“Very nice hotel. Little out of the way.”

Quinta Jardins do Lago
Ranked #1 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed December 13, 2012

My son and his girlfriend stayed here in November. The room was classic and well presented. Staff could not be more pleasant and helpfull. Lovely gardens and stunning view. This is a class hotel for the discerning traveller but a little away from the town and the action. We had a car but took a taxi most nights into town. This cost around 18 Euros return. If you want a smaller hotel and a little peace and quiet away from the crowd this is the place to be.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the garden view and balcony
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank AMEESBerlin
Write a ReviewReviews (1,381)

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Very happy with our choice of hotel and superior room. The breakfasts were excellent and most of the 5 dinners we ate there were delicious. The hotel and gardens are really beautiful, and the atmosphere is traditional but relaxed. All the staff were excellent.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lucy186273
Reviewed December 7, 2012

we recently spent a week in november 2012 at this hotel having seen the reviews on trip advisor. We had booked a superior room B&B but were upgraded to a junior suite on arrival which was an enormous room with palatial bathroom with a balcony overlooking the garden/sea.
It was in the original house and one definitely felt as if one was staying in a country house hotel with a beautiful library, entrance hall and furniture etc. It was also very quiet, the only thing about the room was that if you left your evening bath/shower too late there was not an over abundance of hot water to be enjoyed ! The gardens are absolutely fabulous as was the pool area, food at the pool was very good as was the food in the restaurant, we eat in 4 times and always had very good meals. The breakfasts are to die for, worth staying here for these alone and of course you can eat breakfast outside in the gardens too. Service was always very friendly and attentive. If you are reasonably fit you can walk into the centre and back which we did for dinner 3 times also using 3 recommendations from TA. Armazem do Sal was the best followed by Mozart who had a very entertaining and customer focussed Maitre'D. This was not the case at the Fort where the Maitre'D was not interested and the 'concept' idea of a meal receded in attractiveness. We hired a car for a week and saw the whole island and the hotel location makes it easy to access the dual carriageways. Really nice hotel, we thoroughly recommend it.

3  Thank PatrickW671
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Booked this hotel due to its rating on tripadvisor. Have to say we were quite disappointed. While there are some fabulous aspects to the hotel, unfortunately they did not compensate for the negative experience. To be fair, the gardens, pool area and cleanliness of the hotel are excellent. Also some staff are very friendly and in this regard, I highlight the lady at reception and the household staff who were exceptionally helpful.

We booked a superior room in order that we would have a view of the sea. I don't exaggerate when I say that there was a tiny triangle of water visible through the trees. When this was pointed out to the manager on the day we were leaving, his comment was we don't have sea views on the second floor then why do they they advertise and charge extra for them and why have other reviewers commented on the fabulous sea views? We had originally booked an anniversary package but cancelled it in favour of making sure we had a superior room with a sea view so this was very disappointing. The hotel did give us a complimentary bottle of champagne on arrival but apart from this no other reference was made to this special occasion. Again in comparison to other reviewers experience, this was disappointing.

As noted by other reviewers, the Internet access was frustrating, dropping frequently. In the end, I gave up. The shower is over the bath and on the first day there was an overwhelming smell off the shower curtain. This appeared to be replaced but again this was disappointing given the hotel rating. Please note the only shower is over the bath and given the age profile of the guests this must make access to the shower difficult. The shower head was small and more reminiscent of the 1980's. Also there was no hair conditioner available, a small point but annoying for such a highly rated hotel. Most irritating of all was frequently been woken every night by the hum of a motor for approximately 10 minutes every hour. I don't recommend room 212 for all these reasons.

The breakfast choice was excellent and the range of fresh fruit and bread some of the best we have had. However, it seemed quite difficult to have eggs boiled as requested. One morning a request for a medium boiled egg required three attempts. Hardly impressive especially as it wasn't particularly busy. We ate in the restaurant on the last night. It was by far one of the poorest meals we had on our holiday. Overlooked meat, cold food and poor service. The food in the pool area was good if pricey.

