The Regency Cliff is a small hotel -around 50 rooms - situated about 4 km from the centre of Funchal. This was our first stay and we will be back!
We had a Superior room, which was a generous size, with a balcony with views of the bay. The room was very comfortable and the bathroom was fine too, We were on floor two which was fine although the next floor down would have been level with the outside swimming pool and probably less private when using the balcony.
My wife and I had half board and ate in the hotel every evening. The restaurant was on the top floor with stunning views and provided inside and outside seating. With the glorious weather we ate outside every night and that really added to our holiday experience. Some meals were waiter served while on other nights there was a buffet. The latter offered more choice but our preference was for the waiter service evenings. The food was good; not a real "foodie" experience but enjoyable all the same and in 9 days we didn't have a "meal to forget". Three nights a week live music is provided over dinner which added to the ambience.
A lot of guests opted to walk into Funchal to eat and there are lots of restaurants nearby by all accounts. We prefer to change and eat in and will do the same next year. One downside was that some guests were "tidy casual" for dinner and some came along in shorts and tee shirts. We are a bit old fashioned and think people ought to make the effort and perhaps the hotel should introduce a dress code for the restaurant.
The outside swimming pool is quite small (circular) but has plenty of loungers and sun shades. Elsewhere there were comfortable seats in a small gargen area by the side of the restaurant, but these lacked shade, I guess the problem at that height (floor 6) is that small sun shades would be vulnerable to the wind. There is an inside pool too I believe, but we didn't venture there.
The staff at this hotel were friendly and cheerful and very welcoming. I wouldn't want to mention any by name but the three ladies in the bar/restaurant were charming and always had a smile. On evening a bedside bulb in our room blew and the receptionist went out of her way to find a bulb in the maintenance workshop and fit it. That was excellent service and probably beyond the call of duty for the average reception staff.
Wi-fi is free but a bit weak on the lower floors.
The hotel provide a taxi service to and from the town several times a day although I believe this is limited to 8 people. We walked (about 45 minutes) or used the excellent bus service. It is a relatively long way into town but saying that all the guests we spoke to tackled it quite happily. An opportunity to see the local cats (all very contented looking) and to count the lizards!
Our rating for the hotel is judged against its price. It is extremely good value for money and considerably cheaper than hotels we have stayed in in Italy which provided a lesser standard.
The Madeiran people are friendly, polite, stop for you at crossings, give up seats on the bus.
All just added to an excellent holiday!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Inaugurated in May 2001, Madeira Regency Cliff is a 4 star boutique hotel, just 5 minutes away from the bustling city centre of the capital, offering stunning views over its cliff-top location. This beautiful stylish hotel offers 59 tastefully designed rooms, including 2 suites and 6 Jr. suites.All rooms equipped with cable TV, Flat screens, Air Conditioning, safe, mini-bar (with fee), coffee and tea facilities.Suites and Jr. Suites equipped with coffee machine Nespresso, trouser press and MP3/DVD player.Connecting rooms are also available.Hotel Facilities: Wi.Fi internet access in Lobby and rooms , Fitness room, turkish bath, massage room, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools, restaurant with possibility to eat outdoor, bar and pool bar.From the hotel there is also a direct access to the Lido Promenade. Shops and restaurants in surrounding areas (Shopping Centre 50metres) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com and Travelocity so you can book your Madeira Regency Cliff reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Madeira Regency Cliff Hotel Funchal
- Regency Hotel Funchal
- Madeira Regency Cliff Funchal