“Great atmosphere, so-so lamb”
Review of Cabral

Cabral
Ranked #9 of 42 Restaurants in Moncao
Cuisines: Portuguese
Reviewed November 29, 2018

The restaurant and its proprietor both are charming. I especially enjoyed trying to decipher the odd word spoken in the local Portuguese dialect by the four gentlemen of a certain age at the next table.

I also appreciated the Adega de Monção vinho verde tinto (young red wine) which the proprietor brought in response to my request to try a red wine of the local region; and I was pleasantly surprised to be charged only five euros for the bottle. It was served to me not in a wine glass, but in a small ceramic bowl, of the size in which one might serve custard. At first, I thought the proprietor might be having a joke at the expense of this foreigner speaking poor and limited Portuguese. However, a few minutes later the said gentlemen of a certain age were served a similar wine in bowls of the same style.

I ordered the dish described on the menu simply as "lamb from the oven". Its exact cut or mode of preparation didn't concern me when I ordered. What arrived was a very large portion of miscellaneous bits and pieces of lamb (along with the fried potatoes and green vegetable I'd asked for). The largest proportion of the bits and pieces by volume were roasted lamb neck bones. After trimming the inedible (such as the bone) from the meat, I'd only reduced the volume of the large portion of miscellaneous bits and pieces by about 50%. This did not seem like especially good value for a twelve euro plate of food.

The lamb meat was tasty; however, the entire plate was terribly over salted. Yes, I know that the Portuguese like a lot of salt with their food. However the salt content of this plate of food was over the top.

Still, there was a second protein in over abundance: tiny fruit flies. They plummeted themselves into the wine bowl like miniature kamakazis. The only thing to do was to ignore them and enjoy the taste of the wine.

There were not a lot of diners. The gentlemen of a certain age all were eating a meal of bacalhau, which looked quite nice, and they seemed to be enjoying it. Should I return to Restaurante Cabral it will be for the atmosphere. But perhaps I just had the misfortune to order the one wrong dish on the menu.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed August 9, 2018

Looks like this is a famous institution. Lots of guests coming from nearby Spain.

The food was very good and in enormous portions (we could not finish our plates).

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed June 16, 2016

We were looking for a place to have lunch and this restaurante was very well rated so we decided to go. The food was very nice and the people was very welcoming. The restaurant has a curious point: people leave money in the walls, which is a very nice view.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed May 16, 2015

I went with a friend and we ate cod. It was real y tasty! The price is good and we loved is deserts. I really recomend this restaurant

Date of visit: May 2015
1  Thank Alberto V
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stopped at Cabral for a late lunch and had a magnificent meal. The stone walls make a nice atmosphere. The pile of goat chops (could have been lamb -- my portuguese is rudimentary) were tender and delicious, and theplate of lulus (small octopus) was the best. Each dish was overly large, but so good that we cleaned our plates. The waiter was friendly and properly attentive. If were in Moncao again, we'll be back.

Date of visit: October 2012