“Great”

Apartamentos Sao Paulo e Alegria
Ranked #54 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Nice, little hotel. Cleaning every day. Good location nearby Dolce Vita -shopping center.
Rooms seems to be renovated, flat LCD-television with cable and 40 channels.
Only things I would do, is adding a dish washing machine. Then it's perfect.

Would use same hotel again :)

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank perkeles
There are newer reviews for Apartamentos Sao Paulo e Alegria

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just came back from a business trip and am already planing to go back with my family in the Summer. I was not sure what to expect as I travel a lot and have come to expect the worse but this place was really impressive especially given the price. The big things such as cleanliness and location are all there but I was mostly impressed with the little details such as fresh towels every day, different theme in every room and the willingness of the staff to help out. I do not speak Portuguese but they are multilingual and seemed to enjoy what they were doing as opposed to the drab and miserable people I have encountered in other locations.
There was also a fine selection of breakfasts available and I made sure to try something different every morning.
I will go back with my family as the place also seemed child friendly as was stated by another guest whom I got chatting to one morning.
The only downside I had was that I was too busy with work to explore the natural beauty of the island but hopefully I can remedy that next Summer.

Room Tip: Just ask the manager to view what they have available as each room is very different and carries a d...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Charles D
Reviewed December 21, 2012

My partner and I stayed here in November.. It is in a ideal location and is in within 10 mins walking distance to the harbour and the main shopping area. A very clean hotel and everyone is so helpful in every way. The room was cleaned every day with clean towels always. Cannot write anything negative about this hotel. The only thing I would advise is that I would not recommend this if you have young children, but is ideal for couples who want a base to work from. It hosts a very nice private little balcony where you can go and sit overlooking some beautiful views of Funchal. Would return there with no hesitation whatsover. Hope this is helpful to anyone who is trying to make a decision.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank katie01t
Reviewed October 26, 2012

W£e need somewhere for a one-night stopover. We checked in at about 11am rather to the surprise of the lady doing the cleaning. I had sent an email and was under the impression from Booking.com that check in was 10 am onwards. Anyway, this was not a problem, we were asked to put our cases in our room while it was cleaned and to take a stroll for an hour or so. We went to the nearby Dolce Vita shopping centre -so convenient. You get an annexe with kitchenette, comfortable beds and a sizeable room. For the money, excellent value. Only downsides are it is a bit noisy from traffic, and thge shower could have been cleaner. Not enough negatives to stop us using it next year.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LuvFunchal
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at the apartments in September and they were perfect for what I wanted - somewhere clean, comfortable and safe. I was in the second set of apartments, not the main ones.

The apartment exceeded my expectations in some ways - the towels were changed every day, there was a separate kitchen, a dinky balcony (plus a sun terrace if I wanted to lay in the sun) and satellite TV.

As a solo traveller I also appreciate feeling secure, and I did in this apartment, I had a fantastic time here and I will definitely return.

The location is good with a supermarket almost a stone's throw away and the town about 10 minutes walk, depending where you want to go.

The apartment owner was extremely welcoming and helpful. What more could you want???

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank SVNineEight
Reviewed May 26, 2012

It’s in the Centre of the city, so traffic noise exists but it’s not overwhelming. Old town is within walking distance. A shopping centre is 5 minutes away with a Pingo Doce supermarket.
We had rooms on the top floor (numbers 19 and 20), so we had a magnificent advantage: the roof terrace with great views of Funchal, the terrace has tables and chairs so you can eat outside. These apartments have 2 rooms, 4 individual beds and the possibility for 2 extra beds; 2 bathrooms with shower and hairdryer. Furniture is a little bit outdated but in good condition. Change of towels is done every day. A small kitchen with fridge, microwave and the essential kitchenware is also available. Cable TV is available on both rooms. Good breakfast included, with various breads, cheese, ham, cereals, fruit, yogurt, coffee, milk and tea, etc. Free WiFi is available and also free Internet corner at the lobby. No AC available.
If you plan to go walking on “levadas”, like we were, the manager is very helpful, he knows the trails because he himself does it .The staff is very friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank ptnov64
Reviewed January 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 20 days over the Christmas/New Years period. Great location, clean and very friendly staff. They will provide advice on which sights to see, arrange car rentals, etc. It is a 5 minute walk to a shopping centre with a large super market. Food prices are good, and with the apartment's stove, microwave, fridge and dishes; you can eat well on a modest budget. Complementary wireless internet is provided in all rooms -- fast and reliable.

Breakfast is included, and it was good with various breads, cheese, cereal, fruit, coffee and tea, etc.

If you rent a car (we did) inexpensive parking is provided across the street. Madeira is not small, so if you are comfortable driving a standard shift, as all rentals are here, that is the best way to get around. If not, one of the main bus terminals is 5 minutes away and will take you to most of the major attractions on the island.

You can pay more and stay at a luxury hotel, but if you want the flexibility of doing most of your own cooking and enjoying the central part of traditional Funchal, you will be hard pressed to beat this place.

We really enjoyed our stay at Apartamentos Turisticos Sao Paulo e Alegria, and we highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple