shower - so bad in our case that I was waiting for Noah to resuce us!
Breakfast was very good as was the bar and public areas.
Reception staff were helpful in pointing us in the right direction for sight seeing and tours.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank clivecSurrey
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

The location is indeed perfect to visit the main tourist spots of the city and also the bar area at night. The theater theme is all over the hotel which is nice but also makes it very dark. We stayed in a standard double room and the size was OK and clean only the pillows did not smell fresh and the water was flowing out of the shower. The breakfast was good and the service friendly.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank mcflateric
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I went with my husband for a long weekend. The hotel's location is central and easily accessible. We really liked the theatre style theme and felt a lot of thought has gone into the fixtures and fittings to ensure the theme is throughout all of the hotel.

Breakfast was adequate with a decent selection of fruits, pastries and continental meats/cheeses. One annoyance was that the tea is so weak and on asking for the tea bag to be supplied in the teapot I was told there are no tea bags - a strange answer to what I thought was simple request.

The rooms are quirky, clean and comfortable. The shower is great. We enjoyed a complimentary bottle of ruby port and chocolates delivered to our room as we are Mr and Mrs Smith members. We also received a complimentary glass of port each in the bar.

Reception staff were helpful and obliging.

We would return to this hotel and very much enjoyed the city of Porto for a long weekend.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Liverchick
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I actually visited in May 2012 but by the looks of the recent reviews it is still as good at it was then!! Fab hotel, makes sure that the old cinema/theatre theme is apparent absolutely everywhere, from the costumes hanging around reception and the bar area to the 'mood lighting' throughout the hotel.

by far the comfiest bed I have EVER slept in, be it at a hotel or not!

The 'bathroom situation' is pretty hit and miss - I went with family, and the room I was in, the bathroom was completely private - there was a frosted glass front wall but nothing could be seen through it and the shower/toilet etc was tucked away to the side. The bathroom in the room that my parents were in was pretty un-private but still wasn't a big problem! Their room also had a really lovely balcony which was a good size and looked out onto the main road the hotel is on.

One of my all time favourite hotels, definitely worth a visit!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Lucy C
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights in this hotel. It has to be one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Due to a damaged sink we were upgraded from a standard room to a junior suite, and I have to say that it was stunning.

There are lots of other reviews that mention the lighting and bathrooms. The lighting is dim/subtle, I didnt find this an issue, but my wife found the reception and corridors rather oppressive, and impractical for make up application. The bathrooms are fairly unique, but there are doors/blinds/curtains that do offer enough privacy.

We didnt eat in the hotel (apart from breakfast) but the menu looked very good.

Breakfast was fine, not the best I`ve ever had, but by no means the worst. I recommend going early, or you may have to wait for a table.

Good central location, some road noise, but its a city center hotel, what do you expect!

Excellent staff, the most comfortable bed I have ever had in a hotel, and very nice complimentary port and chocolates!

One point- I think the cleaners suffer from the same issues as guests, as I found a black sock from a previous guest when I was tidying up. Wouldnt have noticed it but I stood on it in bare feet! Perhaps head torches for the staff?? :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple