Just come back after a week booked through Lastminute.com:
- Location - about 1km west of the Old Town and close to the Casino, but down a relative backstreet and not known by many of the taxi drivers!
OTOH at least 6 decent restaurants within 5 mins walking distance (inc. 2 Italian, Indochinese, Turkish, Madeiran, etc) - but no real "nightlife, except for the Casino, which has a pretty good floor show, with good food/wine, 4 nights a week but make sure you don't get sucked into playing the machines afterwards unless you want to. (and watch out for the unofficial "tourist information" booth on the forecourt near the road as it is actually touting for the hotel chain and something that sounded like timeshares!).
- Hotel itself is modern and generally quite adequate; staff generally very helpful indeed (got us out of trouble on at least one occasion). However, whilst the beds look good and are comfortable, they can creak an awful lot due to very poor construction - to the extent that we virtually demanded a room change after the 1st night, and got moved from a rear 1st floor room with no sea view (TBF, we had conciously chosen the cheaper room!) to a bigger and much better 2nd floor room for the 2nd night onwards, and this did have a seaview!
Breakfasts are OK as others have mentioned, but repetitive, and take your own teabags if you want a decent cup!
Wifi - but no reception other than in the Reception area.
Due to the orientation of the building, the swimming pool is only in the sunshine (WHEN it does shine - there was a lot of cloud and rain last week) during the afternoons but looks reasonably well equipped with sun-loungers.
On the whole, the hotel can't really be faulted much at the price and the location (there looked to be far worse locations further out to the west to stay with a lot of travel to get anywhere and few visible restaurants or other amenities.)
OTOH, the taxi shuttle service, laid on by LastMinute, from/to the airport was nearly a bloody disaster for the return trip: No information at hotel until late on the evening before departure and then only after many phone calls to the taxi "emergency number" (typically got a recorded message!) and then to LastMinute in the UK, and then they picked us up only about 2.5hrs prior to nominal takeoff time. Then, when we got to the airport, we were given no instructions on where to go/what to expect and spent nearly the whole of the next 2hrs queuing (Easyjet check-in = 1hr+; Security check = 20mins, boarding gate queue 20mins!). No time for any shopping/eating and hardly enough time for a pee (when you could eventually find the loos - the layout of the place is one of the worst I have come across in years!)
John & Suzanne
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Splitty and Booking.com so you can book your Madeira Bright Star reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Madeira Bright Star Hotel Funchal
- Madeira Bright Star Funchal