1,614 results
All reviews galapagos tortoise premier suite resident tortoise pink room beautiful botanical gardens beautiful hotel courtesy bus pool area course menu five courses half board sub tropical gardens country house a la carte menu extensive gardens small hotel steep walk
Reviewed January 27, 2013

As my husband was unable to get away for a break I had to decide on a hotel I'd be happy in on my own and we remembered a previous enjoyable stay at this hotel. I received a warm welcome and immediately felt at ease, and was delighted to find that the standards of this charming and little-known gem were as high as before. The rooms are large and beautifully furnished, and the restaurant is outstanding both in quality and choice. The gardens are delightful (and I was pleased to see that Colombo, the giant tortoise, is still in residence). Without exception the staff are attentive and friendly and, although set back from the front, I found walking down to the seafront (15 mins.) very pleasant and took advantage of the excellent courtesy bus to avoid the steep walk back! We/I will definitely be returning.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
7  Thank Howard30
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We loved this hotel as soon as we walked into our room with a view from the balcony of the tropical gardens and the sea in the distance. The staff were all very charming and kind during our weeks visit . The pool area was beautiful with a large interestingly shaped swimming area and you can have tasty lunch and snacks until 6pm right at the pool side . Loads of lovely thick swimming towels and towelling dressing gowns in the room We walked into town down quite steep roads but then Madeira is all rugged hillsides ! we took taxis back each time as a treat .
This hotel is a lovely spot and we can definately recommend this hotel and gardens .

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5  Thank helen s
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I would highly recommend this hotel. The gardens are spectacular, the pool area is lovely, the breakfast is delicious, the staff are wonderful, the hotel is very clean, all the rooms face south over the bay and the giant tortoise is very cute! The place is a real find. Not exactly cheap but worth the money. You can get down to the centre of the town by way of a steep 15 minute walk but the hotel also provides a courtesy bus service during the day, and a taxi down in the evening should only cost €5-6.
The staff are very helpful and started the breakfast service early on our last day so that we could have breakfast before going to the airport.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
5  Thank Darbhain
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Since we discovered this fine hotel several years ago, we appreciate the kind and comfortable atmosphere although we did not use all facilities which are offered. It is a real anchor in life and we intend to come back as often as possible.

Room tip: Since we travelled many times to the carribbean islands we prefer the junior suites in the country house.
Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5  Thank dpf587
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here in October 2012 and had a fantastic time, despite some poor weather. The hotel was spotless and the staff extremely helpful and polite. I have given the location a v.good rather than excellent, because it may not be to everyone's liking. We like to walk a lot and found the walk up the steep hill a good bit of exercise. It is not for the faint hearted. Have to admit to cheating with taxis a couple of times after a night out! Taxis are generally good and cheap, but one did try to rip us off by taking a circuitous route - fortunately we knew where we were going. The pool area is really nice, the gardens well maintained and the restaurant excellent. You will find better deals for dinner including wine at the top rated restaurants in Funchal, but the food and wine served at the hotel were top drawer. I would say the guests were mostly more mature, 40s upwards (including us), and it was a really peaceful place to stay.

Date of stay: October 2012