“Quirky and fantastic”

Solar Bragancano
Ranked #1 of 76 Restaurants in Braganca
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: This is a beautiful place in the central square of the historic centre of Braganca. Its situated in an old mansion and serves traditional Northern dishes (eg I had pheasant with chestnuts). Not many tourists go to Braganca, but if they do this is definitely an experience worth exploring.
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Hidden away behind an unassuming entrance is a real gem. Up some quite steep stairs we were led to a courtyard. There were nine of us but nothing was too much trouble for the couple who I assume are the owners. A charming setting with a good selection of food.

Bananas and cheese seemed a little eccentric but tasted really good. The rest of the menu was first class.

It was real value for money as well. So good was the food and the atmosphere that we returned a second night and was not disappointed.

Highly recommended.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,007)

Reviewed June 12, 2014

Located inside a manor house full of history, books, old furniture and tradition, this restaurant offers a fine selection of game and meat dishes that are a treat to the palate.
Run and serviced by an old nice couple who tend to every need the guests might have, as well as running a conversation about the history of the place, it's difficult to be disappointed by the experience even if the food might not be to your approval.
The game dishes are a sure way to get total satisfaction and desserts are a must.
Wine selection is quite conservative focusing on old established brands, rater than offering new producers or wines that break the tradition.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

My Fiance and her cousins dined at this amazing restaurant almost a year ago (Sorry for the lateness) and I still speak about the meal and the experience. The food, wine, service, atmosphere are the best I have ever received. The Library has an amazing collection of books to look at while enjoying a cafe. The Cherry Soup will remain a great memory. I will be back!

1  Thank Dunlop01
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I had the pleasure to eat here on a recent motorbike trip to spain and portugal, we had a wonderful experience here myself and my two friends, each meal was shared and marveled at, if you are in the area , do yourself a favour and visit what can only be described a a culinary and cultural gem., oh and the service is perfect.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

The silver chandeliers with lighted candles and crystal jars give a refined ambiance but...
... the food (kid goat) was salted and the owner only refiled the wine glasses to Spanish clients!!!
When the meal ended I asked him he did that and the answer was: "only people who drink white wine (and beer...).
The restaurant in a palace of the 18th century could be quite charming but I won't return there because we can't eat the romantic ambiance and there things unbearable like different treatment for different nationalities. Yes, I believe he makes a lot of money with Spanish tourists so... let it be.

1  Thank ordep
A. Desidério M, Proprietário at Solar Bragancano, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Before responding to Mr ORDEP – Pedro Maio, NIF 127 086 099, resident in Alhos Vedros, according to information he provided us, I would like to know of him what his family doctor knows, or his psychiatrist or even his friends or neighbours. He seems to me to be someone with a chip on his shoulder. Even like a Shakespearean character: "skinny, sleeps badly, troublesome ". Others might say different...

The reservation was made by telephone for 9pm, but the customer in fact arrived much later than this. When he entered, the restaurant was crowded. It was Holy Week, a very busy period in terms of tourism. Many people were looking hopefully at the empty table, but it was reserved. When ORDEP arrived, accompanied by a lady, he was led to it. When they were seated, they were given the menu to choose. Then their order was noted down: Meanwhile, he had decisively closed the menu. The order for two: one starter, one meat dish (he didn’t even bother to ask if one portion was enough for two) and half a bottle of house wine. I informed him that the kid was grilled on the barbecue and he accepted. We served appetizers that were not ordered, like toasted bread with olive oil, which my wife created many years ago in this kitchen in memory of her village and childhood, when she would have this bread at olive picking time with new olive oil. I would take this opportunity to say that today, in Bragança, many restaurants have begun to serve them, as well as a number of game dishes, that they have copied from our menu. Fortunately, the wood burning oven always lit, surrounded by iron pots ready for their preparation, in the purest traditional style, remained our own. Let’s go back to the ORDEP table: some folar made in the wood oven and stuffed with smoked Bísaro pork (an Easter speciality) was also put on the table, and eaten. I served Ordep the wine, first a little to taste, then some for his companion, then some more into his glass, and I left the bottle on the table. As I always do and will always do in this restaurant. It was a large table. There were 10 Spaniards at an even larger table, who had requested white wine and a beer. I also opened their bottle, gave them some to taste, then served it. But as there were 9 of them drinking wine, there was nothing left in the bottle and they asked for another. I went through the same ritual. I also served a glass of beer. They asked to taste another different white wine, so I changed their glasses. Meanwhile, I had left instructions in the kitchen not to serve the portion of kid goat on just one plate, but rather to split it, and generously, so that the Spaniards around them could not see that with a single portion there would be no advantage either for them or the restaurant. (At the end, already having left the dining room, he thanked me for having done so. My loss, however, still stands… They ate very well, and ate everything, and asked for two desserts. The bill, in the end was: 1 starter, 1 meat dish as requested, a half bottle of house wine (a whole bottle was drunk, 0.75l), and two desserts. Total: 33 euros, as printed on the invoice issued at 11.11pm on 17/04/2014, 23% VAT included. However my wife informed me that he was angry because I only poured the wine to the Spaniards, and did I not know that independence from the Spanish had been won a long time ago and that it had been so for some reason? On 1st December 1640, Portugal regained its independence with the Duke of Bragança leading the revolt. The Duke revolted and was king. Ordep revolted, but he paid the bill. Claiming the kid was a little salty for his taste. And it might have been.... But a couple of Spaniards at the next table who also ate the kid, said it was divine. He made a lot of fuss and it was noticed in the restaurant. I talked some hogwash at him because I just wanted to see the back of him and fast. We thought about the case and the type of person, and we sensed he’d retaliate. And so he did. And we know that he has greater techniques than ours. I’m sorry, and I’m grateful to other customers for not broadcasting the few mistakes we may have made here. But if at Solar Bragançano perfection reigned perennially, that would reveal a fact that might sadden me: I wouldn’t have been the one behind it...

António Desidério