A truly wonderful Hotel in marvellous grounds. And so quiet.
We felt Madeira’s attractions were limited and Funchal is certainly suffering from the new work on the harbour front, essential to prevent a repeat of the 2010 flooding, but it will be fine when it’s done, in about 16 months time we were told. We hadn’t realised that there are very few beaches in Madeira - mainly mountainous scenery.
Although the hotel is a pretty nasty walk from the centre of Funchal, not just because of the slope but the lack of pavement in places and some terrible driving. But this shouldn’t prevent you going into Funchal for some good restaurants, the wonderful cable car and a wander through the Old Town. You just have to factor in 11 or 12 euros for 2 taxi trips, (can be less than 5 each trip but more in the evenings and weekends) unless you’re lucky enough/well organised enough to catch the Hotel minibus. However this Hotel’s location is still so much nicer than the alternative hotel locations on the seafront where the high rise hotels and apartments dominate the landscape, and are still a significant walk from Funchal.
We were lucky with the weather, good sunshine and temperatures in the high twenties, although not always like this.
But we will come back again, to this hotel, despite our slightly negative comments on Madeira itself. And we'll work our way through the library of well over 500 English language books. Plus a table tennis table. Plus a pool table. Plus games and jig-saw puzzles.
Staff were unfailingly helpful and courteous and on a couple of occasions went the extra mile when they had to.
Oh and don't miss a 4X4 ride with UpMountain Madeira. You'll miss the heavy tourist spots and have a wonderful day out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Large Botanical Garden with more them 500 different spices of plants and a variety of pleasant and relaxing areas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Hotel.de, HotelQuickly and Priceline so you can book your Quinta Jardins do Lago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quinta Jardins Do Lago Hotel Funchal
- Quinta Jardins Do Lago Funchal
- Jardins Lago
- Quinta Jardins Do Lago Madeira/Funchal