“Good food and nice location”

Restaurante Avo Maria
Ranked #1,415 of 1,681 Restaurants in Porto
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Gosport, United Kingdom
“Good food and nice location”
Reviewed November 7, 2010

My wife fancied the partridge with chestnuts so we headed for this restaurant after visiting the Port cellars on the other side of the river. The food was excellent although her partridge was only half a bird (at home we would have one each) and my Sea Bass cooked in salt wasn't the salt covering I expected but it still tasted excellent.

Puddings consisted of Roast Apple for me and Pudding of the House for her - she's still drooling over the memory of this.

The only note of caution, I paid more for two glasses of port than a bottle would have cost in the cellars. Having said that I'd go back and stick to beer or wine.

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Rockford, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My Favorite Meal in Portugal”
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I ate here twice on a business trip to Portugal. After arriving to Portugal, I checked into my hotel and headed out for a bite. I spent the entire afternoon sitting at this beautiful bistro along the river on a warm, sunny Sunday afternoon enjoying local seafood (turbot, I think?) and local wine, Portuguese Fado music playing in the background. Wonderful and friendly service, could not have asked for more. We also concluded our trip with a formal dinner here that was outstanding- I ordered the Turbot again. I hope to go back one day and this will be the first place I go to eat!

1 Thank 061211h
Vienna, Austria
“good choice in a highly frequented area”
Reviewed October 6, 2010

We simply wanted to dine outdoors.... (or so we thought of - because the food should be good, the setting perfect, the view excellent and so on....)
Well, we found Ave Maria and the atmosphere and the setting were perfect in this location and the food much better than expected. Service was excellent the wine tasty, I wouldn't know a single argument of not recommending this place!

1 Thank globusat
Liverpool, England
“Excellent Food, friendly staff, highly recomended”
Reviewed June 14, 2010

My partner (who is Portuguese) and I went there for his birthday June 2010. We ordered the Chateaubriand (fillet steak for 2 @32 euros) it was absolutely delicious !!! It arrived on a big silver platter with salad, veg and lovely chunky home made chips. The steak just melted in the mouth and was served with a lovely creamy sauce. We washed it down with a jug of Sangria :) LOVELY. The staff were very friendly and attentive and nothing was too much trouble. We soaked up the atmosphere overlooking the River Douro in the moonlight....very romantic.

1 Thank Jaydo68