This is a really nice four star plus holiday hotel with all the facilities you'd expect. It is not five star luxury but is of a good quality. The location is good and just 5 minutes walk to the Forum Madeira shopping centre and 40 minutes walk to the town. We also used the local bus which stops one minute walk away.
The room was large with twin beds, two easy chairs, a desk with chair and balcony with table and chairs (we got the sun all morning) and a side sea view. It was a bit noisy with the balcony door open due to the proximity of the main road but this runs along the sea front so if you want views, you get the road too. With the door shut we didn't notice any noise. There was a fridge and water/ fizzy drinks were replenished every day. There was a free in-room safe and air conditioning was included (although I am sure I'd read somewhere that it wasn't, so I checked upon arrival). The bathroom had a full size bath with shower tap and there was a separate full size shower, a sink, toilet and bidet. Towelling bath robes were provided and pool towels were free and could be picked up each day in the spa (you simply exchanged a 'card' for a towel).
For the indoor pool you must have a swim cap and we forgot ours so didn't use it. Of course you can buy them at the spa if your use of the pool makes it worthwhile. The outdoor pool has a shallow end but the deep end is still only about 4 ft deep so it felt very safe. Some people complained about the sun loungers around the pool. Apart from them being very low which meant it was tricky to get on/ off them, we didn't have a problem except cleaning and hosing down the outdoor areas took place at 9am/9.30am so it was always wet when you wanted to use them after breakfast.
The meals were of good quality although a bit repetitive. There were labels on most dishes and most staff were very helpful if you asked whether a dish contained meat or fish. It was nice to be served drinks at dinner (rather than having to line up for the wine/ beer dispenser as at other hotels). Most of our stay the service was good, but the last couple of days we had to wait to get drinks with dinner. There seemed to be fewer staff those days. One reviewer mentioned the lines at the Sports Bar. We only experienced this a couple of times as we used the self-service wine, water and juice from the poolside eatery rather than the bar itself. There was always plenty of seating and a pleasant atmosphere.
The evening entertainments was low key - piano music in the lobby, live bands in the 'bar' area or by the poolside. As our room was on the same floor as the lobby we only experienced a bit of noise on the evenings when the entertainment was on that floor. A bit more seating here would have been useful although there was a large area under this bar that didn't seem to get much use. Overall the lobby was a bright and open space and we preferred to use this in the evening.
I would recommend this hotel for an excellent value, high standard hotel close to the town centre and amenities. I think it would suit older people, couples and groups looking for relaxation, rather than families with young children.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enotel Lido Madeira is a comfortable 5 star hotel located in the main touristic area, situated above the ocean with direct access to the oceanfront promenade and just 5 minutes from the centre of Funchal. There are 270 comfortable rooms available including balcony with a ocean side view, air conditioning, cable TV, hairdryer, mini bar, separate bath and shower, bathrobes, telephone with direct outside line and voicemail facility there are also 47 Suites with a Jacuzzi, coffee and tea making facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Enotel Lido Madeira reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Enotel Lido Madeira Hotel Funchal
- Tivoli Madeira Funchal
- Tivoli Madeira Hotel Funchal
- Enotel Lido Madeira Funchal