This hotel is on the edge of Funchal (or rather its western suburb Sao Goncalo) so is not ideal if you want to be in the centre of Funchal but it does not take that long to drive into the centre and the environment is much nicer than around many of the hotels in the centre. It is high up above the sea and from the breakfast room and the left hand end of the hotel there is a fantastic view over the bay of Funchal. The value was excellent. We booked it with Easyjet from London Gatwick in late March and for the two of us it was only just over £200 each for flights and the hotel (including breakfasts but plus the usual Easyjet charge for suitcases). Our room was quite nice and of a reasonable size. The bed was very comfortable. There was some slight mold growth on a few parts of the grouting to the tiles above the bath but not enough to be a problem and the bedroom and bathroom were generally very clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. Our room had a sea view. The disadvantage was that there was some road noise from the road in front of the hotel but the road was not that busy and we did not find it to be that much of a problem. The buffet breakfast was about average and quite acceptable, not the best but certainly not the worst we have encountered. We did not use the hotel restaurant, so I do not know how good it is. The menu did not seem anything special and there were much cheaper ones in central Funchal. There is a free courtesy bus into Funchal but only twice a day each way. We had a car so did not use it. I think there may be other local bus services as some guests appeared to be using them but I do not know enough to comment. There was adequate free parking at the hotel when we were there. Overall, we are very happy to have chosen this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Ocean Gardens Hotel with a privileged location on the top of a cliff, offers amazing ocean views and views to the Bay of Funchal. This charming Hotel, offers to its guests comfort and well-being in a welcoming and familiar atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Otel, Hotwire, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Ocean Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Gardens Funchal
- Ocean Gardens Hotel Funchal
- Ocean Gardens Madeira/Funchal