Overall I think the hotel has become complacent with its five star rating. It is in a beautiful setting but that's not enough to compensate for the issues highlighted above.

• Stayed: November 2012
13  Thank drimbane
Reviewed November 28, 2012

The Quinta is situated in a quiet area high above Funchal and surrounded by a beautiful garden stocked with a wide selection of plant species from around the world. The hotel itself is a clever blend of old and modern. Our room was in the newer part of the hotel and whilst only a standard room was spacious and well fitted out. The twin beds were very comfortable. The balcony was large enough to have a table and two chairs with room to move about as well. Breakfast is taken in the "pink" room. There is a good selection of food available on the buffet and eggs of your choice can be ordered. Lunch is provided at the pool in the form of light meals and sandwiches. The swimming pool itself is large and free form in shape. It even has an island and is partly convered.The towels provided are of very good quality and dry you off well. There is also a small childrens pool (although I would say that this is not really a hotel for children). Dinner is served in the main restaurant (called the Beresford) and is of a reasonable standard, but those on a longer stay may find the choice limited as the menu is not changed. The bar is well stocked and is located in the lounge with comfortable settees and tables.

The hotel is kept spotlessly clean and all the staff are cheerful, helpful and friendly, in this I include Colombo the resident giant tortoise. It was lovely to stroll arround the gardens looking at the plants and seeing the swans on the lake.

The staff on reception were especially helpful to us recommending a brilliant restaurant in the town and arranging taxis.

One point to be aware of is that our room had a shower in the bath and given the ages of many of the guests a walk in shower would be more appropriate.

We had a lot of rain during our two weeks it would have been even better in the sun!

3  Thank a_johnson12
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed here in November with my girlfriend in a sea view double room. The room was spacious and clean with a small balcony with a beautiful view of both ocean and the city of Funchal. One of the nicest hotel rooms I have stayed in but with some definite niggles - the shower was luke warm at best, the free internet was so intermittent that I gave up, the hairdryer was seriously underpowered and the balcony was not slanted away from the room so any time there was any rain it was awash for hours afterwards.

I travel a lot in my job and stay in a lot of hotels and the issues above would normally cause me to complain and give a low rating but I just can´t on this occasion. The gardens are utterly beautiful and relaxing as mentioned by others and the staff are the friendliest I have ever come across - and this was universally true, not one or two nice staff but all of them from reception to bar staff to the maids to the restaurant. Nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast was superb both in variety and quality of food and we found that we skipped lunch every day as we were still full. The whole atmosphere and charm of this hotel made me forget its imperfections - it is so relaxing and I came away thoroughly refreshed.

I should add that it is very definitely a hotel for couples and people over 30 - I don´t know whether it sets out to be this but it is some way out of town and there is very little for children to do aside from swim and play pool but for a 40-something couple looking to unwind for a few days like us it was just perfect. I would have no hesitation recommending the hotel to anyone looking for a quiet relaxing break in beautiful surroundings.

Room Tip: Go for the sea view - it is definitely worth it and make sure you have breakfast here. As a final po...
2  Thank Chris P
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We first stayed at this gorgeous hotel in September 2005, can't think why it took so long for us to return. If you like a small tranquil hotel in beautiful botanical gardens with superb food and and excellent hospitality then come here.

I booked the hotel independently, we stayed for 9 days at the beginning of November, my husband and I and another couple. The hotel is situated slightly above and on the outskirts of Funchal. I booked superior rooms, top floor if possible in the new part of the building so that we could have the views to the sea. Sure enough, we had 2 rooms in a perfect spot with fabulous views looking over the lovely gardens to the sea which looked so close, and to our left, views over Funchal - so pretty at night. I think it's safe to say that all rooms here would have a lovely outlook. The rooms are very spacious with beautiful wooden floors, well furnished, good sized balconies, very comfortable beds (we had mattress toppers) and soft pillows. The bathroom was large with nice toiletries, robes and slippers. Also a tube type hairdryer which I remembered from our previous visit - I don't get on with them too well so I took my own and luckily there was a socket below a mirror. They may well have ordinary hairdryers too, as I had my own I didn't ask. Aircon worked well.

