“Typical Portuguese Restaurant”
Review of Casa Aleixo

Casa Aleixo
Reserve with
Casa Aleixo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #188 of 1,657 Restaurants in Porto
Cuisines: Ethiopian, Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Info at this site: http://www.lifecooler.pt/edicoes/lifecooler/desenvRegArtigo.asp?art=5515&cat=1020&rev=12&c=0
Porto, Portugal
“Typical Portuguese Restaurant”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

For 30 years living in Porto and had never been in the famous Casa Aleixo. Myself and two friends were around, and we decided to enter without reservation. It was Saturday and the restaurant was full. We had to wait at the bar about 45 minutes. I ordered a tomato juice, but they do not serve. I decided to drink a dry port. The dining room is small but cozy. I had high expectations for the hake "Filetes" with octopus rice. The "Filetes" were very good, but the octopus rice, with good flavor, was dry, symptom of not have been made just in time. The service is diligent and the Restaurant have is own car park.

• Visited December 2013

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lisbon
“Traditional old restaurant in the city of Porto”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

This restaurant is very old and very good. The staff is very efficient and friendly, and the menu as some of the more traditional food of Porto. It's always a good experience.

• Visited November 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
“I don't know why all the fuss about this place”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I have been at Casa Aleixo twice, after being recommended by some people in Porto, and to be honest I will never come back. The place is charming, but the food is average and the prices way too much for Porto. But overall I have been disappointed by the service. I ordered one portion of their famous "octopus fillets with rice" for me and my partner, knowing that it'd be enough for both of us... but the guy decided to do it his way and completely ignored my order, bringing two portions which ended up being too much and obviously charging both of them. For me that is an absolute lack of respect, I know what I eat and I decide what I want to order, so I don't see the reason why this guy should do what he feels like.

Furthermore, you cannot have a coffee at the table after lunch, you are obliged to have it on the next door bar, which is quite nice I must admit, but it can be a annoying if you're in a hurry. Disappointing!

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank agg82
Kildare
“Excellent value”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is a charming little restaurant. The food is authentically local but the portions are huge. Best advice is to share a starter and leave room for the mains.Service was attentive and good humoured.Well worth a visit.

Visited July 2013
Rockville, Maryland
“Recommended by a local / worth the trek!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

A local recommended this restaurant to us. It's not in the heart of Porto, but it was worth taking the metro and then walking to the restaurant. I am not sure if they took reservations, but the restaurant was packed when we arrived for dinner, and we had to wait. It's a family-run restaurant. The dining room was presided by the grandmother in her 80s, who retired from the kitchen only seven years ago. After the restaurant started to clear out, she had her dinner and wine at the restaurant, too! (So, grandma approved!) It was such a nice, relaxing environment as if we had sat in someone's home for dinner. The food was solid, down-home and tasty, and the serving size was large. The wine list had a lot of local options, and the prices were reasonable. The octopus filet with squid rice was the restaurant specialty (recommended by the local), and the creation was not something we had had before. So good! We also enjoyed the roast cabrito. The Portuguese menu was slightly different from the English menu, so if you know both languages, it would help. We noticed that the Portuguese menu gave you options to combine certain appetizers (like the ham) and certain desserts. So, check with the staff to see if you can mix those dishes to sample different things. The service was attentive and friendly. We love this family-run restaurant! A must for Porto.

• Visited May 2013