“Perfect ambience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of O Calhau

O Calhau
Reserve with
O Calhau is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #55 of 600 Restaurants in Funchal
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We're specialized in serving good caffe (Nespresso! What else?), Lunch and dinner, late dinner, breakfast and snacks, tapas and sandwiches. Also with street tables with view to the Cathedral tower in historic center of Funchal, we're your best spot for any occasion during your visit to town.
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
“Perfect ambience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Just found this restaurant by chance and it looked so inviting from the outside we thought we would take a chance and have lunch there. We had sardines on bruschetta (freshly cooked) and steak sandwich, apple pie (like tart tatin) and capuchino all excellent. We sat inside on very comfortable sofas. Service was very pleasant. We will definitely go back.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Kathleen R
O Calhau F, Community Manager at O Calhau, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you for sharing your good experience!

• Czech first
  • Polish first
Malvern, England, United Kingdom
“Awesome coffee and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

A great coffee, wifi and service experience in the heart of Funchal. Highly recommend it. Tiramisu coffee a must.
Will and James

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Will T
Thank you, Will and James, for your review.
Paris, France
“Great Food, Fantástic and Unique Place and excellent Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is The best place we have been the last years. best place in Madeira. I went with my wife 5 times in the week we was in Madeira. service with a smile! great food and a great place. All The best for Calhau Team

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review, from all the team!
helsinki
“The only thing they could say I am sorry and I can only say don't be sorry improve yourself”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

My wife and I had dinner here and wanted to have an enjoyable evening.
The appetizer was great as was the wine my main course was an entrecote which was good, but my wife's tuna was overcooked and as such very dry. The restaurant was packed and under staffed so my wife ate the tuna after we complained. I even spoke to the chef and he was sorry nut no action taken.
A pity spoiling a nice restaurant
with bad cooking.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sorry for the late reply but only recently we've been managing the TripAdvisor account as Owners. We take in due consideration your note regarding the overcooked tuna. Allow us to say that local people do not appreciate at all rare or medium tuna, but only well done. Your review call us the attention and we will take it into due consideration, we shall ask customers, especially foreigners, how they want it so that it meets the customer's requirement. Thank you for letting us know that the rest of the meal and wine were of your satisfaction. We improve when we receive feedback. Thank you!
Calgary, Canada
“The O Clahau staff makes you feel home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

Last November 2013 I had the fortune to visit Madeira. I was sick and tired and on the top of that I needed to send some emails to my people back home, to tell them where I was. I was in a boulevar trying to get free WI-FI, but the conextion was really bad. While struggling I was aproached by a very nice and gentle guy; his name was Anselmo, who invited me to his cafeshop where they offer a great environment and complementary WI-FI. I wen there the place is very nice, the staff is very friendly and so welcoming. I relaxed there, and sent emails to family and friends and the same time I enjoy a delicious food and quite refrshing local beers. I hightly recommed this place to any one, who wants a warm and welcoming cafe...

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sorry for late reply, but we want to thank you for your nice words. We hope you'll come back! Thanks!