We very much enjoyed our week at the Quinta Bela Sao Tiago. The location is perfect in the old town with stunning views over the roof tops to the sea. The character of the hotel and surrounding area is charming, much better than the modern area where most of the hotels are located. The holiday didn't start too well our allocated room (218) overlooked the busy road at the front of the hotel and besides the noise of the traffic and barking dogs, there is a garage almost next door. We had booked a garden veiw room, though no one seemed to believe us. Luckily for us we had our booking form and an email confirming the type of room with us. However it took from 11.30 til 4 in the afternoon to get it sorted. Half a day of our holiday wasted while Thomas Cook attempted to sort it out. As we suspected it was Cook's fault; but by now there were no garden view rooms left! Any way it all turned out well in the end. After spending the first night in the noisy room we were up graded to to a sea view room (219). To be honest if you don't mind noise, room 218 is a lovely room, huge in fact about three times bigger than the the one with the sea view!
The pool area is very nice, as are the gardens, complete with banana plantation showing the hotel's origin. The staff at the hotel are very good, as are most of the Madeiran people and we really enjoyed it there. The breakfast is plentiful and eating it outside on the terrace was a lovely way to start the day.
There are lots of good places to eat close by and we discoverd after attending the welcome meeting at the nearby Hotel Porto Santa Maria that they do fantastic cocktails and between six and seven they are half price! Needless to say we 'forced' our selves to go back there every evening!
Madeira has so much to do and see, to many things to mention here.
We thoroughly enjoyed this holiday and will deffinately go back to Madeira and the Quinta Bela Sao Tiago.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The charming 4-star hotel Quinta Bela São Tiago was originally a traditional Madeiran Manor House built in 1834. The manor house and its extensive gardens have been carefully restored to create a paradise right in the heart of this lovely old district.The Quinta Bela São Tiago offers a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere in a unique location in Madeira! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Quinta Bela Sao Tiago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quinta Bela Sao Tiago Hotel Funchal
- Quinta Bela Sao Tiago Funchal
- Hotel Quinta Bela Sao Tiago Madeira/Funchal