Breakfasts were excellent catering for all tastes, even smoked salmon. Jugfuls of freshly squeezed orange juice were a nice surprise, plus lots of other juices. Eggs cooked however you liked them with bacon etc., meats, cheese, fruit, cakes, lovely breads, I could go on. When the sun was out in the morning the breakfast room was almost deserted - everyone out on the sunny terrace or just below in the garden, a lovely way to start the day.

In the evening, happy hour was popular from 7pm to 8pm with 25% off all drinks, including cocktails (I'm ashamed to say we were usually the first down) and then it was tempting to just drift into the cozy dining room rather than take a taxi into town for dinner. Taxis about 8 euros each way, sometimes less. The dining room was always fairly full, so there was a nice atmosphere in the evening. The meals were delicious, nicely presented and the portions generous. Most of the time we could only manage 2 courses whether it was from the a la carte menu or the table d'hote. The table d'hote menu was different each day (a copy was displayed in the foyer) and was 38 euros for all 5 courses, or you could choose less and the price would be adjusted accordingly. Service was swift and very efficient and all the waiting staff friendly.

I particularly love the gardens and pool here (not to mention Columbo who is like a little celebrity). There are lots of little pathways leading perhaps to a secluded seat, fountain or lake with swans, and some wonderful trees and shrubs. The pool is beautiful, one of my favourite hotel pools, such a lovely shape, partly covered and very large considering there are only about 40 guest rooms. There were always enough loungers (no one bags them here) and also an area for lunch, drinks or afternoon tea. The pool is heated all the year round. When we were there it was heated to 25C, felt a little cool when getting in but after less than half a minute it felt nice and warm, particularly one day when it was quite cloudy and windy and then it felt much warmer in the water than out! Apparently the pool is heated a little more during the colder months in winter which I think is worth knowing if you like a swim. There is also a jacuzzi near the pool, gym, games room, tennis court, etc, also a small pool tucked round the corner from the main pool for little children. There were a couple of toddlers when we were there but I don't really think the hotel is suitable for children any older than this as most guests here like the peace and tranquility - sorry! However, I know children are catered for.

The free shuttle service into town and back is useful, but you need to book it an hour before. There are 4 a day, the last one down being late afternoon. It's quite possible to walk to town of course, there is a direct route on quiet roads and it doesn't take long, less than half an hour, (not to the old town which is further) but there is a long stretch which is steep. We walked both ways - just the once!

I was a bit concerned about the weather in November and certainly the first 3 days were dodgy with some torrential rain and thunder, floods in the north of the island and some roads closed, but it soon changed and felt very warm when the sun was out. Most of our meals were taken at the hotel, but one evening we ate in the old town and it was warm enough to sit outside and the food was very reasonably priced.

When we arrived at the airport, the hotel sent a driver to pick us up - Mr Esmeraldo Caldeira. The transfer time is roughly 20 mins and the charge was 35 euros each way. He also does trips and he took us on 2 - the eastern end of Madeira and Nuns' Valley. He is a mine of information and has a nice comfortable vehicle. The drives were spectacular with stunning and dramatic scenery. We usually hire a car but it's not much fun for the driver when there is so much to see. A day trip, which could be 4 - 6 hours, is 120 euros and half a day 60 euros which we thought was reasonable.

Guests here are all ages and nationalities and we met several who return every year to this hotel.

Finally, all the staff here are lovely, always so helpful and charming, and we are really looking forward to returning next year.

8  Thank AnnePenrhos