“Fantastic, would love to go back”

Pestana Palacio do Freixo
Ranked #6 of 111 Hotels in Porto
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Loved this hotel. It was absolutely fantastic, and great value for money. We stayed for around 3 nights. The hotel is conveniently situated close to the city, but not so close, so it feels like a bit of a getaway, yet you still have the convenience of the city just a short cab ride away. The hotel is beautiful. Communal areas are gorgeous and the rooms are very tasteful. The restaurant food was excellent. We loved the outdoor pool with its bar. We took our baby daughter and this was not a problem. the service was fantastic. I would love to go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 1AB
Manager_Freixo, Gerente at Pestana Palacio do Freixo, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your opinon about our hotel with others and also thank you very much for your comments about our services, faciliteis and staff.
Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!
Freixo Palace Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,953)

Reviewed May 30, 2013

It all started when I walked into the hotel at 9:45pm on a Sunday night and no one was in the hotel to greet me and check me into my room. Next, they did not have the room I reserved available for me or my male colleague. My male colleague made the reservations and I had a copy saved on my phone. He came on a later flight so was not there to check in at the same time. I was given a room with 2 twin beds pushed together with a river view, however my view was of a brick tower in the center of my window. My reservation was a King room with a river view. Not exactly what I got. My male colleague arrived and he got a King room with a balcony and a view! After he argued, they asked to move me to a suite but it was 12:30am and I was already in bed. I also had to ask for an iron and ironing board twice the night I checked in and did not get it it until about 12:15am. The next morning, I moved my room to an upgraded suite. The hotel staff took my old key but little did I know, he used it for the lights by the door. When I left the room I grabbed that key and then could not get back into my room after breakfast. GREAT! The breakfast room had very poor staff. The ladies were more concerned with chatting with each other than working to serve coffee and tend to our needs. The hotel staff never said good morning or good evening when entering or leaving the hotel. The management apologized but kept saying that this was not generally how things were done. Poor training on their part. Also, the driver that picked up my colleague at the airport was late and then lied about it. And when we asked for a taxi to take us to the airport in the early morning, the car did not show up and we almost missed our flight home. The only shining star was Pedro in the bar. He suggested food to us and was very friendly and thoughtful. Overall, for the price, I expected MUCH better service. I travel the world for work and expect much more. You could stay anywhere else and get better service and for less money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without the brick pole in your river view. That is room 403 and all rooms below it.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank Khnyc17

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to gives us your opinion about our facilities and services. Unfortunately we didn’t met at all your expectations. kindly accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience. Please contact me directly so I can see how we could compensate you for this.
Looking forward to your contact
Kindest regards

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Palacio do Freixo. Everything was just excellent. The staff is extraordinarily helpful, the restaurant serves great food and our room (we had the special suite) including the view was just gorgeous. Thank you !

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WalterXG

Dear Guest ,
Thank you very much for your comments. The fact you have enjoyed your stay with us and took the time to gives feedback it’s the best award we can get and that’s what makes work even harder to meet all our guests’ expectations! Thank you!
We now look forward to the pleasure of meeting you back soon.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Pusada do Porto, Palacio do Freixo is a pearl. The Palace is astoundingly beautiful restored and maintained. It is such a pleasure to spend time in the various rooms made available for the guests, be it the lounge, the bar or the restaurant. The attached old soap factory has been made into attractive hotel rooms, spacious and with top quality furniture and beautiful decorations. Praise to the architects who transformed the factory into a charming hotel. The pool, the pool area and the pool bar is equally attractive.
Throughout your stay at the Pousada you are being attended to by a very kind, helpful and competent staff.
With only a few kilometers to Porto with the famous old town and with the possibilities of excursions on the Douro river or along the river, you are guarantied a first class holiday in an extraordinary setting.

Jan Bahnson, Espergærde, Denmark

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view to the palace or a room with a view to the river.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bahnson
Manager_Freixo, Gerente at Pestana Palacio do Freixo, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for submitting your review about your stay where you share your experience at the Pousada do Porto Freixo Palace Hotel. Our biggest aim is to ensure memorable holidays to all our dear guests, and your rewarding words are the best incentive for all the team. Thank you very much for your contribution and recommendation.
We look forward to welcome you again.
With kind regards,

Reviewed May 15, 2013

A magnificent building near the Douro River, with beautiful public rooms. The hotel was comfortable and well equipped, including free Wi-Fi. For travellers arriving with a car this is a much better location than in the parking restricted centre a couple of kilometres away. However, much of Porto can be seen by walking the city so a vehicle is not essential from that perspective

The rooms are actually in a connected building that was a former factory.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank handr40

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are glad to Know you enjoyed your stay with us.
I'm happy to know you took the time to visit and enjoy the city. We now look forward to welcoming you again soon!
Kindest regards

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is an absolutely excellent hotel, overlooking the river Duoro, a taxi ride from Porto. The rooms are very large, comfortable, and well equipped. Wi-fi works well. Poolside terrace is nice for sitting out enjoying a drink or snack. Evening meal in the restaurant was to die for! Absolutely perfect.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank patricia_mitchell1
Manager_Freixo, Gerente at Pestana Palacio do Freixo, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Guest ,
We now look forward to the pleasure of meeting you back soon.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We wanted to stay outside of Porto as we were driving, so picked this & it was perfect. Beautiful old palace well preserved & right on the river. The rooms are in an old 19th factory bldg next door...sounds strange, but works beautifully! Pool, spa, very chic & trendy right beside the 17th century fountain & gardens. The restaurant & lounges are in the gorgeous old palace. Staff delightful. Great dinner recommendations, plenty of parking & easy to get a taxi into old Porto. This was a favorite....****

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sstj

Dear guest,
Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!
Kind regards