“A flawed gem”

Quinta Jardins do Lago
Ranked #1 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed here in November with my girlfriend in a sea view double room. The room was spacious and clean with a small balcony with a beautiful view of both ocean and the city of Funchal. One of the nicest hotel rooms I have stayed in but with some definite niggles - the shower was luke warm at best, the free internet was so intermittent that I gave up, the hairdryer was seriously underpowered and the balcony was not slanted away from the room so any time there was any rain it was awash for hours afterwards.

I travel a lot in my job and stay in a lot of hotels and the issues above would normally cause me to complain and give a low rating but I just can´t on this occasion. The gardens are utterly beautiful and relaxing as mentioned by others and the staff are the friendliest I have ever come across - and this was universally true, not one or two nice staff but all of them from reception to bar staff to the maids to the restaurant. Nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast was superb both in variety and quality of food and we found that we skipped lunch every day as we were still full. The whole atmosphere and charm of this hotel made me forget its imperfections - it is so relaxing and I came away thoroughly refreshed.

I should add that it is very definitely a hotel for couples and people over 30 - I don´t know whether it sets out to be this but it is some way out of town and there is very little for children to do aside from swim and play pool but for a 40-something couple looking to unwind for a few days like us it was just perfect. I would have no hesitation recommending the hotel to anyone looking for a quiet relaxing break in beautiful surroundings.

Room Tip: Go for the sea view - it is definitely worth it and make sure you have breakfast here. As a final po...
2  Thank Chris P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,355)

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We first stayed at this gorgeous hotel in September 2005, can't think why it took so long for us to return. If you like a small tranquil hotel in beautiful botanical gardens with superb food and and excellent hospitality then come here.

I booked the hotel independently, we stayed for 9 days at the beginning of November, my husband and I and another couple. The hotel is situated slightly above and on the outskirts of Funchal. I booked superior rooms, top floor if possible in the new part of the building so that we could have the views to the sea. Sure enough, we had 2 rooms in a perfect spot with fabulous views looking over the lovely gardens to the sea which looked so close, and to our left, views over Funchal - so pretty at night. I think it's safe to say that all rooms here would have a lovely outlook. The rooms are very spacious with beautiful wooden floors, well furnished, good sized balconies, very comfortable beds (we had mattress toppers) and soft pillows. The bathroom was large with nice toiletries, robes and slippers. Also a tube type hairdryer which I remembered from our previous visit - I don't get on with them too well so I took my own and luckily there was a socket below a mirror. They may well have ordinary hairdryers too, as I had my own I didn't ask. Aircon worked well.

Breakfasts were excellent catering for all tastes, even smoked salmon. Jugfuls of freshly squeezed orange juice were a nice surprise, plus lots of other juices. Eggs cooked however you liked them with bacon etc., meats, cheese, fruit, cakes, lovely breads, I could go on. When the sun was out in the morning the breakfast room was almost deserted - everyone out on the sunny terrace or just below in the garden, a lovely way to start the day.

In the evening, happy hour was popular from 7pm to 8pm with 25% off all drinks, including cocktails (I'm ashamed to say we were usually the first down) and then it was tempting to just drift into the cozy dining room rather than take a taxi into town for dinner. Taxis about 8 euros each way, sometimes less. The dining room was always fairly full, so there was a nice atmosphere in the evening. The meals were delicious, nicely presented and the portions generous. Most of the time we could only manage 2 courses whether it was from the a la carte menu or the table d'hote. The table d'hote menu was different each day (a copy was displayed in the foyer) and was 38 euros for all 5 courses, or you could choose less and the price would be adjusted accordingly. Service was swift and very efficient and all the waiting staff friendly.

I particularly love the gardens and pool here (not to mention Columbo who is like a little celebrity). There are lots of little pathways leading perhaps to a secluded seat, fountain or lake with swans, and some wonderful trees and shrubs. The pool is beautiful, one of my favourite hotel pools, such a lovely shape, partly covered and very large considering there are only about 40 guest rooms. There were always enough loungers (no one bags them here) and also an area for lunch, drinks or afternoon tea. The pool is heated all the year round. When we were there it was heated to 25C, felt a little cool when getting in but after less than half a minute it felt nice and warm, particularly one day when it was quite cloudy and windy and then it felt much warmer in the water than out! Apparently the pool is heated a little more during the colder months in winter which I think is worth knowing if you like a swim. There is also a jacuzzi near the pool, gym, games room, tennis court, etc, also a small pool tucked round the corner from the main pool for little children. There were a couple of toddlers when we were there but I don't really think the hotel is suitable for children any older than this as most guests here like the peace and tranquility - sorry! However, I know children are catered for.

The free shuttle service into town and back is useful, but you need to book it an hour before. There are 4 a day, the last one down being late afternoon. It's quite possible to walk to town of course, there is a direct route on quiet roads and it doesn't take long, less than half an hour, (not to the old town which is further) but there is a long stretch which is steep. We walked both ways - just the once!

I was a bit concerned about the weather in November and certainly the first 3 days were dodgy with some torrential rain and thunder, floods in the north of the island and some roads closed, but it soon changed and felt very warm when the sun was out. Most of our meals were taken at the hotel, but one evening we ate in the old town and it was warm enough to sit outside and the food was very reasonably priced.

