“A Must but be prepared to be ripped off with Taxis at the end”

Wicker Toboggan Sled Ride
Ranked #18 of 111 Tours in Funchal
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We enjoyed our toboggan sled ride, it is a fun experience. We were lucky and only had to queue for about 15 minutes. It had rained heavily the night before and there were plastic sheets over the seats as the fabric cushions were sopping. Our photo was taken as we got going and a souvenir photo frame and CD was available for E10 when we got off the sled after our 15 minute ride.
You get off halfway down the hill which is a pain. There are many taxis waiting here and we were approached quickly and offered a taxi for E25, we bartered this down to E15, but only after walking away and the taxi driver ran after us. To be honest, the route was much longer than I thought it would be and the E15 was a fair price I suppose.
Overall, it was expensive for the whole experience but we had been unable to do this on our last visit to Funchal and had regretted not doing it earlier. We would recommend doing it once.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,222)

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I agree wholeheartedly with everything the previous two reviewers have said about this experience, having done it myself yesterday. It was just a fantastic ride and a one-off that you would not be able to do anywhere else. We tipped the toboggan drivers, as we felt they deserved it and we bought the photo too. It will remind me that I grinned like a Cheshire Cat all the whole way down and would have gone back up and done it all again if I could have! We walked back down the hill into town in about 25 minutes and it was very pleasant (although my calves know about it today). If you are thinking about doing it, I would say stop thinking and just do it - it really is great fun!

1  Thank winemonster
Reviewed January 4, 2013

exhilarating, but only takes you 1/3 of the way back down. Very pleased we said no thanks to the taxi's and walked back down the hill into Funchal. It is steep, but no problem in flat shoes and well worth doing.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

What a thrill, I screamed almost all of the way down the hill & it was absolutely fantastic! We paid 15 euro each for this 7 & a half minute trip, but I didn't mind as it was on my list of stuff to do in Madeira. Although the lads cheekily asked for a tip at the end, & I gave them one as there was some dragging involved & between us we ain't no lightweight. We walked the rest of the way down the oh so steep hill, although you can get a taxi or the bus down. I wouldn't have missed the ride for anything, I just wished it had gone on longer & the hills were steeper.

2  Thank DeuceWooo
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Really enjoyed this one off experience in Funchal. We caught the cable car to Monte and looked round the gardens and then used the toboggan to get part way back to town. Liked the fact that the toboggan pushers weren't pushy which was light relief from the taxi drivers in the town! We paid 45 euros for three of us - a bit pricey but we took the view that we were only ever going to do it once......

Some of the hills are quite steep so it's a bit of a hair raising experience at times, but great fun. When you get off the sled, they've taken a picture which you can purchase for 10 euros, we bought ours but lots of people didn't and again they weren't pushy.

As other reviewers have said you need to think about how to get back to town, taxi drivers are everywhere at this point touting for business, if you ignore them, they go away...eventually! We walked back into town, about half an hour and all down hill, but there are regular buses as well.

All in all a great experience.

1  Thank pinkbroo