Quinta Das Vistas Palace Gardens
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewscharming hotelspanoramic viewshower curtainold townshuttle bushalf boardrestaurant terracesister hotelother hotelssome tlctown centrehotel minibusturn rightshuttle servicehotel operatesset mealmadeira holiday
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We loved the old fashioned charm of this place and really enjoyed our weeks stay here on what used to be a grand old estate. The hillside location is stunning and the view over the bay and town of Funchal town and its sweeping mountains enjoyed from our balcony was wonderful. Our first view when we arrived in the early evening with all the sparkling lights was magical and I loved the way the weather changed the view constantly, the top of the mountain often shrouded in fog. Breakfast is served on the terrace and the sunrise was worth getting up for too. The room was spacious, with a comfortable king sized bed and large well appointed bathroom. I appreciated the complimentary bottle of madeira and enjoyed learning about and sampling this individual fortified wine in its various forms.
The spa treatments were wonderful. The hotel has a goodsized indoor heated pool and a small unheated outdoor pool which was great to dip in as we enjoyed temperatures of 28 degrees plus every day. The sunbathing area has nice views and never felt crowded. You can get drinks and bar snacks. Sometimes there was waiter service by the pool but my main complaint about the place was that the barstaff were often unavailable and room service quite often did not answer the phone. This was perhaps because we were not staying there in high season and they had cut staff but it felt like they were a man down all the time and in this level of hotel that sort of thing rankles. The staff were generally friendly and helpful but overall, with a couple of exceptions, I found them a little lacking in warmth again in comparison to the level of service I usually experience in this class of hotel.
The food was pretty good and I liked that they featured only Portuguese wine on their list. They have a dine around programme and we tried the Quinta da Monte which I did not rate and the Quinta do Estreito which was lovely both for the food and the views of Camara dos Lobos. A free shuttle bus, which you need to book in order to avoid disappointment, is provided to these other hotels, as well as into town although taxis are pretty reasonable in Funchal.
So with the exception of some slow and not always smiling service we felt the hotel lived up to its billing in the Charming Hotel group and would certainly think about going back.

Room Tip: the panoramic view is worth the extra charge room charge
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mousefindsout
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I really enjoyed it here, its a very beautiful hotel, romantic and charming place overlooking Funchal. Our room was excellent, the food was great and I also really enjoyed the one day at the spa. Very lovely place and for sure we will come back again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hotel has a touch of class, has excellent facilities and is in an ideal situation for a peaceful holiday. The staff are very courteous and polite and always did their best to make our stay comfortable. The General Manager is warm and friendly and welcomes you to his hotel personally. Our room was excellent and air-conditioned but the wardrobe space was a little limited as another reviewer has commented. The garden is peaceful and enjoys the same vistas which gives the hotel its name. But why the derelict and unused "crazy golf" course? And I would like the penned swans to be given their freedom.
The breakfasts buffet at the hotel has a very wide choice, was very good (except for the flat champagne) and with the views from the restaurant terrace made a splendid start to each day but the evening meals for half board diners are to a set "gourmet" menu. I tried very hard to keep an open mind and endeavored to enjoy the "gourmet" experience but my wife likes traditional food and could not find anything to her taste... We stayed half board because we knew the hotel was out of the centre but we now wish we had taken the short and inexpensive Taxi rides to the Old Town each evening to experience more of the ambiance of Madeira and sample the local cuisine.
If however you do book half board but prefer hearty traditional meals then you can use the free courtesy bus to take you to a sister hotel "Quinta do Estreito" and dine in the informal "Adega da Quinta" Restaurant where you will receive a warm and friendly welcome and you will have a fabulous view over Camara de Lobos. But to avoid disappointment book well in advance for the limited places especially on" Folklore" night.

Room Tip: Our room 202 was cool and quiet and had patio doors directly onto a secluded screened garden but was without the views. We liked it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Phillog
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Hotel is in a great location high on a hill overlooking Funchal town and harbour.Breakfast is very good but the menu in the resteraunt is very pretentious and in 12 days did not change. Staff are very helpful when you can find them. The cleaning staff took one week to find choclolates for the turn down service. It is a 20 minute walk down a very narrow and steep road to Funchal town where there are many resteraunts...cab fare back from town averaged 5 euros, well worth it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Peter P
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My wife and I were on our ten years wedding anniversary trip and chose this hotel because of the reviews. Many aspects of the hotel were indeed enjoyable: breakfast is excellent, the pools are pleasant with great view, the room was clean for the whole week, and there's free parking.
Unfortunately, we were very disappointed by the service however.
To begin with, I approached the hotel beforehand by email with some questions that would have been useful as regards celebrating our wedding day. I never got any reply. The emails reached the hotel, however, because when we arrived, the person in the reception said to me that they are going to arrange a surprise for us to our hotel room at our wedding day. Yet, they never arranged anything. Now I'm not expecting a hotel (even a five star hotel) to pay attention to my wedding day but I find it dissatisfying that they say they would arrange something and then do not do it.
Then we made the mistake of reserving a nice table with a view over Funchal from the hotel restaurant for our celebratory dinner. I won't repeat all the mistakes but only three (!) of them: First, the table we asked was not available and the restaurant had decided to solve this situation by not reserving any table for us. Thus we ended having a table in the middle of the room; lessening all the romantic vibes of this celebratory dinner.
Second, my wife's stomach cannot handle onion. She told about this to the waiter, and he said that there was no onion in her main course and that he also tells about this restriction to the kitchen. Nevertheless, all the clams and their sauce was rich in onion. As a result, she left most of the main course (27e...) untouched. When we mentioned this to the waiter, we didn't get any apology just a comment "ouh, I'll tell that to the kitchen".
Third, when we get the bill (which we had not asked at that moment yet), it didn't include the desserts. I had not noticed this, and the waiter only noticed this after I had signed it. At that moment he said that he'll bring us the new bill. We finished our drinks and waited the new bill. And waited. And waited. At the end they made us wait the bill (in now empty restaurant) for ten minutes because they didn't bring the right bill in the first time.
The lesson of our visit: the hotel is nice but the service can be very poor (even for two star hotel, not to mention five star hotel). It is fine if you do not want anything special. Then again, if you want to be certain that things work, choose some other hotel. The final case on this point: at check-out I left my email address to the manager with a note that if they would like to know why I was disappointed about the hotel, they could contact me. They haven't.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple