“Friendly, welcoming atmosphere”

Ranked #55 of 644 Restaurants in Funchal
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We always visit the Estrella do Mar whilst in Funchal. The staff here are so friendly and obliging, and always welcoming. Service is excellent and not rushed. The food is very reasonable for the quality, including flambe steak (excellent). Very good value and a very pleasant experience. Convenient Old Town location near Porto Santa Maria and Albergaria Dias hotels and the cable car.

1  Thank Cags63
There are newer reviews for Estrela do Mar

Reviewed March 5, 2013

It was fine but the food is a bit dated- large portions but a big plate of potatoes and veg with my fish was a little overpowering. Fish was swamped by the sauces ( banana for me and seafood sauce for my husband). A safe bet but nothing special.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Estrella do Mar has been one of our favourites for years, but this time (Feb 2013) I thought that standards had slipped. Had mussels (not well cooked and little flavour), espetada steak(not very tender, and salt cod (not a success). Espada fish with banana was very good, so suggest care with the menu.

Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Lovely fresh swafood served in a warm friendly atmosphere. Un pressurized.
Very accomodating staff.
Competition from other restaurants is fierce but this one is worth the visit

1  Thank harrywalseth
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Strolling through the old town of Funchal on a bright sunny Christmas morning. So many restaurants open and trying to entice us in. Was actually heading for restaurant next door which had caught our eye when we arrived the previous afternoon. Unfortunately it was not open on Christmas Day. But now for the good news the Estrela do Mar was. Right from the moment we were seated I knew we had made a good choice. I won't bore you with a run down of my entire menu choice but sufficient to say we really enjoyed all three courses and the pork fillet I ordered was probably double the size I expected and cooked to perfection as was the wife's espetada (large steak skewer). I gave the wine waiter a description of the type of flavour I prefer and was delighted with his knowledge and choice. At all times the staff were courteous and the meal presented at a nicely balanced pace. Despite being half board and based very nearly a three mile walk away we made sure to return to this restaurant for what was to be an even better evening experience. We sat outside just away from heater/ feature fire which gave us the al fresco dining experience we both enjoy. There was live music with a reasonably good male singer which gave a good ambiance to the evening. The staff recognised us and we found that the service (and little freebies) were even an improvement on our previous visit. From our experience anyone who has a bad meal here would be either very unlucky or very hard to please. If we return to Madeira we will pick a more local hotel to this restaurant.

1  Thank Allan S