My family and I have just come back from a week in Funchal, Madeira staying at the Jardin d'ajuda hotel. It is classed as a 4* hotel and although I wouldn't quite rate it so high it is certainly up there with the top end of 3*. It is large and spacious with an indoor and outdoor pool. The weather wasn't always at its best so we didn;t get a chance to use the outdoor pool or sunbeds but it looked clean and well kept. We opted for a family room of 4 and asked for a pool and/or sea view. We actually got both which was quite nice. The room was large enough for 4 people but the sleeping area for my daughters who are both adults was the main room. With a double pull out sofa bed and single camp bed. Both beds were very flimsy and uncomfortable but apart from that there was really no other complaints.
We were there for bed and breakfast. There was a fair choice of food for breakfast but the hot food was luke warm at best and quite cold at worst. Tea and coffee was out of machines and again the water for both was below luke warm so a minus point for that.
The staff are warm and friendly, polite and helpful. Indeed I was celebrating my birhday whilst we were there and we were given a complimentary bottle of champagne on the actual day which was totally unexpected but very welcome.
The hotel had happy hour every day from 6.30 - 7.30 but even without that the prices were still fairly cheap and entertainment each night which we didn't stay in for but would imagine would be great for people who didn't fancy going out at night.
The area we stayed in is known as the hotel district because of the sheer number of hotels in the same area and although there is an abundance of restaurants and bars within shouting distance. Funchal town centre is about 3.5 miles away. So about an hours stroll if you felt that way inclined or a couple of euros one way on the bus. Taxis's are fairly cheap and if there are 4 of you works out cheaper than the bus at about 7 euros. The town is buzzing during the day but surprisingly at night it is fairly quiet. Dont know if that is down to the time of year, but we ventured into the town at night on two occasions and it was like a ghost town. There are also a number of bars and restaurants along the sea front and a fair number in the old town of funchal but here they tend to be a bit agressive in trying to get you into their restaurant to eat.
The main must see and do for madeira is the, Levada Walks, cable cars, the toboggans and tea at the Reids Palace hotel. We did one of the four things which is the cable car ride. the toboggan ride which was only a 2 km ride would have been 60 euro's for the 4 of us and afternoon tea at Reids was 33 euros each which ultimately was for a few sandwiches and a cup of tea. You also had to be suitably dressed to get in so a nice to rather than a must do.
It is worth hiring a car though to take you around the island but you only really need it for about 3 days as it is such a small island you end up passing through the same places over again. They do do a number of tours around the island though but again for a family of 4 it is cheaper to hire a car and do it yourself.
Madeira is a lovely island and well worth a visit, I would say though it is more for adults than families with children as there aren't really any beaches to speak of, the weather is intermittent (windy, rainy, sunny) and there is a lot of walking and sight seeing,
We had a great week and would certainly recommend the Jardin D;ajuda hotel for your stay
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel is situated 3 km from the centre of Funchal, on the island of Madeira. Our island is beautiful and, because we want to give you a perfect welcome, we have thought of all the details. Located in the best tourist area, the Suite Hotel Jardins d'Ajuda is very close to the sea, has beach access, as well as access to other amenities, namely restaurants, bars, 50m from the shopping centre (Madeira Forum), supermarkets, public transport services and a private car park. It is a privileged location that unites the comfort and quality of our hotel with all the possibilities of the surrounding areas, to make your stay memorable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Cancelon, TravelUp, Otel, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Jardins d’Ajuda Suite Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jardins d Ajuda Suite Funchal
- The Jardins d’Ajuda Suite Hotel Madeira/Funchal