“Discreetly Luxurious...”
Review of Quinta Mirabela

Quinta Mirabela
Ranked #48 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I stayed here, very last minute for a couple of nights. Considering the booking was so hurried, my expectations see quite low, especially since it seemed pretty cheap compared to its rivals.

Wow, what a hidden gem!!!

The greeting was warm & friendly, accompanied by a lovely glass of chilled wine; the familiarisation of the hotels amenities was comprehensive, but worth it. I stayed on the fourth floor, which I highly recommend because you have a small private terrace & a fantastic view of the harbour area.

Ok, location-wise, you are not in the thick of it, but it is only a short drive, or taxi ride onto the old town. Being away from the hum-drum suited me anyway. The views are fantastic.

The staff are warm & friendly, keeping a discreet distance, & nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are well appointed, bed line is sumptuous, the bathroom has lovely products. If I am to nit-pick over anything, the shaving/makeup mirror wasn't well lit & I would have preferred feather pillows.... but those are two very, very minor pouts. I love this hotel.

The breakfast is a feast; the fruit is very fresh, eggs cooked to order, & champagne for those who are really taking the holiday making seriously!!!

I would highly recommend, & definitely stay again. A real gem of a hotel.

Room Tip: Fourth floor for a private terrace....
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Metrodiner

Reviewed November 15, 2013

We have stayed here for the past week and have been delighted with our choice, and found it excellent value for money. It is a small hotel with friendly personal service. The quality of the food in the restaurant is very good and there is a varied choice for vegetarians. I mustn't forget to mention the beds. They are very comfortable, and properly sprung. All the rooms face the front with a sea view - you pay a little more for a balcony. The terrace has superb views over Funchal and we enjoyed tea and coffee there on several afternoons watching the cruise ships come and go as they do on a daily basis..

Although we usually use buses and enjoy jostling with the locals on holiday, having arrived at the hotel, we decided to hire a car. We like the quiet location, but walking up and down those steep hills is quite hard on the knees, and exhausting on the way back, although. I did enjoy the walk up to Monte on a few occasions.

We wanted to try different levada walk each day, so it was far more convenient and efficient timewise to have a car rather than numerous taxi or bus rides to the remote locations. All the buses go from the centre of Funchal so, if you are using public transport you have to get down there first before going anywhere else.

I enjoyed the beautifully cooked fried eggs in the mornings - the yolks were so orange they must be free range. The Madeiran 'poncha' freshly made and served in a cocktail glass as an aperitif before dinner. Relaxing public areas and the well kept boutique style. The location away from the busy hotel strip, in the older residential part of Funchal with a mix of old and modern villas and gardens.

Room Tip: We stayed in 001 and found it very comfortable.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

I spent 2 nights with my DH at this amazing hotel. The view is unbelievable , the rooms are ok, the service is excellent . Breakfast is very good. The spa area is very beautiful and taken care.The restaurant food is very good. I recommend to everyone. I loved it :) !!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Lovely hotel set up on the hill with fabulous views over Funchal. The hotel is everything it promises to be...excellent friendly staff, great restaurant, contemporary design and incredibly relaxing. The location outside Funchal makes for a very calm setting away from the bustle of the Town. The hotel courtesy bus was very reliable and taxis were plentiful - the walk back up the hill would only be for the most athletic! Our room was well furnished and immaculately clean. We particularly enjoyed a full afternoon tea on the terrace overlooking Funchal. The sun deck and pool area were very comfortable and well attended by the staff checking for drinks orders. Overall, we felt very spoiled staying there! Can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alastair F
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed in a Premier room with a balcony overlooking the pool, very classy rooms, only downside there are no tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms. The hotel is very modern and with only 24 rooms is ideal for a quiet stay. We had 5 out of 10 sunny days, the hotel is quite high up and if it gets cloudy in the mountains you tend to loose the sun, best to go down into the town and stay at the lido for the day or alternatively make us of the fabulous spa at the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed in the end of september. Hotel is nice, staff very helpful, view of Funchal amazing!
However, keep in mind its a small hotel and it has not all the aspects of a five star hotel.
The restaurant is very good, definitely try it, prices are not more than you would pay in Funchal.
rooms may seem a little dated, but veer clean and well kept.

I only have one little thing i was not happy with and if anybody from the management is reading this please notice: i stayed in room 107, and every morning at about 6am there was a car stopping under our window, supplies I would guess, which woke us up because of the diesel engine noise and loud radio . I would be nice if you instructed the driver not to play radio and turn of the engine while unloading the car.

other than that it was a nice stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel P
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I recommend this hotel highly for being away from the Funchal hotel quarter, superb hillside views, smallish hotel but with plenty of communal areas and facilities. The staff are amongst the best we've come across. The food is excellent, they do a half board meal deal

Ideal for a quiet relaxing or romantic holiday

• Stayed: September 2013