Second time here after 5 years and once again delighted with the place. There are a few little niggles none of which would spoil your stay and balancing the "ups" against the minor "downs", it's a winner. Let's get the little minus points out of the way:
1. If you can't manage hills, this place is perhaps not for you.
2. The remote control lighting system in the rooms is a real 'faff'. Confusing and with no advantage that I see over normal switches.
3. Would like breakfast tea/coffee & toast delivered to the table instead of parading up and down collecting breakfast in instalments.
4. 1.50 euros per day for the safe is a bit of a cheek for a hotel of this type.
5. Bedside rugs are a little slippery on the wooden floors. Surfed a few feet a couple of times!
6. Updated flat screen TVs wouldn't go amiss.
So; on to the "why stay here" items:-
1. The views of the harbour and town are fantastic. The harbour, cruise ships coming and going, the town and the hills beyond. Drinks on the terrace or a quiet sit on your balcony - it's all there in front of you.
2. The staff are friendly and very helpful. Beautifully mannered and courteous without being 'over the top' and obviously looking to boost any possible tips coming their way.
3. It's one of the few hotels near to the old town with it's restaurants and bars whilst retaining a quiet atmoshere. No need for taxis to get into town, it's a stroll. Although coming back is uphill. There's a big hotel just down the hill but beware! Long term sea defence work is right on their doorstep and VERY noisy, starting at 07.30am.
4. Pool area and grounds excellent.
5. Barring tea/coffee issue, breakfast is very good. Fresh and hot. Cannot agree with some of the other reviews that marked it down.
So, that's it. Well worth staying here. My only slight concern would be that the next few years will see the place needing a pretty comprehensive refurbishment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The charming 4-star hotel Quinta Bela São Tiago was originally a traditional Madeiran Manor House built in 1834. The manor house and its extensive gardens have been carefully restored to create a paradise right in the heart of this lovely old district.The Quinta Bela São Tiago offers a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere in a unique location in Madeira! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Hotel Quinta Bela Sao Tiago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quinta Bela Sao Tiago Hotel Funchal
- Quinta Bela Sao Tiago Funchal
- Hotel Quinta Bela Sao Tiago Madeira/Funchal