Quinta Jardins do Lago
  • Breakfast included
$155
$133
  • Pool
Hotel The Cliff Bay(Funchal)
$261
  • Restaurant
$234
$112
  • Restaurant
Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa(Funchal)
$148
$128
Melia.com
$196
$139
$444
1,461 results
All reviewsgalapagos tortoisepremier suiteresident tortoisebeautiful botanical gardenscourtesy busbeautiful hotelpool areacourse menufive courseshalf boardsub tropical gardenscountry housea la carte menuextensive gardenssteep walksmall hotelspecial hotel
Reviewed July 17, 2013

If you like top quality, intimate and classy without the pretentious trappings, this is for you, the pool area deserves a mention as unlike most hotels in Funchal this is a garden and not a slab of concrete, beautiful surroundings, and very laid back. The hotel restaurant is top notch and the food round the pool area very good, cocktails and drinks are well priced and a lovely lounge area with comfy sofas and chairs not really the place for young children but if you are a certain age and appreciate the finer things in life, you will enjoy this hotel. Although about 1.5 k from the town centre there is a shuttle bus 4 times a day but it is all downhill and quite an adventure to walk, we always took a taxi back about 6 € . Housekeeping needs to be mentioned as the hotel is gleaming every area was spotless. Can't wait to return and would not consider anywhere else to stay in Funchal.

Room Tip: We were in 215 had a nice outlook over the garden
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elaine W
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is a superb old style hotel with very comfortable ambiance throughout.We had a wonderful room on the top (3rd) floor with magnificent views of the gardens and Funchal. The rooms, gardens, pool and staff were all outstanding. My wife (67)and I (70) walked into Funchal most evenings and whilst if is a steep walk back - we managed it every time.

Room Tip: 311 is a corner room on top floor so the balcony extend round the corner to give additional views.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I think this was the most relaxing hotel I've ever stayed in. Old-fashioned in "step back in time" sort of way, but so impeccably kept, far from being run down, it was pristine. All polished wood and marble surroundings, the decor was splendid. Everything was top notch, the cleanliness, the ambiance, the staff were so friendly and attentive too. It was very quiet and although children are allowed there, there was none around whilst we were there. Outside the gardens were vast and amazing, every type of tropical tree and plant. The swimming pool area was so well set out, with its own toilets and shower area, completely tiled and spotlessly clean. We were only bed and breakfast, but there was every food you could want with eggs cooked to order anyway you wished. I would have to look hard to criticise, but I do like a soft bed and they were a little firm for me!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone with high standards who wanted to get away from hustle and bustle. Amazing!!

Room Tip: They all looked over the gardens but some had bigger balconies.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank UKloverEastYorkshire
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We were so lucky to have found this hotel. It was total perfection. From the minute we arrived we were treated like royalty.
Such a beautiful tranquil place.
If you want a very quiet relaxed holiday, then this is the place for you. Our room was large bad very comfortable. Beautiful bathroom. The maids came in everyday and kept our room spotless.
The grounds of the hotel were beautiful. There is a large tortoise who is 54 years old and is very well cared for.
The pool is gorgeous. Lots of room for all guests. Lots of sun loungers for everyone.
At the pool there is a bar that serves drinks and light meals. So you don't have to move from the pool if you want to relax there all day. The food at the pool was amazing. We had fillet steak a couple of times which was to die for. There is a lounge bar too that you can get light meals from too if you don't want to go into the main restaurant. We did go in there and again the food was beautiful.

The staff were fabulous. Nothing was a problem. They were always smiley happy and very helpful. The owner should be very proud of his staff.

I don't know how I can praise this hotel anymore than to say, if I win the lottery I'm going to buy it!!!!
Thank you to everyone for making our stay so magical.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Keak123
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I was lucky enough to stay here for 2 weeks B&B. This hotel deserves the top spot. The staff are amazing, grounds superb and the swimming pool area is the perfect place to relax.
I ordered a decaf coffee the first morning for breakfast and for the rest of the fortnight I was asked if I would like one each morning - fantastic service!
The highlight has to be feeding Columbo the tortoise!

If I had to find fault it would be that the restaurant is a tad pricey - lunch around 40 euros and dinner was around 110 without dessert but with a decent bottle of wine. We had lunch a number of times as it was good and it saved moving. We would have had dinner more often if the price had been closer to those in town.
Additionally the courtesy bus only runs Monday to Friday, it would be useful if it ran on Saturday and Sunday too. I would not hesitate to return to this hotel and indeed hope to do so once the works have been finished at the sea front.

With regards to location we walked into town each day, often for lunch and then later for dinner. It would take about 20 minutes to get to the town or 30 to get to the old town. We would get the courtesy bus back after lunch and a taxi after dinner (< 6 euros from town, < 8 from old town)

Room Tip: We had room 214 which had foliage along the balcony making it very private (this is the same for 215, 216 and 314 to 316
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple