“Yearly visit to Funchal”
Review of Lti Pestana Grand

Lti Pestana Grand
Ranked #15 of 86 Hotels in Funchal
Dunbar
“Yearly visit to Funchal”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just back from a week at Pestana Grand. Stunning sea views - courtesy bus - very friendly staff- spacious studio apartment and well furnished- pools a bit cold!!!! but o k after you take the plunge. Unfortunately Funchal itself is still undergoing major alterations at sea front which does spoil the place a bit. All in all still a very relaxing and beautiful place to go to.

Room Tip: Front and side sea views are excellent.
3 Thank Margaret Shiela K
FrontOfficeGrand, Front Office Manager at Lti Pestana Grand, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Guest,
Many Thanks for having selected the lti Pestana Grand for you holidays in Madeira.
Your positive feedback is most kind, on behalf of all our staff, I thank you for your contribution.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

With kind regards
Maria Da Paz Garcia
Complex Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Kristiansand, Norge
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I booked at payed for this hotel, but when we arrived we were told it was full and we had to move. We got a free taxi to the other hotel and that's it. So now I have the feelig og buying a business ticket and getting "upgraded" to economy. Watch out when ordering this hotel! I think it is best to contact them before arriving so you are sure to stay at that beautiful hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank arisdal
Dear Guest,
First of all we would like to apologize for all the incovenience that this situation has caused you.
Due to an unexpected situation at our hotel, we have requested and justified the reason why we were asking your cooperation to change your reservation to another five star Hotel. Unfortunatly we have tried to inform your tour Operator before your arrival, but without sucess.

We regret to have disapointed you. You have chosen our hotel but you haven´t had the opportunity of staying with us. Once again please accept our most sincere apologies.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcome you in a near the future at our Hotel and i would be very pleased to assist you personally with your booking.

Your sincerely
West Midlands
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Just had a week at the Pestana Grand, and it was so relaxing. Staff were lovely, breakfast buffet was excellent .Views from pool area beautiful,overlooking the sea.Free shuttle bus into Funchal from Hotel every half hour. Choose this one if you just need to chill out.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of hotel are facing block of flats with washing over balconies etc.
1 Thank Tynewydd_10
FrontOfficeGrand, Front Office Manager at Lti Pestana Grand, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for staying it us!
We are more than happy to know that you have had a relaxing stay and that our staff and services provided were up to your expectations.
We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back in a not distant future.
With best wishes and kind regards.

Surrey
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stay here July last year as I was given the chance by a colleague at work to stay in their time share apartment.. I made my own way to the hotel and found out after that if you book a cab via the hotel you get a discount on your fare. Just a little note to remember!

First impressions;
The hotel was immaculate and the staff were ready and always happy to assist..

The apartment was clean and very spacious with everything you need..A large comfy bed with en suite shower room, kitchen area with dining table.. Master bathroom with plenty of hot water thorough out and any time. Comfy lounge with large TV. Even sun loungers on the balcony.

There were no beaches I found near the hotel, but to be honest I never really looked as I was very happy by the pool with a book. The pool bar was very friendly and it didn't take long to meet people who made my holiday a happy one..

I would say that if you're going to stay here, book the Italian restaurant for at least one night as I am going back this year with that one on my agenda!!

All in all I would recommend to any one as a single, couples or family relaxing hotel. I say relaxing as this is a quiet hotel and not for you if you want to go to the clubs and discos or expect family entertainment in the evenings.. What you get is piano singer or local culture dances/performances..

I'm looking forward to August this year now..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Darren_Bellinger
FrontOfficeGrand, General Manager at Lti Pestana Grand, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for spending your time on writing and express your kind opinion.
We are of course delighted that you have enjoyed you stay so much and are returning next August. We appreciate your loyalty and your kind words, our aim at the lti Pestana Grand is to ensure the best holiday experience for all our guests.

Looking forward to welcome you in August, we remain with kindest regards.

Yours sincerely
London
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We have just got back from a week away at the Pestana Grand. We had a sea view room which was superb; the bed was huge and the view from the balcony was spectacular. We stayed B&B and the breakfasts were lovely and the staff were very friendly.
Each evening we ate out locally without having to travel into town and the choice and variety was good. The Real Canoa, My Way and the Doca Do Cavacas were all great choices.
we travelled with Thomson and were well looked after and did the West tour with some great views. The cable car and gardens were well worth the effort & money.
Overall a really good place to stay and want to go back soon!!

Room Tip: Choose sea view - worth the extra few pounds.
3 Thank Raynor_9
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for staying at our Hotel.
We appreciated your comments and tips, depending on one´s expectations during there stay, it´s also important to chose the appropriate room type!
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

With kind regards
Maria Da Paz Garcia
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013

WOW! If you have never been to Funchal, get booking!! You will have the time of your life! I stayed at the Pestana Grand Hotel for a week, and it was simply fabulous! This was my first time to Funchal, and I chose the Pestana Grand almost randomly via an online recommendation. The hotel about 40 minutes from the airport, towards the edge of the city centre. Upon arrival our luggage was whisked away to our room while we enjoyed a complimentary glass of Madeira wine. We were checked in and all our questions answered in detail by very helpful staff. I had chosen a side sea view room, which was on the first floor. At first I thought I should ask for one on a higher floor, but on second thoughts, I had a fantastic view of the beautifully manicured gardens, surrounding the sparkling blue pool, with the ocean in the background. At night the gardens were tastefully lit, transforming th gardens into a peaceful wonderland! The room was tastefully furnished and felt bright, light and airy. There was a sofa, armchair, writing table, tv, minibar... and all the usual things one would expect to find in a hotel of this calibre. Although I was surprised that the TV in this room was not a large flat screen.. But I guess it will be replaced by a more modern one in due course...

