This was our second visit to The Residence & it was absolutely fantastic. This time we had a wonderful upgraded apartment, again with private gardens for sunbathing although the place is designed so well that even if we hadn't we would not have felt crowded as there are so many pools & sunbathing spots when it's out of school holidays. The complex itself is absolutely gorgeous, designed to offer space and tranquility amongst flowers & lush gardens.
There is a good selection of restaurants available. We very much enjoyed enjoyed Il Basilico and we also chose to eat in town at Forte & Mozarts or the nearby Tricolore pizzeria.
The bars are lovely & most evenings a charming pair, Duo Harmonica, sing in the bar and guests get up and dance which was a real treat. One evening we saw the fantastic Black Dogs blues band who were absolutely wonderful and not to be missed.
The apartment itself was spacious and equipped with everything one might need with a fully equipped kitchen, bathrooms with power showers, huge beds and both inside and outside dining options. It was absolutely spotless and cleaned every day with toiletries all topped up on a daily basis and fresh bottled drinking water provided.The views out to sea are lovely and the whole complex is designed so that you never feel too crowded with lots of little areas to hide away in.
It really is a beautiful hotel on a beautiful island. If it's a cloudy day try walking down to town to check out the pavement cafes with skilled musicians outside, the painted doors in the atmospsheric old town & the beautiful architecture and numerous parks. We can highly recommend the jeep tours booked via the owners. Ours ended up being a private tour as we went on a quiet day & it really was an incredible way to see this enchanting island, some of it taking a coastal route & some of it off road along dirt tracks up into the mountains, with scenery changing from one astonishing sight to another as we explored the tropical terrain that manages to be both rugged and lush at the same time.The only thing we would not recommend is the casino - it's really just a room full of slot machines, but other than that we were charmed & delighted at every turn - and we're only 33 so it's not just for the oldies!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Occupying the west wing of the Vila Porto Mare resort, The Residence enjoys the use of all its facilities and a real sense of community. A wide selection of carefully furnished and fully equipped apartments where comfort is our motto. The 99 units divided into studios, one and two bedroom apartments are decorated with a touch of exoticism. The Residence apartments combine views over the ocean with tropical gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Expedia, Hotwire, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your The Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Mare Residence Funchal
- Porto Mare Residence Hotel Funchal
- The Residence Madeira/Funchal