We stayed at the Golden Residence Apart Hotel for a week in December, booked through AlphaRooms.com. I chose the hotel for its location and for the consistently good Trip Advisor reviews. We weren’t disappointed.
The hotel includes blocks set north to south two blocks on one side of a small road and lower blocks. Facilities are wide ranging from indoor and outdoor pools, sauna, holistic therapy suite, indoor/outdoor restaurant, large reception area, Wi-Fi in communal areas and use of public computers, book exchange to name the few I can remember. You can walk through the upper blocks using lifts there to the Estrada Monumental where it's a short walk to an indoor shopping mall with supermarket.
For us the location was great, we had hired a car collect and return to the airport as we intended to travel round having seen Funchal itself before. Access to the Rapido 'motorway' is quick and easy due to a new tunnel, (your map/Sat Nav may not show this so ask first if you hire a car). We decided to use the underground hotel car park for security at €5 a night. There are spaces on a nearby road but I wouldn’t recommend it. My only comment about the car park is that the lights are on timed sensors. If you intend to spend time sorting out your car take a torch with you as it is really pitch black on the lower floor. If you don’t have a car, buses stop right outside the hotel. Just to mention there is a brand new road linking the road to Eira do Serrado (don’t take the Curral das Freiras new road) and Pico do Arieiro which won’t be on any maps but has stunning views (and is very steep).
We had a standard twin room in C Block, on the same floor as the main restaurant and bar and outdoor swimming pool. Although it was at the start of the accommodation corridor other then one night it was really quiet. The room was a good size with well fitted shower room with large shower, small kitchen hidden behind cupboard doors with fridge and microwave. (Take a kettle with you). It was beautifully clean and very well maintained. One real annoyance was not the fault of the hotel but apparently a fairly new problem in Madeira – ants. The little b’s would appear in a second if there was anything in the way of food be it wrapping or even soil. The hotel does spray and will spray on request but as the little b’s found their way into the fridge and sealed containers it is a problem. I repeat though that it is not the fault of the hotel in any way, just a warning.
Staff in their entirety were amazing, I don’t think in all the places we have stayed we have had such friendly yet professional and efficient staff. Nothing seems too much trouble, front of house staff are attentive and observant. Reception staff have a wealth of information both about the hotel and area.
We booked half board. Breakfast and dinner are buffet style. Waiting and bar staff are available for table service needs. Because of the time of year the hotel had relatively few guests. We were pleasantly surprised at the range of food on offer at both meals given so few diners. The food was well cooked and well presented. Each night there was a theme for the dinner including South American, Madeiran, and Fish. I had steak a couple of nights and it was so tender and cooked just right.
The hotel aims to be as environmentally responsible as possible.
Would recommend the hotel to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Residence welcomes you to a enchanting 4-star hotel in an excellent location on the south coast of Madeira. Overlooking the sea and some imposing cliffs, the opportunities for fantastic sunsets are offered every day during your holidays. Once inside, the hotel is built with many open spaces to make the most of the natural light and a modern and luxurious design with comfortable and functional public areas to rest, relax, read or socialize with your fellow guests. The atmosphere is complete with the panoramic sea views and some of the banana plantations still existing in Funchal. More than a hotel, at the Golden Residence you will find the perfect solution for a holiday where well-being and relaxation will take on a new meaning for you. The excellent service and careful attention for small detail is what makes the difference. ... and we encourage you to discover its many charms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, Odigeo and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Golden Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Residence Apartment Funchal
- Hotel Golden Residence Apartment
- Golden Residence Madeira/Funchal