“Loved the place!”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Loved the place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Drove from Guimaraes and visited the museum in Salvador Britieros first and was able to talk to one of the archeologists who works this and other similar sites in the north of Portugal. This provided us with some insight into the area before heading to the ruins. After we toured the site for a couple hours. Really beautiful area. The site was great. Good map and very helpful staff. Just loved the whole place! We plan on visiting a couple more recommended by our friend at the museum. Yes it is a bit hilly but that just adds to its charm.

Visited January 2013

Kettering, United Kingdom
130 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Does the name mean British Citadel?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

A site that will amaze but also tire you out a little A wooded hilltop is reached from a smart modern site office: with toilet facilities and refreshments available. It is totally unsuitable for exploration in a wheelchair, though, so I set off wearing strong walking shoes and "did" the site in exactly an hour photographing and using digital cine mode with commentary for my less mobile wife to see. Really needs about two hours to see properly. However there are several more Iron Age settlements in the area - one near Esposende with a roadway and new excavations ongoing that can be explored by wheelchair.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Leslie E
Berkshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Fascinating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is a really interesting site but I would really recommend visiting the archeological museum (Martins Sarmento foundation) in Guimaraes first. We wandered in on a Sunday morning and we were the only visitors. We were given a tour by a post-grad student who spoke excellent English as well as having in depth knowledge, and it was fascinating. It also gave a lot of context for our Citania visit the next day. They sold the book about Citania there too so we could do some pre-reading.
The site was quite hot and exposed so a good idea to go early in the day in the summer.

1 Thank Shula13
Boston, MA
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Difficult to get to”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Although the site itself is very interesting, I am rating it as average because it was difficult to get to. You have to park quite a ways below the entrance and walk up a hill. Again, this was an area that could be far more tourist-friendly. Why not fix the road that leads to the archaeological park? It would be helpful for those who have to be careful of walking if someone could drive to the entrance to drop them off. Once we got to the entrance, we were told there was an entrance fee. We could see that there was quite a bit of walking and that the person we had to leave in the car because she couldn't walk up the hill would have to wait for us for a long time so we took a look outside the door to get an idea of what the area was like. I have read that one person bought a book that explained the area, but we were not told of any book. Once we were home, I found a wonderful web page that has a video of the area. That was very helpful. If you have not problem at all with hiking/walking and you are a history buff of sorts, then you would enjoy this excursion. You can even look online ahead of time at the video to get an idea of what you would be seeing.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
134 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Historically interesting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I don't think you have to be a history buff to enjoy this place. Even though I am, my friend seemed to enjoy it as well. We had a car for our trip to Portugal and I put this down as a stop when we were near Guimaraes. I'm glad I did. They put together a pretty good map and explanation and you can wander around for hours. They recreated a couple of the round stone houses which is also very neat. I was fascinated by the drains downhill that were created in the rocks.

There is free parking at the base of this site. Wear good shoes as it is a steep climb on uneven rocks.

There is a snack cafe and bathrooms on site.