“It's Like Staying with Best Friends!”
Review of Guest House Douro

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Porto
Guest House Douro
Ranked #1 of 163 Porto B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“It's Like Staying with Best Friends!”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Carmen and Joao were the warmest and most welcoming hosts we have ever encountered. Both were eager to chat and offer suggestions for sightseeing or dining and listen to our daily experiences in their charming city. Breakfast was a work of art. When we arrived back at the guest house after walking an entire day in the chilly rain, Carmen took pity on me and brought a pot of hot tea to our room. It was thoughtful little touches like this that made the visit so enjoyable. Our room overlooked the river and gave us a beautiful view of the lights reflecting on the water surface. Leaving them was difficult - we hugged goodbye and sadly left our new friends.

Room Tip: A room with a view may expose you to people talking along the waterfront, but really didn't dist...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 30, 2013

My family and I agree with everything that has been written by the other reviewers: the warmest hospitality; the most incredible, delicious fruit sculptures at breakfast; oh-so-charming rooms in the perfect location; and wonderful guidance on the sights to see during our stay. At Joao's recommendation we added a stop to our 2-week itinerary (so glad we did!), and at Carmen's suggestion we tracked down a small but fascinating chapel in one of the towns we visited.

The two "gems" of the title: Guesthouse Douro and Porto. Make sure to allocate enough time for Porto in your itinerary. It's a gorgeous city and merits as much meandering as your feet and legs can stand on its narrow, inclined streets.

Room Tip: As mentioned by others, our family had both the river view and the view of the small street. Though...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mumbai
Reviewed November 12, 2013

It is no wonder that Guesthouse Duoro gets these reviews! It is absolutely fabulous in every which manner. We had the most wonderful 4 days in Porto - it is a lovely city but it becomes magical because of GHD. Carmen and Jao are wonderful hosts. The attention to detail amazed me - the rooms are small but they have used space sooooooo well that it doesn't feel small. It is such tastefully done up place too - I was quite taken in by the lamb (a ceramic piece) lying on the floor in front of our room. And the river view rooms are so worth it - the rooms are so comfortable with the gorgeous view added that one can stay in the guesthouse itself without venturing out !!! And Carmen and Jao are so friendly and look after you so well that you feel like you have gained friends for life. We enjoyed the breakfasts and the coffee and the conversations ! We will come back for sure and just to stay again at GHD.

Room Tip: Choose a river view room - 202, 302 or 402
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I'm not sure whether I can actually put the amazingness of GHD into words.

First, when I travel, I like to be in a place where my wife and I can feel special and be a part of someone's home. I find that I sleep better when I don't feel anonymous and when I am made to feel welcome. Carmen and Joao, the owners, make you feel as if GHD is your home. They greet you as family at the door, they provide you with a glass of port, and make sure that you know how to get around. I felt so welcome that I almost gave them a hug when I first met them, and I definitely gave her a hug when I left. As a nice, personal touch, they left a lovely bottle of champagne in our room (we were celebrating our wedding anniversary).

Second, the B&B is located right on the water. It is so centrally located, with everything a walkable distance away, My wife and I stayed in the smallest but loveliest room which features lovely french doors and a view of all of the port houses across the river. We woke up every morning to a great view, and it was all we could do to actually get out of bed to go out on the town.

Third, the breakfast was AWESOME. The mango tasted like honey, and they gave us the most delicious stinky Portugese cheese that went with the variety of breads that we had every morning. I must confess that I would've liked to stay in bed later, but my wife and I would sort of tumble down the stairs, gorge ourselves on morning deliciousness, and climb back into bed to enjoy our view.

As I read some of the reviews before I left, I was aware that GHD "closes" at 1. For my wife and I, we're not really night owls, so we would go out to eat at the lovely restaurant around the corner (most definitely worth a visit, called "A Grade," even if you don't stay here, which you obviously should), and come back and drink wine or port. If you're a night owl, then this might not be a good fit.

In short, if I could stay in a place like this everywhere, I would.

Room Tip: The rooms with views are worth it. Additionally, I'd take the small room on the second floor be...
MA
Reviewed November 6, 2013

What a wonderful find! The co-owners are the nicest and most fun hosts you can imagine (and their English is perfect). Great tips on where to go and eat and even arranged for us, at no cost, to take a wonderful tour of the best Port company in town. The room was very clean, the breakfasts are out of the world, particularly if you love fresh fruit, fresh pastries and homemade jam. The location is very good, near the water and away from the noisy part of the central city with easy access to it. Several wonderful, family-owned restaurants within a few minutes walking distance. You won’t be sorry you stayed here.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in October. Staying with Carmen and Joao really is like staying with family (the good kind, not the kind you would avoid like a gastro-intestinal parasite). The hospitality is remarkable, the rooms are fantastic (yes....the rooms with a view are worth the additional cost) and the breakfasts are legendary. Porto is a magnificent place to visit, probably one of the most photogenic spots on the planet. I can't compare it to the Yeatman, which is larger and more expensive, but I really can't imagine a better place to stay in Porto.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I am often suspect of glowing reviews because i think "can it really be that good?" In the case of Guest House Douro is is not only as good as the reviews, it is better. Really there is no way to describe the amazing time I had there. Carmen and Joao immediately made me feel like a long lost relative whom they were welcoming into their incredible home. I have stayed in guest houses before where you feel like an imposition to the owners or walk around on egg shells. This is not at all what a stay with Carmen and Joao is like. They are genuine and gracious and truly want you to love the city of Porto as much as they do. The breakfasts that Joao puts together are superb, I had fruit that I have never eaten before. Who knew a custard apple was so delicious! I was there for a week for a conference and was able to really enjoy the city. Their suggestions for restaurants were superb. My favorite was A Grade. A small mom & pop place just steps from the guest house. Try the octopus. yum. They were friendly, great food, and were so sweet with my attempts to speak Portuguese. But back to the guest house...The location simply cannot be beat. The conference I was at was at the old transportation building just minutes walk along the river. The Guest House is located in teh riverside UNESCO World Heritage Site called the ribeira. It is a old bustling area. I stayed in 202. Amazing room with french doors that open to a little Juliette balcony. (Carmen claims it is her favorite room , I can see why :) ) The area is rather busy with people so don't plan on going to bed terrible early. That being said, even when there was stuff going on outside, the room was quiet and I had no problems falling asleep. I was so pleasantly surprised by Porto. I can only hope that someday I am fortunate enough to return and spend more time in the Guest House Douro.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business