All reviews casa dos the owner dining rooms the main house cooking class buffet dinner old mansion winter garden separate building douro valley small room unique hotel roaring fire romantic scenery red and white wine by chance treated like family
Selected filters
Reviewed April 21, 2019

Vinyards and grounds are beautiful. House and guest rooms are musty and dirty. Bed mattresses were old and uncomfortable. Linens and drapes were worn and tired. If you are looking for 21st century hotel accommodations you will not find them here. Many things were broken, like the shower and the phones. It was obvious that slippers in the room had been worn by someone else and not cleaned. Francisco and staff are lovely and tried hard to accommodate guests but it is obvious Maria is not investing enough money in this place. The location is beautiful but it is remote if you don't have a car. The taxi fee is high to ride into one of the surrounding towns.

Room tip: Our room was not located near a party or dinner.
1  Thank Plunkarea
Reviewed April 19, 2019

It is wonderful to wander around the grounds. We only stayed one night in early April. I would recommend visiting in May or June and staying 2 nights so you have time to enjoy walking the grounds and having lunch or cocktails in the garden. The rooms are very ornate with millions of silver trays, tea services, boxes, and other knick-knacks. The rooms were lovely, but chilly. They had a fire which was a bit smoky. The dinner and breakfast was large. While dinner had some interesting foods, altogether I didn't really enjoy it. I didn't think the quality of food merited the price. I also did not like the estate's white and red wines. I retrieved some wine from my suitcase to drink with dinner. However, it would be a lovely place to have a special event (as long as you controlled the menu) and in fact, there was a large party in a different dining room while we were there. Our bedroom was quite dark and chilly, but they provided a heater which warmed it up nicely. The bathroom remained chilly. The bed and pillow were too firm for me. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would not stay again.

Reviewed April 18, 2019

We loved everything about the Casa dos Viscondes -- the decor, 17th century feel, our room, the living rooms, fireplaces, decor, the views, the vineyards, the grounds, the peace and quite, the service and the gracious dining experience. This is a place to get away and relax, read, take walks and enjoy the natural beauty all around the property. We can't wait to come back.

Reviewed March 23, 2019

We arrived to a cheerful greeting from Francesco -- he and Jorge took care of us throughout our stay -- we arrived back typically at 5:30 and had dinner, per our request at 6:30. I picked one of the magnificent living rooms to do e-mail and plan our next day while my wife took a bath. They immediately started a roaring fire in a large fireplace and served me a glass of excellent wine made there. Dinner (35 euros including drinks) began with an offering of a half-dozen appetizers in our large private dining room, again with a roaring fire. Aunt Anna was the cook and everything was delicious -- we especially enjoyed the rice with monkfish and shrimp. After a visit or two to the dessert buffet, we retired to the living room meeting another couple to enjoy a delicious port. This is a 200-acre vineyard and garden and most everything was grown/made here, e.g. all jams and jellies. WOW!

Date of stay: March 2019
Reviewed March 19, 2019

When we arrived to this incredible Hotel I was completely lost for words. Every moment of our experience at this accommodation was so special. We arrived at night time and were greeted at the entrance by friendly, attentive and welcoming staff. We stayed as a group of eight for my partners birthday. The lavish entrance foyer equipped with Christmas tree was magical (we stayed end of November), exploring further into the three decadently decorated living areas before reaching our impressively sized bedrooms with large ensuite's we were extremely impressed. I had arranged for dinner to be held at the restaurant where they surprised us with a birthday cake. The staff had arranged a private dining room for us; it was breathtaking. The food and wine was sublime as was the decor.

Waking up in the morning was even more spectacular as we were able to witness the incredible views the Hotel boasted from our bed. As we had arrived at night we were unaware to the incredible setting within the valley. After breakfast we took a walk around the impressive and extensive grounds equipped with tennis court and pool.

Everything about our stay was dreamlike. They truthfully went above and beyond to make this birthday trip special and memorable. Exceptional value for money. The owner was an incredible and kind hearted lady we had the pleasure of meeting, I wish her and her family all the best in life. I was touched and very appreciative. I couldn't recommend higher.

Look forward to being back in the near future!

Date of stay: November 2018