Stayed here in February - first time we have been here at this time of year. Temperature was in low low 60s or 18 /19 degrees. Lots warmer than the UK but did not feel warm enough to swim outside but we did sunbathe or some days and got quite a tan on some days. It was hot enough to sit out and eat at lunchtime but had to eat inside in the evenings. Hotel was still as lovely as ever. Service very good. The rooms are well specced with everything you could need in the kitchen. The cleaners come in every day and fold your nightear into fancy shapes and leave little chocolates on the pillows. Love the decor, especially all the Tribal art collection and the view from the room. The only downside was the lack of wi-fi, you have to pay to be wired in.
There is still lots to do at this time of year. One day we hired a taxi to Porto Monix. We have been here for the swimming in the summer but it was fantastic to see it in the winter. The waves were enormous and the sea looked like a boiling cauldron - see our photos but on shore there was no wind and you could sit on the edge of the sea with a coffee taking in the sun but next to a raging sea. Amazing.
It was lovely to get some sunshine at this time of year - would recommend a winter visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Savoy Hotel is situated in a privileged oceanfront location overlooking the harbour of Funchal. The city's fascinating historic and cultural centre are close by. Funchal's Old Town district, the bustling Marina, beautiful city gardens, Municipal Theatre, city squares adored with outdoor cafes & esplanades, Shopping Centres, Museums and many more interesting places to visit are just a stone's throw away. This Hotel offers 12 spacious standard rooms, 101 junior suites plus 59 superior suites with one or two bedrooms, each elegantly decorated providing the utmost quality and comfort whilst creating a unique exotic atmosphere. All rooms have an ample furnished balcony and enjoy magnificent ocean views. All junior suites have their own kitchenette, sofa bed, refrigerator bar, cable and interactive flat screen TV, DVD player, Internet, electronic room safe and a full bathroom with separate shower, hairdryer and bathrobes. The superior suites have 1 or 2 bedrooms, kitchen, sofa bed, refrigerator bar, interactive cable, flat screen TV, DVD surround sound system, electronic room safe and 2 or 3 bathrooms (master-bathroom equipped with bathtub and separate shower), hair dryer and bathrobes. All rooms have free internet wireless system. This stunning complex is architecturally designed to allow you to appreciate to the full extent the beautiful breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean. Enjoy the wide variety of both on-site and off-site leisure facilities and entertainment services, including heated indoor pool; gymnasium; a luxury spa where you can enjoy the free use of the sauna, steam room and tropical shower; games room; hairdresser, free internet wireless system, fine a-la-carte and buffet restaurant, piano bar with nightly live musical entertainment and pool snack bar, 2 outdoor sea-water swimming pools (one heated), jacuzzi, and children's splash pool. We also feature a spacious sundeck and terrace coupled with shady and lush sub-tropical gardens, which are further adorned with a barbecue area, a short seaside promenade, fountains and water cascades, private sea access and outdoor games area - all providing maximum holiday ambience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, ACCOR, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Royal Savoy Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Savoy Funchal
- Savoy Funchal
- Royal Savoy Hotel Funchal
- Royal Savoy Resort Funchal
- Royal Savoy Hotel Madeira/Funchal