The bathroom was beautiful, with black floor riles and a granite vanity slab. The shower was excellent with mixers and plenty of water pressure. I had my first experience using a bidet, and have to say that this is something that I never knew I needed till I tried one!!

One of the most noticeable features of the room was the tranquility! The whole hotel is a quiet peaceful place, and although there were a few families with children, we were never aware of any noise!

The staff were all friendly and cheerful, and the service was efficient and swift! SInce the main reason for this holiday was to celebrate my and my girlfriend's birthdays -conveniently just one day apart- we found a lovely bottle of bubbly on ice in our room on each of the first two days!

We had booked the breakfast buffet each morning, and were delighted to find a huge selection of fruits, cereals, breads, cheeses, ham... just everything that is expected! The chef prepares any style of eggs upon request - I found it difficult to resist his omelets each morning, along with grilled tomatoes, a different potato dish each day, sausages, choritzo... No surprise, there was traditional Madeira honey cake available and of course bubbly and a variety of fruit juices. Tea and coffee was served at the table, and as we had come to expect, the staff were friendly and efficient every time!

We had the buffet dinners once or twice, and enjoyed a variety of entertainment in the Piano bar each evening after dinner when we were in! I would recommend in particular the Madeira buffet evening, which was followed by traditional local folk music and dancing!

By day, the poolside was irresistible, and when the sun became a bit too much, we moved indoors to the spa and enjoyed the indoor pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. There is a hairdresser and various massage and beauty treatments available along with a gym.

If I were to try hard to find any down-sides to the Pestana Grand, they would be that the hotel is not in the city centre, (Which might be seen as an advantage!) but the number of surrounding restaurants is limited by the location. We tried two, the Barcheiro and Real Canoa and both were excellent.

The other disappointing feature -And this is not unique to this hotel- is that the 'double rooms' are made up of two full size single beds pushed together. This may be fine for two friends travelling together, but I'm sure that any loving couple would agree that this is not ideal. Inevitably my girlfriend and I each had a turn to fall through the middle.. we managed to find it amusing, but I do think that European hotel managers and directors need to survey their customers and have a number of bedrooms furnished with decent large beds for couples who prefer this.

There is a courtesy bus that runs to the town centre regularly, and of course the very good and reasonably priced city busses. There is a small supermarket just next door, which was very useful and seemed to be open most of the time, even on Sundays!

Well worth a stay!

Room Tip: Side Sea view rooms on the West side have a balcony that is ideal for private afternoon sun from mid...
7 Thank Allan D
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your wonderful comments, this is what we always try do, help all our customers to provide memorable moments and excede their expectations, to last for life.
I write on behalf of all the Grand Team that, we are here to assist no matter what.
It was our pleasure to welcome you at both of your birthdays at the Pestana Grand and sincerely hope that you will celebrate them again with us very soon.
A quick note to add that we have kingsize beds on our availability, this is treated as a request, once we receive it and if available at the time, we would naturaly allocate one. Please be so kind to email us on a future visit we shall be more than happy to be assist you on this type or other requests!

With Kind regards
Maidstone
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This hotel is situated about 2miles outside Funchal but this didn't cause any problems. Bus services are plentiful and the hotel run a complimentary coach regularly throughout the day unti 1900 hours.

The accommodation is fresh and up to date and although we were on the 1st floor we still have a sea view. Evening entertainment, although it went on until 2330 most nights, did not disturb us. The parrot show is not worth a look though.

The apartment cleaners were not as thorough as Pestana Carlton Maderia but otherwise the rest of the resort was very clean and tidy.

Euro50 utility fee again - but at least we didnt have to pay for parking and umbrellas at the poolside. Plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas available. Pool staff help to move beds if you need to relocate them.

Free WiFi in reception area. Satelite TV in the rooms and it is possible to hire a DVD player and discs. Despite our RCI information sheet saying there was a CD/MP3 player/docking station in the rooms - we didn't have one.

The biggest downside to the room was the lack of storage space in the kitchen area. If you are self catering there was no room to store any food you had purchased, but apart from this there was plenty of cutlery, crockery etc.

Staff are much more friendly here, than Carlton Madeira, and the Welcome Meeting was much more informative. i.e. Purchase a bus ticket at a newsagent, for instance, and the fares are cheaper than on the bus. Also the first time you swipe your ticket allows you transfer to another bus within the hour and you don't get charged again.

Would definitely stay at Pestana Grand again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher than the 1st floor facing the sea, not the road.
3 Thank Jamise
PestanaGrand, Guest Relations Manager at Lti Pestana Grand, responded to this review, March 3, 2015
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing us.
We really hope you have had a great time with us and hope to see you again in the future.
With kind regards from all of us.

Miguel Grosse