“Simply Fantastic !!!”
Review of Quinta de Malta

Quinta de Malta
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Barcelos
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Quinta de Malta is a great place to relax and come down .
The location was fantastic restored some years ago by the
owners; every corner is clean and aesthetic furnished,
we missed absolutley nothing !
Also the staff (Ricardo) is a very likable and helpful person.
We are sure coming back the next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 19, 2014

The guesthouse is conveniently located centrally between Ponte de Lima and Viana do Castelo and is an excellent base to explore Barcelos and the region.
Friendly staff in a peaceful rural setting. Beautiful quinta (guesthouse) with all the amenities that you may require. Nice strong water in the shower.
Lovely swimming pool with views across the valley.
The atmosphere was so pleasant and the scenery so beautiful that we considered spending a whole day just staying at the guesthouse and not venturing out.
Ricardo the manager is very informative and helpful with many suggestions as to the local attractions.
I will definitely recommend this guesthouse to my friends and family.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JacoCl
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I decided to go to Northern Portugal for my birthday this year and chose Qunta de Malta on the strengh of its location, reasonable rates and good reviews. My husband and I stayed only three nights as we wanted to explore other parts of Portugal. I was not disappointed. The weather was the only disappointment. I cannot fault Quinta de Malta in terms of the location, the views, the accommodation, the food, the helpfulness of the manager and the cook/owner. We had our evening meals there. There was enough to feed 6 people every time. I asked for a special seafood meal on my birthday and wow! What a treat! It was as expected, more expensive than the normal dinner, but the quantity was , as usual, enormous. I wish we could have eaten it all. We had lovely chats with the manager, Ricardo, who was very helpful in every way. If possible, I would certainly go back there. I would choose Quinta de Malta over and above any 4/5 star hotel.. It is a bit tricky to find, I would suggest more clear directions once you get to the village. I would also suggest a choice of tea and coffee in the guest sitting room. Green tea was available but my husband is not too keen on it.

Room Tip: We had a room with a covered terrace where we could sit and read before dinner.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mary S
Reviewed April 14, 2014

you will find Quinta de Malta a generous estate of old granite mansions perfectly restored with all modern amenities. Enjoy the view over the valley, gardens, pool, billiard or spacious lounge with a glass of porto by the crackling fire. We picked ripe oranges and lemons straight from the trees to eat, made trips to Ponte de Lima, Viano do Castelo and Barcelos. Your hosts and Ricardo will try very hard to solve anything you may wish, be it practical or historic background.
Just a minor drawback of solide granite walls is that wifi may not penetrate to all corners but just outside on the terrasse you will be fine and with Portugal beeing mostly sunny it is the preferred spot in any case.

Room Tip: the appartments are an even better deal than the rooms
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ocjr
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Quinta de Malta. I had mixed my dates up and we arrived a day early but both the owners and Ricardo the manager were very accommodating and luckily they had a room free for us.

The gardens are lovely and so are the views. We enjoyed the pool area, too. Breakfast was a treat, with cake, home made jams and a selection of cheeses and fruits.

It was a little tricky to find the place but it's not far from the main road and handy for using as a base to explore the area.

I found the bed a little hard and had to sleep on top of a folded duvet but my husband slept soundly.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank juliedawnfox
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We (22 people) stayed in Quinta de Malta for a 6 days seminar this October and we truly enjoyed our time there. The rooms are lovely and very clean, the food was delicious (including vegan/vegetarian friendly cakes) and the Hosts were really friendly. It seems like a dream place for a wedding too!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank chazzamilton
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We spent five days at the beautiful Quinta with a group of 22 for a business retreat. We were greeted with a beautiful glass of port and had everything was catered for. Ricardo and the Quinta owner made a tremendous effort to cater for the everyone's diet needs (including home-made cakes and treats for vegans and vegetarians) with traditional home-made Portuguese dinners including the Quinta's own wine. It's a very nice base for Viana do Costello and the beach, as well as Ponte de Lima or Braga, and hiking in Geres National Park.
The Quinta de Malta team were very attentive and provided a wonderful environment for productive work sessions in their meeting room. Whether for a business meeting, a family vacation (they have apartments as well as traditional rooms) or a romantic get-away, this peaceful Quinta will provide anyone with a very special stay in Minho.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barcelos
Bagoeira Hotel
#1 of 7 in Esposende
Tempus Hotel & Spa
Tempus Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Ponte da Barca

Been to Quinta de Malta? Share your experiences!