“Worth The Money”

Enotel Lido Madeira
Ranked #22 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Just home from a week here. The hotel is spotlessly clean & the staff are lovely. A few tips, if you want branded drinks, ask for them by name, e.g. Smirnoff & Coke rather than just vodka & coke. Most main line spirits are included on all inclusive. Tyhe food in the buffet restaurant is typical all inclusive, everything in sauce. However, there were a few nights when the food was really good, Salmon, Crevettes, etc. Always loads of salad, 2 different sort of potatoes, pasta & rice, you couldn't starve! If it is not hot enough for you ,there is a microwave in the restaurant. The hotel does seem to be geared up for the older generation, especially the entertainment, however, we still managed to enjoy most of it. All in all, I would go back to this hotel if I wanted just a chill out week, rather than an active/lively holiday

Room Tip: We were in 950 which is 9th floor side sea view overlooking the road. You get the sun in the afterno...
1  Thank debbz007
There are newer reviews for Enotel Lido Madeira

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Great hotel located about 40mins walk to the city. Great staff always smiling and joking, rooms are clean and well kept BUT:
- no free wifi; they do have a couple of PC in reception
- take a hat if you are going to use the swimming pool, else pay $4 for a hat
- If having G&T ask for Gordons (no extra charge)
- the spa etc are not part of the "all inclusive"

Do the promanade walk to the next fishing village along the coast. There are a couple of private beaches were you have to go to the main road.

Do tours of the West, East and the Nuns valley tours, this is really a nice island to see. Lots of other walks can also be done.

If you stay at this hotel, go to the local shopping place (left out of the back of the hotel and on about 10mins walk. Upstairs there's a tour operator who does several walking tours.
Beware of the cheap tours which are OK but will not tour all the places or book a nice restuarant for lunch

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea. Try and get one with a double bed, rather than 2 singles.
4  Thank LostInSpaceMan
Idalina Maria S, Gerente geral at Enotel Lido Madeira, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

We have received and carefully read your comments about our Hotel services. Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your opinion and suggestions for they are very important to us and can always help us to improve our services. We can assure you that we will continue to do our best in order to guarantee the high quality of service at the Enotel Lido, which you may witness in the near future.
We thank you for your co-operation and we would like to take this opportunity to send you our best wishes for both your professional and private life.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed April 24, 2013

As this was our first “all inclusive” holiday, we tried very hard to find fault, but we couldn’t – It really is a nice hotel. Yes we had a few niggles, the beds were really hard, a piece of patio furniture was broken, a shower head leaked – but within minutes of informing reception, these were put right. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff of this very friendly and well run hotel. The location is perfect, lovely evening walks along the Lido, great local restaurants if you fancied eating out, and an easy 40 mins stroll into Funchal. I agree with other posters that this is not a traditional 5 star standard (in the sense of Luxury hotels like the Reid), but a very good and comfortable 4 all inclusive holiday resort. We will defiantly return.

Room Tip: Great all inclusive comfortable hotel
1  Thank YOGIBEZ

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your nice comments and we are extremely pleased to know that you have enjoyed your holiday at the ENOTEL LIDO Madeira.

We thank you for sharing your happiness with us and we can assure you that we will continue to do our best in order to guarantee a quality service to our guests.

We are pleased for your co-operation and we would like to take this opportunity to send you our best regards.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We enjoyed our first experience of an "all included" hotel. The extensive buffet arrangements for breakfast, lunch and dinner always included something each of us fancied. Service was usually good and certainly positive and smiling, though occasionally the main restaurant got too busy in the evening for the staff to cope as effectively as usual. Wines were not of particularly good quality, the house white being somewhat acid and hard, the red drinkable. Other than that drinks were available almost round the clock and of fairly good quality. If you're preferred brand isn't on the 'included' list you can pay extra for it. Our bedroom was spacious and comfortable. Room service was 10 euros extra, which would have been reasonable for a meal served in your room, but not for a cup of coffee! We travel with a travelling kettle and a couple of mugs and I recommend this approach - don't always want to take the lift to the bar for a coffee. Funchal town centre is about forty or fifty minutes walk if you don't mind some hills; taxis are cheap and reasonably priced. There are shops, reastaurants and cash machines nearby.

