“What a beautiful location!”

Restaurante O Calhetas
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“What a beautiful location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

We visited this restaurant a couple of times during our stay. We had been told that it was more pricey than some on the island but didn't find it overpriced. The menu is varied and portions ample to say the least. We had charming and slick service .
WEll worth a visit.

Visited October 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Funchal, Portugal
“Never disappointed me.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Every year I visit every year and runs well.
The food is good the service is attentive.
Do not expect to be always at your table and it takes little time, but it will be so in any restaurant in the port saint.
But they are extremely friendly and the food is fabulous, I would strongly recommend the "seafood feijoada".
Excellent location in front of the wonderful beach.
Excellent quality price ratio.
Strongly recommend.

• Visited September 2013
Porto Santo
“Hello! Am I invisible?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

After walking a couple of miles along the beach to reach the end of the island we thought we would stop for a drink and check out the menu of Calhetas. Realising it was later than we thought we also decided to stop for some food. Bad decision! Pretty much from the moment we arrived the waiting staff ignored us and busied themselves with serving everyone apart from us. We ended up going to the counter to order our drinks and even our meal. There seemed to be a lot of Portuguese customers and the staff were all over them like a rash and totally ignored us to the point of passing us to take orders from people who had arrived after us. We were told the restaurant was fully booked and that we would have to eat 'out there' in the open bar area. In the time we were there (to approx. 9:30pm) hardly any of the tables became occupied in the restaurant area.
The food was passable; nobody came back to us to ask how the meal was; my wife's steak was practically raw. When I had finished my meal the waitress eventually came over to us to clear and enquired whether my wife was happy with her meal, as she had hardly eaten any of it. Too late, she said we should have said we wanted it cooked more; couldn't appreciate that they should have asked us how we wanted it in the first place. At this point we just wanted to pay up and leave This was to whispers and grumbling from the manager and staff. I do not class my wife or I as unpleasant people, so I don't believe that the restaurant had any cause to treat us so poorly. We will not be returning and we will be warning anyone we meet from going there!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Ted59527
“If you are around”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stopped to see this end of the island and ended up staying for lunch. The food was good but the service was like in most of the island, a bit slow. I recommend the bolo de caco; the typical garlic bread and the typical fish with garlic and onion. Would return particularly for the fish!

Visited July 2013
Evansville, Wisconsin
“Fantastic view and great service for a beach restaurant!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

We've been down to the point or end of the island on several occasions but had never considered it for an evening dinner. Our trusted taxi driver had suggested that we try them out (he also told us they had chicken dishes, so much for the trust!). I think he liked to spread the business around. In a weeks time we had visited 6 different restaurants and of those I would give this one a 3rd or 4th place. I think when a restaurant has a specialty at least one person of the party try it. Most times it is always readily prepared. We arrived late and so it was past sunset and it had cooled down, so indoor seating was best. Since we were only one table of about 3 eating dinner we had excellent service. We also had the local light green wine which was also quite good with all the seafood dishes. I think I would recommend an earlier seating and then you could set outside and take in the wonderful view!

• Visited June 2013