With around 60 rooms this small hotel has a lovely feel, perched on the cliff above the sea. It is 'upside down', in that you enter at street level but what you see above that is private apartments. The street level is the reception, lounge and dining area and all the rooms are below that as the cliffside drops to the sea. There is a lift! Stylish modern decor, shiny marble floors and lovely outside spaces give it a luxurious feel. We moved from a lowest floor room as it was overlooked by people walking across the terrace. Our superior room was very spacious with a comfortably furnished terrace overlooking the sea front below.
We had booked B&B and breakfast was a hot and cold buffet served until 10:30 - very civilised. All the staff seemed to be Portuguese and were very attentive. We took up the dinner offer of 4 dinners for Euros 84 per person. For your 21 euros you have a glass of Madeira, a starter, main and dessert plus coffee. Very nice food and good value. Wine is not expensive and they keep it in their fridge for the next meal.
We had a hire car so did not use the shuttle service. Driving here is a challenge as it is so mountainous, so beware if you hate big drops! It allowed us to see a lot in a week but others booked trips from the hotel. Contrary to stories Madeira is not just for older people. You need to be quite fit to cope with the hills and the walk into Funchal was too much for me. However there is a good bus service and lots ofpeople were using it.Several restaurants are a shorter walk away and there was a shopping centre nearby.
Funchal centre was lovely with Christmas lights in hundreds of trees. A lifesize crib being built along the main street and the promise of a Christmas market the following week made us wish we could stay longer. Sitting in the sunshine eating an ice cream with Christmas all around was wonderful. Next year we hope to go for New Year!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Inaugurated in May 2001, Madeira Regency Cliff is a 4 star boutique hotel, just 5 minutes away from the bustling city centre of the capital, offering stunning views over its cliff-top location. This beautiful stylish hotel offers 59 tastefully designed rooms, including 2 suites and 6 Jr. suites.All rooms equipped with cable TV, Flat screens, Air Conditioning, safe, mini-bar (with fee), coffee and tea facilities.Suites and Jr. Suites equipped with coffee machine Nespresso, trouser press and MP3/DVD player.Connecting rooms are also available.Hotel Facilities: Wi.Fi internet access in Lobby and rooms , Fitness room, turkish bath, massage room, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools, restaurant with possibility to eat outdoor, bar and pool bar.From the hotel there is also a direct access to the Lido Promenade. Shops and restaurants in surrounding areas (Shopping Centre 50metres) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Madeira Regency Cliff reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Madeira Regency Cliff Hotel Funchal
- Regency Hotel Funchal
- Madeira Regency Cliff Funchal