3  Thank 295horace
Idalina Maria S, Gerente geral at Enotel Lido Madeira, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are glad to know that your expectations have overall been fulfilled.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion, as it is very important to us. We can assure you that we will continue to do our best in order to guarantee the high quality of service at Enotel Lido Madeira, which you may witness in your next visit here.

Once again ‘Obrigado’ and I would like to take this opportunity to send you our best wishes for both your professional and private life.

Kind regards,

Luís Guimarães

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We have just returned today from staying at this resort.
All aspects of this hotel are excellent. Food is varied and you have options to choose specific restaurants that are included in inclusive package.
Very clean.excellent bar service and polite staff.
Would recommend.

Room Tip: Sea view a must
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Idalina Maria S, Gerente geral at Enotel Lido Madeira, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are glad to know that your expectations have overall been fulfilled.

We thank you for your co-operation and I would like to take this opportunity to send you our best wishes for both your professional and private life.

Kind regards,

Luís Guimarães

Reviewed April 19, 2013

My family and I have just returned from a lovely week at the Enotel Lido. Prior to check-in, we were told that we would have a junior suite allocated as we are with RCI and exchanged our week. Upon check-in, we discovered that were actually upgraded to a full suite with kitchen which was a nice surprise. However, I asked if we could have the junior suite due to the large balcony, which I really had my heart set on from the pictures as the full suite had no view. The balconies on the junior suite overlook the sea and are spectacular! Very large and well equipped. The sofa bed is only big enough for 1 so they added in a small bed for my 4 year old which worked out perfectly. The room was cleaned spotlessly each day and linen changed. My only complaint in the room is more of a need-to-know. The hair dryer which is your standard mounted to the wall type is just useless. It took 15 minutes to get a child's hair dry. For an adult, it was hopeless. I would've packed my own hair dryer had I known. My hair dried quicker on the balcony.

All of the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful, from the bar staff to the restaurant staff and at times many remembered my girls drink preferences as well as our own and were generous with the pour. I noticed that a lot of the staff moved around from place to place but always were on the ball. Regarding the food.., I'm a bit fussy but managed to find something at each meal. I'm not a huge seafood eater so I struggled at times. The breads and desserts were my favorite. My youngest is also very fussy so we had to take a few trips out for "chicken nuggets." Breakfast was by far my favorite meal; the spread was amazing and coffee tasty and I really miss being back in the real world and not having Mimosa’s. The food at all meals was served hot, despite some of the reviews I read earlier. They even had warmed plates on hand. Out of the themed restaurants, I enjoyed the Italian and the Madeiran the most (though our meal at the Madeiran was overshadowed by the loudest group of adults I've ever heard in my life- really ruined the atmosphere for everyone else dining). The Japanese was ok but once again I struggled as there were a lot of fish dishes and the courses seemed strange - the fish comes out with the veg & the meat comes out with the rice. There were a lot of courses. My husband wasn't very impressed with the sushi. The concept and effort that went into the meal (presentation) was superb. Don't bring food back to your room. Even on the 9th floor, we had ants find the food. (My youngest was poorly one day so we brought some food back)

We are a family with 2 young children - 4 & 10. I struggled to find other reviews of families with children of similar age, so I was a bit worried. When we arrived, we quickly realized that there just aren't many families visiting. The hotel staff were very welcoming of our children. We did have quite a few snarly looks from guests from the older age group who generally seemed annoyed that children were even allowed on the property, specifically one lady who cursed at my daughter in the pool for bumping into her during a water aerobics session. Other times I saw people get up and move away if we sat down near them at the buffet. Wow. My children are very well behaved so it was a bit of a shock to see guests behaving as if we brought wild animails. My youngest went to Eno-Kids quite a few times which at this time of year is open from 1100-1300 & 1500-1730. We really appreciated the breaks but I felt a bit bad that there were no other children in the program. Maybe during the summer season it picks up. Elsa runs it, who is also one of the dancers on staff was amazing with my daughter. She really helped to make the trip special. She’s a keeper! I think that older children might be a bit bored here though.

