“Ideal location”

Atlantida Apartments
Reviewed May 11, 2013

If you want to be in an ideal central location to see Funchal at ease then this is the place to stay.
If you don't wish to cook at all then everything is on your doorstep.
The apartment we stayed in was well equipped in the kitchen. Excellent beds, slept soundly the whole time, particularly quiet even though so central. A few niggly things which could have been fixed with a screwdriver, bidet towel rail, bidet plug, fridge door.
The reception staff were very friendly & info leaflets were always updated & added to.
We would definitely stay here again & hopefully get better weather next time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sue473

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We just got back from an 8 night stay in these apartments.
The situation is excellent; like already described in other reviews ; near to all you need like restaurants, bars, shopping, fresh delicious bread ( and dangerously excellent pastries...) at 100 meter from the apartment; you name it and it was close by.
We loved the balcony at the back of the apartment ( apartment 303) and that back side was really very calm taking into consideration that you are almost in the center of Funchal ( walk about 15 minutes and you are in the streets with many-many restaurants!) On the balcony you overlook the roofs of a part of Funchal. There are 2 chairs and no table.
The bathroom is quit big and clean and equipped with bath, shower, bidet and toilet.
The beds are OK , a little too hard for me, but I could live with it and slept not too bad.
The price was very good we paid for the balcony apartment 580 Euro for 8 nights.
The staff kind and helpful.

Would I recommend these apartments : yes, but: I have to say if they wish to remain in the *good apartments hit-parade* then they should pay more attention to the maintenance because:

The fridge door could almost not be opened because it shove on the floor so my husband repaired it with his screwdriver.
The furniture shows signs of tiredness and use:
-the dining chairs were not very stable anymore
-the carpet was torn and very much curled up at the edges, really annoying ; we made a remark about this and maybe it will be changed.
-upon entrance I was not impressed by the cleanliness of the 2 rooms; I found it dusty and I found dirty plates ( rice remnants) and some not too clean cutlery in the drawer. OK no big deal I cleaned it and that was that.
-the lamps are crooked the one in the bedroom and the one in the sitting room.
-although it is rented as an apartment with kitchenette no kitchen towels etc are provided so bring you own; pots and pans are in good condition ( we only took our breakfast there).

All the above mentioned is not a drama but these are signs of neglect which can be avoided ( easily without much costs).
Nevertheless: enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Ask for an apartment at the back with a balcony for which we paid 5 euros per night more: it is real...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sullaneza
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Just got back Monday after spending a week at these apartments.In a great location for walking into the centre of Funchal and and all its attractions, over the road from the beautiful Municipal Gardens and just around the corner from the modern Dolce Vita shopping centre.
The rooms are very clean,modern and well equipped with everything you need on a self catering holiday. The staff are all very helpful and friendly,(special thanks to Angela on reception). We thoroughly enjoyed our Easter break in Funchal and would definately stay at the Atlantida again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WakefieldCharley
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Very handy position for La Dolce Vita shopping center and the old town, quiet, especially at the back of the hotel. We found the beds hard, but foam mattresses found quickly which helped. Also "double" bed can mean two single beds pushed together, not quite the same thing, but again in the end this was changed.

Charming staff, very positive and with excellent English - a word of warning on payments - we used a card we do not normally use to pay for the room in early Feb, and 5 weeks later found someone using the card to buy a mobile phone, which was stopped by our bank. The only previous use for the past 2 months had been Atlantida - curious??

Room Tip: Go for a room at the back of the hotel, with a balcony and good views - we had room 403, one level f...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DWH-MAH
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Found this on the internet, and had high hopes. Reality was even better. Even if I was in one of the balcony-free, lower floor flats, I absolutely adored it. The swanky (yet very functional) bathroom, the huge double bed (with great mattresses), the kitchen suite and the sitting area (and a TV with tons of channels) was just what I needed on a week that was for a great part both wet and windy. When you're on holiday and have to stay in you can't fare much better that this, and 37 square meters is enough for me, (especially when the first week had been spent in a dark, cramped hotel room that cost even more.) That was the space, now we come to the service. The reception ladies, Tais, Angela, Paula and Sandra are as pretty as they are capable, and made the stay a true blast. They all speak good english, are funny and cute and know eveything you might have to find out during your stay. Cleaning was spotless and unintrusive, fresh towels every day (if you wanted), and in general I can only say that I would gladly spend the rest of my life here if it came to that, that's how happy I am with this place. Did I mention that it is situated smack in the middle of downtown Funchal, whether it is shopping, dining or just hanging out that is your thing? Oh, and the Wifi is free and works like a charm, I was hooked up the whole week. I will come again, ASAP! And bring all my friends! You do the same!

Room Tip: Not all flats/studios have balconies, check in advance if this is important to you. The higher up th...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DSS11
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My parents who are in their 70s stayed here while I was in a apartment down the street this past August. The first apartment they were in on the 3rd floor was beautiful, clean all modern finishes,but the A.C. didn't work so they were moved to an apartment facing the north side on the 5th floor. This apartment was quite large and had 2 floors with additional rooms at the top. It too was very modern and clean and very quiet. It was so big it really felt like someone's apartment. They had breakfast every morning and parking was available for 5 euros/day. I was very impressed with the quality and the location was fantastic as it was in the centre, near Dolce Vita Shopping Centre (there is a Pingo Doce/grocery store), the taxi stands, Cafe do Teatro, and walking to the Marina. I have recommended this place to friends and will stay here next time I am in Funchal. They don't have blenders in the apartment - so if you are trying to make soup or baby food you will need to find one elsewhere or bring one.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank JackieJDS
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have severe walking problems, and as such needed somewhere that was near all amenities, Atlantida is simply amazing, with substantial lifts available, a choice of rooms (the best views are at the rear)

The apartments are so well placed for central Funchal, everything and I mean everything, was to hand, shops restaurants, the marina, nightlife, indeed the whole of Funchal was at your fingertips, and with plenty of seating within all Funchal streets I found it very easy to get around.

I would most certainly recommend these apartments. and would definitely return

Your Breakfast is or was an addition to your room, Breakfast is served on the ground floor should you require it, but with a multitude of café available within yards of the entrance, not many folk appeared to use this facility,

5 star for: Cost, Cleanliness, Locality, Location and Staff, what more could you wish for, enjoy your stay, we did

Room Tip: Best room with a view are at the rear and overlook the hiil behind Funchal
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple