“Good food and view but high overhead” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Restaurante Avo Maria

Restaurante Avo Maria
Ranked #1,342 of 1,611 Restaurants in Porto
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Hong Kong
“Good food and view but high overhead”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

This restuarant is located on the river bank of Porto. Fantastic scene and comfortable.

We were warmly welcomed by the waiter. Once we sat down, we were offered bread, a dish of shrimps and toast with fish sauce before we made any order. The shrimps were fresh and the taste of fish sause was good. See photos.

We ordered Salad, Bacalhau and Sardines. We were starving and attempted to order more. But, we were stopped by the waiter. We appreciated his service attitude. The taste of Bacalhau was good and not too salty. The Sardines were ultimately large and delicious.

When we asked for the bill, we found that bread, Shrimps (EUR 10) and service charge already cost EUR20. In fact, we did not order the Shrimps at all. It came by default for all tables. Generally speaking, the food and enviornment of this restuarant is good. But, we are not comfortable to charge something making by default, i.e. we did not order all.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

We ate here one night of a 5 night stay in Porto. Food was very good and service attentive - good value.

London
“Highly recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2010

We were recommended to another restaurant a few doors away but decided that Avo Maria looked more welcoming and gave it a try. It was a good decision- the food was very nice, the fish was fresh and the recommended wine was enjoyable.
We have to also comment on the service provided by the owner- he was very helpful and it is always good to dine in a place where the owner obviously enjoys being there and providing a great meal for the guests. Definitely would go there again if we go back to Porto!

Gosport, United Kingdom
“Good food and nice location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

My wife fancied the partridge with chestnuts so we headed for this restaurant after visiting the Port cellars on the other side of the river. The food was excellent although her partridge was only half a bird (at home we would have one each) and my Sea Bass cooked in salt wasn't the salt covering I expected but it still tasted excellent.

Puddings consisted of Roast Apple for me and Pudding of the House for her - she's still drooling over the memory of this.

The only note of caution, I paid more for two glasses of port than a bottle would have cost in the cellars. Having said that I'd go back and stick to beer or wine.

Rockford, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My Favorite Meal in Portugal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

I ate here twice on a business trip to Portugal. After arriving to Portugal, I checked into my hotel and headed out for a bite. I spent the entire afternoon sitting at this beautiful bistro along the river on a warm, sunny Sunday afternoon enjoying local seafood (turbot, I think?) and local wine, Portuguese Fado music playing in the background. Wonderful and friendly service, could not have asked for more. We also concluded our trip with a formal dinner here that was outstanding- I ordered the Turbot again. I hope to go back one day and this will be the first place I go to eat!

1 Thank 061211h