My husband and I were able to enjoy some time in the spa and I had a massage from Joana, which was very relaxing. The spa in general was nice, the wet area being a nice treat. I enjoyed the floating salt pool and the power shower, steam room, sitting area, etc. but thought the hot tubs were not nearly hot enough. It is also VERY dark in the wet area, with tricky steps that have rails made out of branches, literally. I could see this being a bit of a safety issue for those with mobility issues. My other complaint about the spa is that there were no toiletries whatsoever. In every spa I've ever been to, there was something mounted on the wall in the showers to use - body wash. The showers are lovely but unless you know to bring your own soaps, useless really. In general, when I think of 5 Star, I think of Molton Brown toiletries and that was not the case here. The toiletries in the room were very basic. My daughters both had haircuts by the hairdresser who was very nice. She did a great job and the price was fair. We found the entertainment to be a bit cheesy, but my girls enjoyed it.

Overall, I would rate it a 5 Star in terms of service, but a 4 in terms of furnishings/décor in the rooms. We had an issue where we realized a few days in that both of the locks on our balconies were broken so at any point, someone could’ve literally walked into our room. When I raised the issue at the front desk, someone was sent to fix the locks literally within the hour which was really nice. You can tell that they’ve started to redesign the hotel as the lobby and common areas are spectacular, but the décor in the rooms still seems a bit old/dated. The 5th floor in the hotel was particularly beautiful but I felt it was a bit of a wasted space .

Overall, I don’t think that we’d return to Madeira as we didn’t find the Island a right fit for us in terms of it being a very family oriented place. However, we would stay at another Enotel property if we had the chance. Thanks again!

Room Tip: Rooms higher up have a better view and the Junior Suite balconies are amazing!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank icechik74
Idalina Maria S, Gerente geral at Enotel Lido Madeira, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed here first week in April. Weather mixed, with equal sun, rain and wind. Didn't spoil things though. Bar Staff are the best we've ever come across. Nothing fazes them and always a smile. Cleaners are also excellent and left our room spotless. Room 921 is perfect with lovely views over the pool area and the sea.
Entire hotel is kept very clean and tidy. Pool area pleasant to sit at and have a meal from the snack bar. We didn't use the Spa area but many did. Facilities look excellent.
Main restaurant offers a wide and varied choice and food is excellent. The three themed restaurants are also highly commendable and service is great.We went to all three but you do need to book early. Special thanks to Katharina who managed to book them for us before we arrived and also for the courtesy follow up call to our room to make sure everything was all right. My hubby had a birthday on the day before we were to come home and there was an iced bucket with a bottle of champagne left in the room for him. This was a very nice, personal touch and a perfect way to round off our holiday. We were both delighted with this and I'd like to thank the Hotel staff for their kind consideration.
Apart from one or two issues, I can't fault the hotel.
One of these was an attempt to charge my payment card for 60 euros at check-in. This was for pool towels, but I had brought my own so didn't need them. Small issue at check-out trying to persuade the male receptionist that I didn't have tickets to return for the towels.
The other was the Enotel Plus operation where they offer you a free gift. When you enquire about it you need to attend a presentation, tour of the hotel, and opportunity to have holidays with the Enotel Chain for the next five years for under £3000. However they wanted a deposit on the day of 20%. Not for us and was really a waste of our holiday time. Our free gift was a 2 for 1 tour of the west of the island. We didn't sign up to Enotel Plus so didn't get any lunch included as the others on the tour did. Left in a dingy snack bar under the restaurant that didn't sell food, for 1 and a 1/2 hours. Not a good day especially as the weather was so miserable.
This had nothing to do with the Enotel Lido Hotel though and when we go back, as we do very much want to, we will be very wary of the leaflet that comes under the door.
I can highly recommend this hotel for excellent service, cleanliness, food, and location. The entertainment was a bit hit and miss but that ddn't bother us too much.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice as far as we saw and most have a side sea view, but ask for a pool view to make s...
1  Thank Taraboo20
Idalina Maria S, Gerente geral at Enotel Lido Madeira, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013