We stayed at this Pousada for two nights while visiting Guimaraes. The place is stunning, and like other reviewers have noted, like staying at a museum. But there were a few things that turned us off:
1. The prices for the bars and dinner were out of line with other places in Guimaraes. In Portugal, you can normally get a nice espresso for EU$0.60 - here, it was several Euros. The dinner entrees cost EU$30 each, which seemed way too high, considering you could eat at a wonderful restaurant in the city for EU$10-$15 entrees. I'm not sure why they feel like they can charge so much, but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
2. The free wi-fi is limited to 30 minutes at a time. If you ask the front desk staff nicely, they'll give you another 30 minutes (controlled by these little tickets with passwords), but in this day and age, not having unlimited free wi-fi is very dated.
3. Although the setting is lovely, it would have been nice to have some of the staff offer tours so that we could better understand the historic building. There didn't seem to be much engagement on the part of the staff to help you understand the historical significance of the place.
4. The pool was freezing. There was no effort to heat it up, which is annoying, considering this place isn't cheap.
5. The pousada isn't in the center of town, which is annoying. They could offer a shuttle to get to the center.
6. The breakfast seemed very tailored to American/British tastes rather than offering Portuguese food. They had drip coffee, which I didn't see anywhere else, and things like scrambled eggs and sausages. We ate much better at smaller B&Bs.
Otherwise, the service was very good, but all in all, given the high prices of the food, the lack of free wifi, the so-so breakfast and the location, we would actually not recommend this place to a couple who wants to be more in the center of things. You end up always having to go to the city to eat, so it's just not worth the cost.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pousada Mosteiro Guimarães is a Small Luxury Hotel located in the city of Guimarães, in an ancient 12th-century Augustinian Monastery with fantastic views of the city. It is a short distance from the historic city of Guimarães, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and 2 km from the shopping area. The Pousada offers free private parking on site. In the summer, you can enjoy the esplanade and the outdoor swimming pool for both adults and children. It also has a playground, bar and a restaurant. The rooms are equipped with modern amenities, each with unique decor and Wi-Fi access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Pousada Mosteiro Guimaraes reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pousada De Guimaraes Santa Marinha Hotel Guimaraes