The Quinta Sao Goncalo has to rate as one of the loveliest b&b establishments we've ever stayed in. It's a classy old estate with a lovely and quiet front garden, a mere 25-minute walk from the centre of town. There are only about 5 rooms, so it tends to sell out quickly. The rooms themselves are quite large and most feature lovely views over Funchal. (Especially the largest room, with its own terrace.). One thing that really impressed us was the amount of built in closet and storage space, and the beds were very comfortable.
The breakfasts were ample and the service was attentive and pleasant. Wireless internet didn't quite reach our room, but was good in the middle of the building, where they even provide a laptop for guest use.
There's a good restaurant (Zarcos) just up the street from the Quinta if you don't feel like going into town, but it's a steep uphill climb on foot.
Finding the hotel was a bit of a challenge the first time; I'm glad we weren't trying to find it at night. It's hidden behind a high wall with an electric gate. There's a small brass sign on the gate that you'd never see in the dark.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Quinta could be considered a heritage home. The property has been converted into a comfortable quiet and discreet bed and breakfast guesthouse. The Quinta enjoys a spectacular and awesome view overlooking the sea with the harbor and centre of Funchal at its feet. For most part of the year breakfast can be served in the charming and peaceful terrace. The rest of the time will be served in the dining room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Quinta Sao Goncalo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quinta Sao Goncalo Hotel Funchal
- Quinta Sao Goncalo Madeira/Funchal