“Amazing bargain hotel!”

Ranked #109 of 159 Porto B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing bargain hotel!”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 3 days last year and I was pleasantly surprised. It has amazing value for it's price - it was clean, safe, and very comfortable. My boyfriend and I got a very large room which was probably the cleanest room I stayed in on my Portugal trip. Service was good too although not too many people around. It is a bit of a walk from the city center but walking is the best way to see Oporto! Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maddy Z
rmontecarlo, Proprietário at Residencial Monte Carlo, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Thank you for your review.
Cleaning is really one of our main concerns!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Although I cannot say the residence was far from the city center, I don't think it was well located (awkward and isolated street). The room was clean but the service was very unprofessional, there was never people at the reception and we were welcomed by a lady wearing a bath robe. No place to leave the luggage before check-in/after check-out. The residence responsible suggested we could leave our bags behind the reception desk, which was not safe at all since there was no security to enter the residence and no one at the reception...All in all, it was not THAT bad considering the low cost, but I wouldn't recommend it as I think you can find nicer options in much more pleasant locations for a similar price.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LNCS2014
Thank you for your comment.
We understand your comments but don't forget this a family guesthouse with few rooms so it is impossible to have someone always at the front desk but there is always someone in the guest house working so it is only necessary to wait one minute in the front desk.
About the security we have security cameras with alarms in the entrance and front desk so we know when someone gets in, so security in luggage is not an issue.

Travelers are raving about these Porto hotels

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

I stayed this hotel two weeks ago. The staffs were v nice and helpful. In my original planning, I have booked a room for two nights. However, since my trip have been changed, I have to cancel one night booking. They didn't charge me any cost even I decided to cancel the second night booking. It is very considerate.
As for the room:
Downside the flush system was not working and wifi signal is too weak. Upside: Room condition is acceptable in such price level. Location is good and just nearby metro station (around 2 mins by walking).

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lamlokki
Thank you for your comment!
The problem with the flush system was fixed.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Residencial Monte Carlo is an amazing bargain of a hotel, situated a stones throw from Campo 24 de Agosto Metro which is served direct from Porto airport (30 min journey for about 2 euros), and only about a 10 minute walk from the city centre. Our room was spacious, had a balcony, great en-suite, good wi-fi, very user-friendly heating/aircon. Staff friendly and helpful (emergency need for corkscrew was no trouble at all). If you pressed me for a minus point, the toilet roll didn't get replenished (I'm sure it would have been OK if I had asked for more). A cafe next door will do you a light breakfast with coffee for less than 2 euro's, and there is a small supermarket 100 metres away where you can get basic provisions including vino verde at fridge temperature for 2 euro's a bottle. Summary: awesome

Room Tip: I know there are some rooms without windows, if you can wangle a window/balcony room without paying...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris_Farthing
Brighton UK
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed in this place at the beginning of October.
We enjoyed our stay here, however the room which we stayed in did not have any windows and had quite a damp smell.
That being said, we paid a very low price for our 4 night stay (and we were in the economy double)
The shower was good and bed was comfortable.
It suited our needs as we only use the room as a place to sleep.
Fast and reliable Wifi a plus.
A little way out of the old centre but still only a 20 min walk.
Would recommend if you're travelling on a budget.

Room Tip: Avoid the economy double if you are claustrophobic as no natural light!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MorfeasBrightonUK
Thank you for your comment!
In fact you stayed in one of our 3 economic bedrooms. As you said it is very cheap but the downside is that it has no windows. However it has air conditioning, private bathroom, good area and was fully renovated 3 years ago.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I had doubts about booking this place, but Im glad we did. Please was in good location, clean and friendly. There are good and bad points to be considered.

Good:
Clean place, spacious room, good water pressure shower.
Fairly close to Porto Campanha train station, very close to groceries and metro station 24 augusto
15 minutes walk to Porto center
Friendly lady on reception and very friendly housekeeper
Comfy bed, flat screen TV,

Bad:
Dark room, ugly view for industrial part of city, but never mind that. No coffee or Tea facilities in the room.
Can be noisy at night, but that is guests fault not owners.
A bit doggy area of Porto, but no issues.
Room decor was a bit old fashioned and odd

Generally speaking it was good and

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnnieLennox
Thank you for your comment!
Unfortunately the rooms back view is not very beautifull because Porto still has much to do in terms of building requalification.
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed for one night in July with my friends. It was exactly what it looks like in the pictures, clean and very stylish.
Our triple room (a double bed and a single bed) was perfect for a friend trip in Porto. The room was clean, lovely and comfortable with free Wi-Fi and a balcony. All amenities are in good working order. I found just about everything I needed!
We had a car so we did not mind the location. Car parking is difficult in Porto but you'll find some parking places along the street. I would not hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends