My wife, 9 year old daughter and I really enjoyed our time at Pestana Columbus and as an all inclusive you have to rate the entire experience.
Most the staff were excellent and very friendly. However I have to give a special mention to the head of animation, Luciano, who made our stay a pleasure. He did yoga every morning because we all enjoyed it so much, he was also the star of the magic show, fire show and acrobatics which everyone enjoyed. Whatever they are paying him it's not enough! Also thank you to the management for allowing my daughter to practice the piano every day.
The flash dance, twice daily was an excellent idea, with kids and adults joining in - my daughter described it as the chorus to our day. However the 'go games' were a bit lame and could easily be improved on. Another hotel we stayed at made all the activities worth joining in by giving you 'hotel money'. Twice weekly they had an auction where you could bid for hotel merchandise, bottles of rum etc.
The standard room is large with a beautiful bath tub (apparently they cost 6000 euros) and a large separate shower. A king size bed with a sofa that has a comfortable pull out bed. As stated in the other reviews Thomson clients aren't given a sea view but at present you can upgrade for 90 euros. The only complaint about the room was that we had no hot water for 2 days, we were moved room where there was no hot water the next morning and only warm for all mornings after that, only hot in the evenings.
The buffet restaurant could have been designed better and should really have been built to have views of the sea. But I was told it was designed as luxury apartments rather than a hotel. However it was much better than it's sister hotel, Pestana. In fact many people traveled over every day to eat at this restaurant where the food and atmosphere were better and in addition much quieter. I thought the quality of the food was very good with fresh fish or meat, cooked to order available every day.
You are only allowed to book 3 a la carte restaurants. Unfortunately during the week we were there, half term, there were not enough places for everyone to get their 3 bookings. During busy times they should really keep all the restaurants open each night. With that said we were very impressed with the food, especially the steak in the Japanese restaurant and the beef and pork on the skewer in the Med Lovers restaurant. We didn't enjoy the Italian restaurant, we only really ate the cheese and ham from the buffet starters as the risotto, pizza and lasagne were no good.
There are lots of swimming pools but the water was too cold to swim outside for 99% of the people there. It would have been nice to have had one outdoor swimming pool that was heated. There is also 2 indoor swimming pools.
The beach is spectacular, best beach I have seen in Europe. The sea was cold with only a few people bravely swimming out. We went running every morning, daughter included, as it was just such a great experience.
Last grumble - we didn't enjoy any of the cocktails, the lager was too gassy and we could never manage to drink more than half a bottle of wine each. The airport had exactly the same brand of lager but tasted completely different and was noticeably more alcoholic.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pestana Colombos Premium Club is a luxury hotel located on the island of Porto Santo, a paradise with an extensive sand area of almost 10 kilometres and warm and crystalline waters. Considered the best dune beach in Portugal, this is the perfect spot for beach lovers, with its transparent waters and golden sand. This marvellous all inclusive five star resort offers an enormous outdoor pool, an indoor pool and a modern SPA making this one of the best hotels in Porto Santo. Pestana Colombos Premium Club is the ideal resort for those who wish to get away from everything and enjoy a holiday without stress, to enjoy the Porto Santo sun and take a dive on the beach or at the hotel pool. Whether it be a family holiday or with a group of friends, at the Pestana Colombos you will have an unforgettable experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pestana Colombos Premium Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Colombo`s Beach Hotel Porto Santo
- Colombo`s Beach And Spa Resort