We have just returned from either our fifth or sixth visit to the Porto Mare, and our second time in the Residence. There is no point in repeating what people say - it's all true. This time we had a room over the street and were initially disappointed, but as the day wore on and the sun came round we realised it was a fantastic view over the sea with some great sunsets. So we had a really nice two week stay. The apartments are great, really spacious for two. We didn't do anything special, just went out every day, walking either into Funchal or the other way towards Camara de Lobos.
Incidentally if you are walking that way the tunnel is closed and the path has disappeared either side of the yacht club bar. It's best to walk along the Monumental on the left hand pavement. When you get to the big traffic island with what looks like a statue of an angel on, the Regency Palace Hotel in on your left. Just past it is a sign pointing left down a path to Praia Formosa. After many steps down you arrive at the bottom and it's left to the yacht bar, or right then first left to continue the walk along the seafront.
We did a couple of DIY levada walks using buses or Daniel's taxi service as a drop off and pick up. We were also there for the carnival which is brilliant.
All in all we love this place - the hotel, the staff, the Madeiran people, the scenery, the weather, and we'll be back next year, and the year after..........
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Occupying the west wing of the Vila Porto Mare resort, The Residence enjoys the use of all its facilities and a real sense of community. A wide selection of carefully furnished and fully equipped apartments where comfort is our motto. The 99 units divided into studios, one and two bedroom apartments are decorated with a touch of exoticism. The Residence apartments combine views over the ocean with tropical gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Expedia, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your The Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Mare Residence Funchal
- Porto Mare Residence Hotel Funchal
- The Residence Madeira/Funchal