“Hello! Am I invisible?”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 17, 2013

After walking a couple of miles along the beach to reach the end of the island we thought we would stop for a drink and check out the menu of Calhetas. Realising it was later than we thought we also decided to stop for some food. Bad decision! Pretty much from the moment we arrived the waiting staff ignored us and busied themselves with serving everyone apart from us. We ended up going to the counter to order our drinks and even our meal. There seemed to be a lot of Portuguese customers and the staff were all over them like a rash and totally ignored us to the point of passing us to take orders from people who had arrived after us. We were told the restaurant was fully booked and that we would have to eat 'out there' in the open bar area. In the time we were there (to approx. 9:30pm) hardly any of the tables became occupied in the restaurant area.
The food was passable; nobody came back to us to ask how the meal was; my wife's steak was practically raw. When I had finished my meal the waitress eventually came over to us to clear and enquired whether my wife was happy with her meal, as she had hardly eaten any of it. Too late, she said we should have said we wanted it cooked more; couldn't appreciate that they should have asked us how we wanted it in the first place. At this point we just wanted to pay up and leave This was to whispers and grumbling from the manager and staff. I do not class my wife or I as unpleasant people, so I don't believe that the restaurant had any cause to treat us so poorly. We will not be returning and we will be warning anyone we meet from going there!

2  Thank Ted59527

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stopped to see this end of the island and ended up staying for lunch. The food was good but the service was like in most of the island, a bit slow. I recommend the bolo de caco; the typical garlic bread and the typical fish with garlic and onion. Would return particularly for the fish!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We've been down to the point or end of the island on several occasions but had never considered it for an evening dinner. Our trusted taxi driver had suggested that we try them out (he also told us they had chicken dishes, so much for the trust!). I think he liked to spread the business around. In a weeks time we had visited 6 different restaurants and of those I would give this one a 3rd or 4th place. I think when a restaurant has a specialty at least one person of the party try it. Most times it is always readily prepared. We arrived late and so it was past sunset and it had cooled down, so indoor seating was best. Since we were only one table of about 3 eating dinner we had excellent service. We also had the local light green wine which was also quite good with all the seafood dishes. I think I would recommend an earlier seating and then you could set outside and take in the wonderful view!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We sit outside as the dusk falls and drink ice cold Coral with Tremocos or Bolo de caco. Attentive service and staff who give the time to chat. The Espada is highly recommended and Fire Water to finish. The setting with the Ilheu da Cal in the background is idyllic. We always eat there at least twice on every trip.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Another one to visit if you love views. You can watch the sea, look at the rocks, walk on the sand first if you want. Relax and enjoy your meal in a perfect setting.