When we arrived at the airport, the hotel sent a driver to pick us up - Mr Esmeraldo Caldeira. The transfer time is roughly 20 mins and the charge was 35 euros each way. He also does trips and he took us on 2 - the eastern end of Madeira and Nuns' Valley. He is a mine of information and has a nice comfortable vehicle. The drives were spectacular with stunning and dramatic scenery. We usually hire a car but it's not much fun for the driver when there is so much to see. A day trip, which could be 4 - 6 hours, is 120 euros and half a day 60 euros which we thought was reasonable.

Guests here are all ages and nationalities and we met several who return every year to this hotel.

Finally, all the staff here are lovely, always so helpful and charming, and we are really looking forward to returning next year.

8  Thank AnnePenrhos
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Hotel had arranged for a taxi was waiting at the airport. With 20 minutes I arrived at the hotel where check in went smoothly and I could name my room I had r # 108, if you are looking for the smallest balcony in the hotel take this room! Furthermore, a neat everything on there to room, and good bathroom. Everything really spick and span clean. And what hard but fine beds. No king or queen, but twin beds, which can for a hotel a bit bigger. But the hotel has some hidden places, a cave very well maintained garden, ideal for a fresh nose. And a medium large pool and jacuzzi. You can get simple meals by the pool, all of excellent quality! In the morning also coffee and cake. Walk to Funcal is not an option but a free bus ride to the city. Funcal a nice city for a morning to spend. But for hikers Madeira is of course an exquisite island. It is beautifully green, so rainwater regularly, and always has a pleasant temperature. The attached restaurant is also nice card, if you stay there long, but you can eat along with the hotel choice menu (hotel menu plan). But I have eaten the day fine, only through the ala carte menu, excellent quality and plenty of fresh products! In the morning, after a good night's sleep, a good breakfast restaurant, inside and on the terrace in fine weather in the garden. All kinds of eggs to make them on request and rest is extended to tackle. Although the hotel was full well you could not notice much. In the lounge there is regular live music, you can go there at night an aperitif or coffee after your dinner use. In short you looking for peace and quiet and a hotel, this is a must. Not so great for older kids there is not much to do but to rest and relax an excellent choice!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank FredvdFlier
Reviewed November 11, 2012

If Tripadvisor had a scale of 0-10 then I would probably award Quinta Jardins do Lago a 9. It is a wonderful hotel in lovely gardens with a relaxed atomosphere. I suspect that, had the weather been better, my perspective would have been more positive, but unfortunately we were unlucky in that respect, and that may have 'clouded' my judgement. Still, I find it difficult to award 'top marks' when there is room for improvement, when it is currently rated the number 1 hotel in Funchal.

The staff on arrival weren't as welcoming as I had expected - our room wasn't ready (we were early) but we were just waved in the direction of the gardens and told to wait, with the implication that someone would come and tell us when it was ready - but this never happened. In other hotels I have been to where this has happened I have been offered a complementary drink and even shown around the facilities. Instead we were left to feel as though we were an inconvenience.

The maid service was generally very efficient, discreet and unobtrusive, but there were occasional inconsistencies in the level of service that was delivered. Hot water was variable, as was the wifi internet connection. The restaurant was overpriced for the standard of food - although we only ate in it a couple of times.

The location is about a mile from the centre of Funchal - and the gradient is certainly a challenge (as noticed by previous reviewers) - but seemed far less so after couple of glasses of Madiera! Also a good way of working of the calories!

So we would certainly recommend this hotel - there are plenty of positives that have been extensively highlighted by previous reviewers: but it is not perfect, and needs to avoid becoming complacent simply because it is so highly rated.

2  Thank Maybeormaybenot
Reviewed November 7, 2012

A friend had recommended the Quinta, having stayed there a few years ago, and a swift check with TripAdvisor soon confirmed that this would be the only hotel we would consider on visiting Funchal.
As indicated above, the hotel was everything we hoped it would be:- full of character; staff who were always courteous and efficient; a sumptuous breakfast that ensured you needn't think about having anything for lunch and a superb restaurant for dinner in the evening.
Even though the weather was disappointing, the purpose of our visit was for rest and relaxation and the hotel met both of these requirements 'in spades'.
When we visit Funchal again there is only one hotel we would even consider and would wholeheartedly recommend this to potential visitors.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor facing the garden and a view across to one side of Funchal.
2  Thank Colin006
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Have just returned from a wonderful few days. Weather was disappointing but could not have asked for more from the hotel. Had booked a superior room and were upgraded to a premier suite which was fantastic, with lovely views. Breakfast buffet more than anyone could want. Restaurant superb - but quite expensive so didn't eat there every night The staff could not have been more helpful but were at the same time very unobtrusive. Courtesy bus into Funchal was very useful - it's quite a steep wask otherwise. We would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: From what we cound see, all rooms had lovely garden views
3  Thank Sue M
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Having a great week in this hotel as a base for some walking and seeing Funchal; booked a "superior room" and got bumped up to a "junior suite". The hotel manages to retain the "Quinta" atmosphere, even though it has been extended; definitely a cut above the new hotel blocks around the rest of the island. Staff are great and food and service good. There are a few flaws though - no real room service, a carpet that needs replacing, and a roof that leaked one night; not modern 5* perfection. We would probably come back if we return to Funchal.

Room Tip: Stay in the older building if you like atmosphere
3  Thank Chris S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Funchal
Hotel The Cliff Bay
Albatroz Beach & Yacht Club
The Residence
The Residence
#6 of 88 in Funchal

Been to Quinta Jardins do Lago? Share your experiences!