Madeira is a lovely island and well worth a visit. The type of hotel you choose is important and this is a nice 4 star accommodation right on the coast with great views of the Atlantic.
It's important to note that this is a very quiet location. The loudest things there are the cockerels and howling dogs that 'chorus' on occasion (A bit annoying but it goes with the territory and you can hardly fault the hotel for that - Close your window?).
It is close to shopping and transportation services with easy access to Funchal (About 15 minutes on a bus). You can buy a Giro Pass for the day for about 5 Euros, if you're going to make more than two bus trips it is worth it to get one. If you like a good walk there is a coastal pathway you can walk along and enjoy the views.
On arrival the lobby staff were very attentive and helpful and maintained that kind of service through our time there. It was my Birthday and the hotel had put a bottle of champers in the room with a card, nice touch :-)
Maid Service was again efficient. Bar Service and Restaurant could have been quicker. Everything was a little overly laid back for us. Drinks were slow and tables were not cleaned very quickly for other guests.
We stayed in the centre building and had a large suite. It was clean and spacious with a nice balcony, offering a view of the hillside and the Atlantic. Very relaxing in the evening with a few drinks and snacks. Plenty of storage and a small kitchenette. Living area with a couple of couches and an average sized flat screen TV. Beds were ok but we aren't very keen on the twin beds. There are no rooms with double beds or with a bath according to reception.
We only had a look at the Spa so we can't really comment on the service but it appears to definitely be a place to relax. There is a heated indoor pool in the Spa area as well. There is also a gym available which is well equipped.
All in all, we had a good time here. It is a lovely place to relax and get plenty of peace and quiet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Residence welcomes you to a enchanting 4-star hotel in an excellent location on the south coast of Madeira. Overlooking the sea and some imposing cliffs, the opportunities for fantastic sunsets are offered every day during your holidays. Once inside, the hotel is built with many open spaces to make the most of the natural light and a modern and luxurious design with comfortable and functional public areas to rest, relax, read or socialize with your fellow guests. The atmosphere is complete with the panoramic sea views and some of the banana plantations still existing in Funchal. More than a hotel, at the Golden Residence you will find the perfect solution for a holiday where well-being and relaxation will take on a new meaning for you. The excellent service and careful attention for small detail is what makes the difference. ... and we encourage you to discover its many charms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your Golden Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Residence Apartment Funchal
- Hotel Golden Residence Apartment
- Golden Residence Madeira/Funchal